Player topic: Yaya Toure 2014/15 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yaya as ambassador? Hope there's enough Ferraro Rocha to go round! I think he is a poor role model and wonder why he is vice captain. He certainly doesn't lead by example. Yes - he has certainly been magnificent in the past - and this season was always going to be tough for him - not only because he set such a high standard last year but also for the fact that his younger brother had died. I feel for the man - but the player has been well paid and needs to consider the fact that if key players are getting stick it's because they're no longer stepping up to the mark. His comments about Pellegrini and City are disrespectful. Of course he'll be missed - but his attitude won't be.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-footballer/25118/dark-clouds-yaya-toure-and-dimitri-seluk-cast-grim-shadow-over-manchester-city/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/arti ... ster-city/</a>

‘Dark clouds’ Yaya Toure and Dimitri Seluk cast grim shadow over Manchester City

Casting some kind of shadow in football is inevitable but there are good shadows and bad shadows.

Ian Wright’s shadow helped to inspire Thierry Henry to break the all-time goalscoring record for Arsenal that Wright had held for all of ten minutes.

And during the first season after retirement, the shadow of Sir Alex Ferguson loomed down from the stands at Old Trafford like an albatross and, ultimately, became too much for his Manchester United successor, David Moyes, to cope with.

This week, Yaya Toure and his insufferable agent, Dimitri Seluk, continued to cloud the skies over Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium following another round of self-serving comments.

“Some people at City are trying to blame Yaya for what has happened this season,” Seluk said. “But those people aren’t taking responsibility for their own mistakes.

“I am talking about executives who have bought players for a lot of money – and then put those players on the bench.

“Executives who spend a lot of money on Stevan Jovetic and then drop him from the Champions League squad. I feel sorry for [Manuel] Pellegrini. He’s a good coach but a weak manager.”

Whenever the storm clouds gather over the Etihad, Toure and Seluk shield themselves under the only umbrella in town.

They keep dry by issuing threats. They talk about not being loved, not being respected, being persecuted in the media more than other players at the club. They talk about former managers who they love and respect.

They never talk about what they are going to do to help the club out of the situation. Ever. They never talk about giving more or stepping up. They only talk about what they can take away.

I think that, at his best, Toure is a fantastic footballer, but there is a caveat to that. Success during Toure’s City career has, to my mind, come on his own terms.

Surround the 31-year-old with world-class talent and he finds it easy to stand out, covering blade after blade of grass and scoring goals from nothing.

But if one or two players around him should suffer a loss of form, and the form of the team dips as a result, then Toure struggles to step up to the plate, preferring instead to turn to his agent – who, in turn, goes to the Press to point fingers at others. That is not the mark of a true champion.

As if to prove the point, Toure offered the following comment when quizzed by a journalist as to his options this summer.

“For the future, I don’t know more than you do because I will always go where I am offered new challenges,” he said. “That is in my nature. When things are not necessarily going well in a club, the key players take the fall.”

The challenges for City next season don’t come any bigger. The club needs to find a way to wrest the Premier League title back from Chelsea while trying to improve on an unremarkable history in the Champions League.

Personally, I hope that Toure does go, even if it’s to Paris Saint-Germain – to my mind, a sideways step at best – because I’ve had my fill of hearing from Toure and his agent at how aggrieved they are with having everything that a player could ever want.

In terms of the players and their agents who I have seen in the game who have shown a lack of respect to a club and the people who work there, Toure and Seluk are right up there.

I find the contrived feel of their comments, which are always in perfect harmony, particularly nauseating.

I read the paragraph above to a friend of mine who knows Toure and, while he didn’t entirely disagree, he was quick to offer his own take. “Yaya is first and foremost a lovely, lovely person and a fucking great player,” my friend said. “He just gets led by his agent, maybe a bit too much at times.”

Good point. So let’s deal with that in more detail because Seluk is certainly a major factor in all this.

I remember only too well the comments that he made in which he’d claimed that Toure felt unloved at City, shortly before the player signed a mammoth new contract offer. It’s worked once, could it work again?

Seluk said this week: “Two of the biggest clubs have already asked me if he is available and I know that if City would sell, another ten would call me inside 24 hours.” He added: “If City want Yaya to leave, they should come out and say so.”

Leaving to one side for a moment the fact that that quote incriminates at least two clubs by virtue of tapping up a contracted player, Seluk is of course playing a clever little game that agents like to play in these situations…

The City executives who Seluk has openly mocked know that if the club asks Toure to leave, then City will have to pay the Ivorian, by law, every penny remaining on his contract. With two years left on a contract worth around £240,000 a week, that’s the best part of £25 million.

And those same executives know that if Seluk requests that his player be allowed to leave City, then Toure will forfeit every penny remaining on his contract.

Seluk is calling out the City executives in an attempt to get one of them to say something publicly that could cost the club millions of pounds.

If any one of them makes a comment in public that sounds remotely along the lines that the club want Toure to leave, then you can guarantee that Seluk will try to hold them to what they’ve said in the most public way possible.

Right now, not one of them has taken the bait. And, take it from me, they won’t because they’re not stupid.

At 31, Toure certainly has one big move left in him if that is what he truly desires, but he has no need for any more money – he said so himself.

And even if he were the greediest player on earth, PSG still can’t top the £45 million contract that he signed with City two years ago.

Even if City paid Toure something to go before he walked into another contract, it wouldn’t be a sum that would be hugely significant in his decision to leave.

So, with that in mind, where is the pay day should Toure switch clubs?

It will be for the agent who moves him. One last big move – £10 million-worth of agency fees would be my guess – and just a change of badge on the shirt for Toure and a possible stain on his character back in Manchester. Is it worth it?

Clearly, for one man it is. The worst outcome for Seluk is that his client signs a new deal at City and he gets only £5 million. If that is, City even want him.

Personally, I think they’ve already made it known privately to the relevant parties that, beyond the two years left on Toure’s contract, they don’t want him.

The shadow across the blue half of Manchester right now isn’t that of another rain cloud floating inevitably toward the Etihad Stadium.

It’s just Dimitri Seluk opening his wallet to see if there’s any room left.

Some good insight. End of the day Yaya's a bit of a mug to have such a shoddy rep and to suck up to him so much is strange.

stony said:
toffee balls said:
Blue Mooner said:
Too many 'assumptions' going on for my liking. I would far sooner we get rid of dead wood like Sinclair, Richards and possibly Jovetic to reduce the wage bill and then 'supplement' the squad with another quality player rather than replace one ie Yaya with another.

As players like Yaya get older you use them in specific matches and when their experience will be invaluable, albeit I totally disagree with Blues that seem to think Yaya is 'over the hill' and on the decline. He's not matched the level which he did last year but then that was always going to be difficult to match.

In a squad game where you need players who won't play every game he will be invaluable. That's exactly what Ferguson did with Scholes, Giggs, Vidic, Ferdinand & Evra. (albeit all of them at much older ages than yaya is now)

A renewed and refreshed Yaya after a close season of rest (& No world cup or brother dying) and with the fans right behind him I have absolutely no doubt that Yaya still has the potential to contribute significantly, and despite what many blues are telling me is a poor year, he is still ranked the 15th best player in the prem across the key stats. Do not tell me that a player is done and dusted when just turning 32, physiologically no player would decline that quickly.

The difference between me and many fans on here is that I trust the club and management to make the right decision with Yaya armed with all the facts (around salary, bonuses etc) not supposition and assumptions.

The truth is that the 'cost' associated with Yaya is marginal and that is the cost between his salary and whatever player we were to sign. That may be 3m tops.

Don't forget in today's football 10m buys you an Adam Johnson or Jack Rodwell - with respect their not even fit to lace Yaya's boots.

Totally agree.

New contract , club ambassador , good rest and we go again.

How can you have a club ambassador with a history of throwing tantrums and threatening to leave every summer?
Kompany, Zabba, Silver and Hart are all club ambassador material. Yaya Toure is not.
The main gripe with the whole club ambassador scenario is to have that role at a club it should be the clubs decision to honour a player. Whether he deserves it or not is irrelevant as he will just be given the role because him and his agent demanded it in order to stay.

That's fucking ridiculous. Anybody who stipulates that is a massive twat

spongebob123 said:
http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-footballer/25118/dark-clouds-yaya-toure-and-dimitri-seluk-cast-grim-shadow-over-manchester-city/

‘Dark clouds’ Yaya Toure and Dimitri Seluk cast grim shadow over Manchester City

Casting some kind of shadow in football is inevitable but there are good shadows and bad shadows.

Ian Wright’s shadow helped to inspire Thierry Henry to break the all-time goalscoring record for Arsenal that Wright had held for all of ten minutes.

And during the first season after retirement, the shadow of Sir Alex Ferguson loomed down from the stands at Old Trafford like an albatross and, ultimately, became too much for his Manchester United successor, David Moyes, to cope with.

This week, Yaya Toure and his insufferable agent, Dimitri Seluk, continued to cloud the skies over Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium following another round of self-serving comments.

“Some people at City are trying to blame Yaya for what has happened this season,” Seluk said. “But those people aren’t taking responsibility for their own mistakes.

“I am talking about executives who have bought players for a lot of money – and then put those players on the bench.

“Executives who spend a lot of money on Stevan Jovetic and then drop him from the Champions League squad. I feel sorry for [Manuel] Pellegrini. He’s a good coach but a weak manager.”

Whenever the storm clouds gather over the Etihad, Toure and Seluk shield themselves under the only umbrella in town.

They keep dry by issuing threats. They talk about not being loved, not being respected, being persecuted in the media more than other players at the club. They talk about former managers who they love and respect.

They never talk about what they are going to do to help the club out of the situation. Ever. They never talk about giving more or stepping up. They only talk about what they can take away.

I think that, at his best, Toure is a fantastic footballer, but there is a caveat to that. Success during Toure’s City career has, to my mind, come on his own terms.

Surround the 31-year-old with world-class talent and he finds it easy to stand out, covering blade after blade of grass and scoring goals from nothing.

But if one or two players around him should suffer a loss of form, and the form of the team dips as a result, then Toure struggles to step up to the plate, preferring instead to turn to his agent – who, in turn, goes to the Press to point fingers at others. That is not the mark of a true champion.

As if to prove the point, Toure offered the following comment when quizzed by a journalist as to his options this summer.

“For the future, I don’t know more than you do because I will always go where I am offered new challenges,” he said. “That is in my nature. When things are not necessarily going well in a club, the key players take the fall.”

The challenges for City next season don’t come any bigger. The club needs to find a way to wrest the Premier League title back from Chelsea while trying to improve on an unremarkable history in the Champions League.

Personally, I hope that Toure does go, even if it’s to Paris Saint-Germain – to my mind, a sideways step at best – because I’ve had my fill of hearing from Toure and his agent at how aggrieved they are with having everything that a player could ever want.

In terms of the players and their agents who I have seen in the game who have shown a lack of respect to a club and the people who work there, Toure and Seluk are right up there.

I find the contrived feel of their comments, which are always in perfect harmony, particularly nauseating.

I read the paragraph above to a friend of mine who knows Toure and, while he didn’t entirely disagree, he was quick to offer his own take. “Yaya is first and foremost a lovely, lovely person and a fucking great player,” my friend said. “He just gets led by his agent, maybe a bit too much at times.”

Good point. So let’s deal with that in more detail because Seluk is certainly a major factor in all this.

I remember only too well the comments that he made in which he’d claimed that Toure felt unloved at City, shortly before the player signed a mammoth new contract offer. It’s worked once, could it work again?

Seluk said this week: “Two of the biggest clubs have already asked me if he is available and I know that if City would sell, another ten would call me inside 24 hours.” He added: “If City want Yaya to leave, they should come out and say so.”

Leaving to one side for a moment the fact that that quote incriminates at least two clubs by virtue of tapping up a contracted player, Seluk is of course playing a clever little game that agents like to play in these situations…

The City executives who Seluk has openly mocked know that if the club asks Toure to leave, then City will have to pay the Ivorian, by law, every penny remaining on his contract. With two years left on a contract worth around £240,000 a week, that’s the best part of £25 million.

And those same executives know that if Seluk requests that his player be allowed to leave City, then Toure will forfeit every penny remaining on his contract.

Seluk is calling out the City executives in an attempt to get one of them to say something publicly that could cost the club millions of pounds.

If any one of them makes a comment in public that sounds remotely along the lines that the club want Toure to leave, then you can guarantee that Seluk will try to hold them to what they’ve said in the most public way possible.

Right now, not one of them has taken the bait. And, take it from me, they won’t because they’re not stupid.

At 31, Toure certainly has one big move left in him if that is what he truly desires, but he has no need for any more money – he said so himself.

And even if he were the greediest player on earth, PSG still can’t top the £45 million contract that he signed with City two years ago.

Even if City paid Toure something to go before he walked into another contract, it wouldn’t be a sum that would be hugely significant in his decision to leave.

It will be for the agent who moves him. One last big move – £10 million-worth of agency fees would be my guess – and just a change of badge on the shirt for Toure and a possible stain on his character back in Manchester. Is it worth it?

Clearly, for one man it is. The worst outcome for Seluk is that his client signs a new deal at City and he gets only £5 million. If that is, City even want him.

Personally, I think they’ve already made it known privately to the relevant parties that, beyond the two years left on Toure’s contract, they don’t want him.

The shadow across the blue half of Manchester right now isn’t that of another rain cloud floating inevitably toward the Etihad Stadium.

Some good insight. End of the day Yaya's a bit of a mug to have such a shoddy rep and to suck up to him so much is strange.

What a great read and it as absolutely bang on.

stony said:
spongebob123 said:
http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-footballer/25118/dark-clouds-yaya-toure-and-dimitri-seluk-cast-grim-shadow-over-manchester-city/

What a great read and it as absolutely bang on.

Agreed, spot on.

His agent seems like a complete dick. I don't know why Yaya doesn't bin him off. I think Yaya will loose the fans respect. Some have lost faith in him already and it's totally understandable. My view is sell him and replace with a younger player with more hunger and desire and a similar skill set

All I will say is this, FA Cup scores in the semi and then the final. Premiership wins the game at Newcastle and was proper special at Palace away , Silva's best game 4 us was Hull away

Yaya has been a genuine legend for oir club and scored some very big goals for us at crucial moments in crucial games.
We should be thankful and wish him all the best. he obviously wants to move on so let him go with our best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.