Player topic: Yaya Toure (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't get to see last night's match, so can't comment on his performance. That he can struggle in a midfield two, in games where we aren't able to completely dominate or are pressed hard, is fairly clear; that we desperately need him in the side though, in order to dictate games for us, is equally obvious.

Extremely unlikely to happen, but I've thought for a while that we should move him to play as the deepest of a midfield three - for the time being with Milner and Fernandinho either side of him. He'd be able to get on the ball more easily, and would give the centre halves an easy 'out-ball' all the time. The opposition would find it far more difficult to get close to him, and he'd hopefully be able to control things, almost like a Pirlo or Alonso. The energy of Fernandinho and Milner would mean that he wouldn't be needed to do too much running and pressing - his defensive duties would be more about taking up intelligent positions to block off or intercept passes. Whether he has that intelligence in those positions, I'm not 100% certain, but I suspect he has. Then play Silva ahead of the three midfielders, with two strikers. No much width, but then we don't have great wide players anyway. Plus Silva and Aguero would constantly pull out into wide areas.

Then go out in the summer, buy a Reus-type player (plus ideally a top-draw central midfielder) and we'd have the option of switching to an orthodox 4-3-3.

Suspect most of the squad are beginning to have their reservations. He was bollocking everybody last night. Worryingly Aguero and Silva seemed to be in his firing line. He certainly is the big I am, who seems to think he can walk all over everybody at the Club.

TSGHutchison said:
I think a lot of City fans forget how they all felt about the Fernando signing. For most, this was the signing that would allow City some leverage and control in the big games, but ONLY if Fernando played alongside Fernandihno with Toure ahead of them. A lot of people have forgot about this and I still don't see why Pellegrini is not playing this system in the big games.

Sure, City would have to sacrifice Nasri or someone similar (not Silva), but then Toure is no defensive minded midfielder, he can play the final pass. He's a huge attacking force that can split defences. So I think in a midfield 2 he is just wasted. A lot of City fans thought the Fernando signing would bring in that formation but unfortunately not, Fernando was simply bought to be Javi Garcia's replacement, which would still be in a midfield two.

City should line up like this in most big gamer and work with it training:
Hart
Zabelleta - Mangala - Kompany - Clichy

Fernando - Fernandihno

Toure
Nasri/Navas Silva

Aguero

If they signed Pogba then I truly beleive City should replace Fernandihno. Just hasn't looked sharp all season, he had so much energy last year.

He played it at QPR and they were absolutely abysmal. They played in a straight line, Fernandhino just in front of Fernando, Yaya just in front of Fernandhino. You could have thrown a blanket over the three of them. There was no lateral movement or fluidity at all. It left QPR with huge spaces to play into. I'm not at all surprised that Pellegrini hasnt used it since.

super_city_si said:
Brilliant footballer. Lazy twat.

I think that sums him up. He has his protectors on here but City cannot afford to carry passengers and if they feel Yaya is not willing to continue to play for the team, this might be his last season with us.

My personal feeling is that we have had his best years and if we can make a decent wedge from him, we should look at other options for next season

super_city_si said:

He's got a casual style to him, similar to that of Balotelli and Anelka. The difference with him though is that in an instant he can come alive and be world class.

His defensive side of the game just won't cut it for a midfield two against the good teams, doesn't have the desire or mobility to defend well enough.

The days of Barry and NDJ protecting him were a luxury for him, Fernandinho isn't a defensive minded midfielder but we have to use him in that role.

Mancini on the tap-up again.

Good job funding him with FFP, Inter have already been fined this year.

Roberto Mancini reveals “Yaya Toure wants to play in Italy and Inter would be his first choice.”

The midfielder was brought in to Manchester City by Mancini and there have been numerous reports they could reunite at San Siro.

“Yaya has played in every top League, apart from Germany and Italy,” Mancio told Gazzetta TV this evening.

“If, as it does indeed seem, he wants to have an experience in Italy, then there is this possibility he could come here.

“It won’t be easy, but he’s a player with incredible technique and character. Would Inter be his first choice? That’s certain.”

mosssideblue said:
super_city_si said:

I think that sums him up. He has his protectors on here but City cannot afford to carry passengers and if they feel Yaya is not willing to continue to play for the team, this might be his last season with us.

My personal feeling is that we have had his best years and if we can make a decent wedge from him, we should look at other options for next season
You are late friend. I was hoping we sold him this past summer, and I am a 'Yaya fanboy.' Perhaps the longest serving member of that army. And yet I wanted him sold over the summer. I thought we could possibly get 35 million for him and use that as part of our fees to acquire Fabregas.

But that's water under the bridge. Now more likely than not, we'd be better switching formation and acquiring better talent in a 433 formation with Yaya at the base of the 3, and 2 technical hardworking players ahead of him at CM.

Frankly we already have the players to do it Pelegrini simply has chosen not to try. He has his philosophy, I respect that, but I think his tactics suck in light of our personel. But that's my amateur opinion.

Here is how I'd play.
.........".......Hart..................
Zab.....Komps..Mang....Clichy
..........".........Yaya......................
...........Dihno........Nasri.........
Silva...........................Milner
.................Aguero................

Or you can flip Silva left and play Navas on the Right in rotation with Milner.

The beauty of that formation is that it plays to everyone's strenght. Yaya controls from deep and rotate the ball. Nasri, fernandihno, Milner, and/or Navas have the tenacity to pressure from the front, where real defending actually is most effective. Silva can still be the creative spark by cutting towards the middle and creating the overlap lane for Zab and Dihno.

We still need the players to move the ball quickly, but that's within their capacity. Then in the summer, we can always try to get a Koke, Bale, Gaya trio, to improve our fluidity and tenacity.

J_Bow said:
super_city_si said:

He's got a casual style to him, similar to that of Balotelli and Anelka. The difference with him though is that in an instant he can come alive and be world class.

His defensive side of the game just won't cut it for a midfield two against the good teams, doesn't have the desire or mobility to defend well enough.

The days of Barry and NDJ protecting him were a luxury for him, Fernandinho isn't a defensive minded midfielder but we have to use him in that role.

These two views summarise the enigma that is Yaya. There was obviously a lot of discussion about selling him ago the end of last season, but to me it is becoming an imperative at the end of this season.

He looks to me like he has lost half a yard of pace, he isn't getting any younger, and we have been exposed defensively in our preferred set up with Yaya and either of the Ferns playing.

If we are locked into the 442 then it's time we stopped trying to put square pegs in round holes. Two mobile, young, energetic midfielders are what is mandatory at the end of this season. So for that reason I would sell Yaya.

In terms of our transfers it's interesting that we picked up Bony in a state of panic because we didn't have any fit strikers and we didn't trust Jovetic. Yet to my eye the need was much greater in the midfield area.

While gobshite Mancini is busy doing his Redknapp impression.....its created yet another opportunity for Yaya to knock the speculation on its head and pledge his allegiance to us.

Personally,if the price is right.......and as long as we sign top quality,i see it as the opportunity to rebuild our midfield,we simply couldn't afford to fuck this up.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2015/03/10/9673112/-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer ... /9673112/-</a>
Roberto Mancini says that Yaya Toure will join Inter if the Manchester City ace decides to move to Italy.

The Cote d'Ivoire captain still has two years to run on his contract with the Premier League champions but there is mounting speculation that he will leave the Etihad at the end of the 2014-15 campaign.

Former City boss Mancini has made no secret of his desire to be reunited with the midfielder and has now intimated that Toure has promised to join him at San Siro should the 31-year-old move to continue his career in Serie A.

"If Yaya Toure comes to Italy, it will be only to join Inter," the Nerazzurri boss told Gazzetta TV.

Mancini also revealed that he has already failed with one previous attempt to lure a City player to the Giuseppe Meazza, defender Micah Richards, who is currently on loan to Serie A side Fiorentina.

"I tried to bring Micah Richards here in January," he said. "He was one of my players when I was at Manchester City, too.

"Fiorentina seemed open to the idea but it didn't come off."

Mancini boldly added that he fully expects Inter to compete for the Serie A title next season.

"Yes, next year we will be a Scudetto contender," he stated. "This faith comes from what we are doing now. We have a great foundation.

"I see the guys improving all the time. Everyone is growing. Next year we can count on fighting with Juve, Napoli and Roma for the title."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.