Player topic: Yaya Toure 2014/15 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can respect those who say I don't like Yaya for whatever reason (his style of play, his off field stuff, etc), and would prefer to replace his wages/cost with another player. What I don't understand is those who think Yaya even this season is a negative force on the team and is liability that needs to be replaced. These detractors don't even understand his primary role on the team is not to make those powerful runs, score goals or track back. The main way he has being utilized is to dictate play from deep and start majority of the attacking play.

Even if we were to use factors like goals, his 10 goals is not as good as last year, but 10 goals in 29 games from deep lying midfield player is a career year for most midfielders. Lets look closer at these goals, and count only match winning goals.

Villa (2-0)
Swansea (2-1)
Southampton (3-0)
Everton (1-0)
West Brom (3-1)
Swansea (4-2)

That is 6 match deciding goals (18 points). Compare this Aguero who is the leading goal scorer in the league and probably the best striker. Aguero has 5 to Yayas 6, and he is striker who plays exclusively in front of the goal.

Lets look closer at these goals, and count only match winning goals.

Villa (2-0)
Swansea (2-1)
Southampton (3-0)
Everton (1-0)
West Brom (3-1)
Swansea (4-2)

That is 6 match deciding goals (18 points). Compare this Aguero who is the leading goal scorer in the league and probably the best striker. Aguero has 5 to Yayas 6, and he is striker who plays exclusively in front of the goal.
Two points here. You talk about match winning goals, yes? That would be goals that convert 1 point to 3, yes? Using that as a rule of thumb then, you should really only be talking 12 points, not 18. Secondly, when a game has been won by more than one goal, I'm not sure how you can say that a goal Yaya has scored was the winning goal. That then rules out 4 of those 6 listed games, so you're down to 4 points, not the original 18.

Two points here. You talk about match winning goals, yes? That would be goals that convert 1 point to 3, yes? Using that as a rule of thumb then, you should really only be talking 12 points, not 18. Secondly, when a game has been won by more than one goal, I'm not sure how you can say that a goal Yaya has scored was the winning goal. That then rules out 4 of those 6 listed games, so you're down to 4 points, not the original 18.

Killjoy

Bollocks, not having that. I've just gone through Aguero's goals using this lads system and he won us 214 points this season and we won the league!

1st point is fair as its 12 points not 18 (draw gets you 6 points).

In terms of match winning goals, that is pretty simple. It is the decisive goal that gets you the full 3 points. If score is 2-0, the 1st goal is the decisive goal because the 2nd was unnecessary for the 3 points. This stat is not the be all of stats but to illustrate how Yaya's goal although not in abundance as last year were still key factor in the table standings.

Villa (2-0) - Broke deadlock in 82nd minute. Aguero scored in 88th. Which goal is more important?

Swansea (2-1) - Self explanatory (62nd minute goal)

Southampton (3-0) - 51st min goal / broke deadlock and held to be winner

Everton (1-0) - Self explanatory (24th minute goal)

West Brom (3-1) - 2nd goal (17th); Not as important as others b/c of West Brom goal at 87th minute

Swansea (4-2) - 74th minute goal (3-2); Bony 4th goal in extra time. Again, which was the decisive goal?

The West Brom technically is winning goal, but doesn't stand to scrutiny. That still is 5 goals directly leading to 10 points.

1st point is fair as its 12 points not 18 (draw gets you 6 points).

In terms of match winning goals, that is pretty simple. It is the decisive goal that gets you the full 3 points. If score is 2-0, the 1st goal is the decisive goal because the 2nd was unnecessary for the 3 points. This stat is not the be all of stats but to illustrate how Yaya's goal although not in abundance as last year were still key factor in the table standings.

Villa (2-0) - Broke deadlock in 82nd minute. Aguero scored in 88th. Which goal is more important?

Swansea (2-1) - Self explanatory (62nd minute goal)

Southampton (3-0) - 51st min goal / broke deadlock and held to be winner

Everton (1-0) - Self explanatory (24th minute goal)

West Brom (3-1) - 2nd goal (17th); Not as important as others b/c of West Brom goal at 87th minute

Swansea (4-2) - 74th minute goal (3-2); Bony 4th goal in extra time. Again, which was the decisive goal?

The West Brom technically is winning goal, but doesn't stand to scrutiny. That still is 5 goals directly leading to 10 points.
Can't see how you can count one goal as more important than the other in a two (or more) goal win. For instance, does the Aguero goal in the Villa game not effectively seal the points? Swansea, I gave him credit for (check my earlier post). Ditto Everton. In the Saints game, again, do the two late goals not kill off any hope Southampton had of salvaging something out off the game? The same argument could be applied to the Swansea game (the Bony goal). All conjecture, of course. And very subjective. But in my mind, any player can only be given credit for earning his side extra points if his goal(s) are the difference in the game. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.