Player topic: Yaya Toure (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sh249 said:
Didn't get to see last night's match, so can't comment on his performance. That he can struggle in a midfield two, in games where we aren't able to completely dominate or are pressed hard, is fairly clear; that we desperately need him in the side though, in order to dictate games for us, is equally obvious.

Extremely unlikely to happen, but I've thought for a while that we should move him to play as the deepest of a midfield three - for the time being with Milner and Fernandinho either side of him. He'd be able to get on the ball more easily, and would give the centre halves an easy 'out-ball' all the time. The opposition would find it far more difficult to get close to him, and he'd hopefully be able to control things, almost like a Pirlo or Alonso. The energy of Fernandinho and Milner would mean that he wouldn't be needed to do too much running and pressing - his defensive duties would be more about taking up intelligent positions to block off or intercept passes. Whether he has that intelligence in those positions, I'm not 100% certain, but I suspect he has. Then play Silva ahead of the three midfielders, with two strikers. No much width, but then we don't have great wide players anyway. Plus Silva and Aguero would constantly pull out into wide areas.

Then go out in the summer, buy a Reus-type player (plus ideally a top-draw central midfielder) and we'd have the option of switching to an orthodox 4-3-3.
I've thought 4-3-3 would suit Yaya best for years. Plus when we have the ball Silva can just stroll wherever he wants and Milner can interchange out wide for a bit and he has the energy to get back centrally when needed, he can also cover for the full backs when they go forward and allow Silva to come inside as the FB overlaps.

KippaxCitizen said:
sh249 said:
Didn't get to see last night's match, so can't comment on his performance. That he can struggle in a midfield two, in games where we aren't able to completely dominate or are pressed hard, is fairly clear; that we desperately need him in the side though, in order to dictate games for us, is equally obvious.

Extremely unlikely to happen, but I've thought for a while that we should move him to play as the deepest of a midfield three - for the time being with Milner and Fernandinho either side of him. He'd be able to get on the ball more easily, and would give the centre halves an easy 'out-ball' all the time. The opposition would find it far more difficult to get close to him, and he'd hopefully be able to control things, almost like a Pirlo or Alonso. The energy of Fernandinho and Milner would mean that he wouldn't be needed to do too much running and pressing - his defensive duties would be more about taking up intelligent positions to block off or intercept passes. Whether he has that intelligence in those positions, I'm not 100% certain, but I suspect he has. Then play Silva ahead of the three midfielders, with two strikers. No much width, but then we don't have great wide players anyway. Plus Silva and Aguero would constantly pull out into wide areas.

Then go out in the summer, buy a Reus-type player (plus ideally a top-draw central midfielder) and we'd have the option of switching to an orthodox 4-3-3.
I've thought 4-3-3 would suit Yaya best for years. Plus when we have the ball Silva can just stroll wherever he wants and Milner can interchange out wide for a bit and he has the energy to get back centrally when needed, he can also cover for the full backs when they go forward and allow Silva to come inside as the FB overlaps.

I'm not sure we have the personnel to operate a 4-3-3 system. Don't like to get into tactics too much because I'm more 'Keegan' than 'Mourinho' but whenever I've seen 4-3-3 work successfully it's always appeared to me to rely on the front 3 working hard and closing down defenders. Messi, Neymar and Suarez (probably £300 million of strike force) all work their nuts off when Barcelona don't have possession of the football. It's a system Rodgers operates at Liverpool, albeit with obviously inferior quality players to Barcelona, but I just can't see our forwards being able to play that high energy system.

Astley Lad said:
KippaxCitizen said:
sh249 said:

I'm not sure we have the personnel to operate a 4-3-3 system. Don't like to get into tactics too much because I'm more 'Keegan' than 'Mourinho' but whenever I've seen 4-3-3 work successfully it's always appeared to me to rely on the front 3 working hard and closing down defenders. Messi, Neymar and Suarez (probably £300 million of strike force) all work their nuts off when Barcelona don't have possession of the football. It's a system Rodgers operates at Liverpool, albeit with obviously inferior quality players to Barcelona, but I just can't see our forwards being able to play that high energy system.
I believe a front three of Milner, Aguero, Navas with 3 of Silva, Nasri, Yaya and Difno as the central 3 will do the job comfortably.

Folks keep forgetting, none of Busquet, Xavi or Inesta can be considered defensive workhorses. They just do their jobs well by playing within the system. Busquet is about Dihnos level of defensive aggression. Nasri is siighly more defensive than either of the Spanish duo, and Silva is about at Iniestas level defensively. In the front 3 department, Messi and Neymar can't touch Milner/Navas defensively. So pretty nyxh Suarez over Aguero is there only advantage. The real problem is our ability to keep the ball.

The longer you keep the ball and the more you open up the opposition and carve out chances: what happens is that they become psychologically less predisposed to attacking. They are so pinned back that survival of the barrage of attacks is all they can muster.

Barcelona defends not by tackling, but by killed ng your offensive impetus psychologically. Guardiolla gets thus, that's why he focuses intensely on possession. And not just any type of possession, but final third possession.

Own 65% of possession and play 65% of that possession in the other teams final third of the field, and you'll win 90 - 95% of your games.

It is really that simple. But MP has a different philosophy. :( Personally, I think his philosophy is outdated. But what do I know, I'm just an unhappy fan.

Dax777 said:
Astley Lad said:
KippaxCitizen said:

I believe a front three of Milner, Aguero, Navas with 3 of Silva, Nasri, Yaya and Difno as the central 3 will do the job comfortably.

Folks keep forgetting, none of Busquet, Xavi or Inesta can be considered defensive workhorses. They just do their jobs well by playing within the system. Busquet is about Dihnos level of defensive aggression. Nasri is siighly more defensive than either of the Spanish duo, and Silva is about at Iniestas level defensively. In the front 3 department, Messi and Neymar can't touch Milner/Navas defensively. So pretty nyxh Suarez over Aguero is there only advantage. The real problem is our ability to keep the ball.

The longer you keep the ball and the more you open up the opposition and carve out chances: what happens is that they become psychologically less predisposed to attacking. They are so pinned back that survival of the barrage of attacks is all they can muster.

Barcelona defends not by tackling, but by killed ng your offensive impetus psychologically. Guardiolla gets thus, that's why he focuses intensely on possession. And not just any type of possession, but final third possession.

Own 65% of possession and play 65% of that possession in the other teams final third of the field, and you'll win 90 - 95% of your games.

It is really that simple. But MP has a different philosophy. :( Personally, I think his philosophy is outdated. But what do I know, I'm just an unhappy fan.

You're selling Busquets ridiculously short and not understanding at all the work rate of the front of Barcelona's attack. They may not track back in a traditional way, but they work extremely well to win the ball back. You accomplish this possession by disrupting the other teams in their back line, forcing errant passes or passes into closed situations where Busquets can clean up. You contrast it with our players and it is night and day, we essentially invite the pressure onto our sometimes stretched midfield and hope our back 4 and whatever midfielder is deepest can cope. Teams waltz through 2/3rds of the pitch.

Mancini should focus on winning games instead of tapping up Yaya. I mean, if you interpret the words the way our press have, Mancini has basically said publicly that Yaya wants to leave ("If, as seems to be the case, he wants to try Serie A") which is downright disrespectful with the season not yet over.

And if he doesn't start winning more games, Mancini may not have a club to tempt Yaya too. Already reports of Inter tapping up Bielsa after Mancini's extremely average results since returning (in Serie A: W5 D5 L5). Inter were quite ambitious in January signing Shaqiri and Podolski but still hit and miss results other than a 3-match winning streak against 2 relegation strugglers and a mid-table side. They only just scraped past the worst Celtic side in years in Europe too, but then that's quite an achievement for Mancini who was beaten by a team of youths and journeymen when he coached us against Ajax.

LoveCity said:
Mancini should focus on winning games instead of tapping up Yaya. I mean, if you interpret the words the way our press have, Mancini has basically said publicly that Yaya wants to leave ("If, as seems to be the case, he wants to try Serie A") which is downright disrespectful with the season not yet over.

And if he doesn't start winning more games, Mancini may not have a club to tempt Yaya too. Already reports of Inter tapping up Bielsa after Mancini's extremely average results since returning (in Serie A: W5 D5 L5). Inter were quite ambitious in January signing Shaqiri and Podolski but still hit and miss results other than a 3-match winning streak against 2 relegation strugglers and a mid-table side. They only just scraped past the worst Celtic side in years in Europe too, but then that's quite an achievement for Mancini who was beaten by a team of youths and journeymen when he coached us against Ajax.

Mancini seems adamant that Yaya os the man to get Inter back to winning ways, if he wants him so bad then Inter should be going all out for him.

20m-25m and he is your, Bobby.

That would be an immense coup for what will be a 32 year old.

What's the point in saying you want YaYa when you can't afford him .
If I was Inter Milan and Mancini I would say nothing .
Mancini just heaping more pressure on himself saying rubbish like this .
I thought Inter Milan wanted Jovetic anyway .

LoveCity said:

Ahh good old Bobby Manc. Showing his utmost respect for City as a club by openly talking about Toure again. You do wonder with him whether if this stint at Inter goes tits up he'll finally do the decent thing and fuck off to Sardinia and focus on his yacht business. The football management business hasn't been too kind to him since he left City.

Mister Appointment said:
LoveCity said:

Ahh good old Bobby Manc. Showing his utmost respect for City as a club by openly talking about Toure again. You do wonder with him whether if this stint at Inter goes tits up he'll finally do the decent thing and fuck off to Sardinia and focus on his yacht business. The football management business hasn't been too kind to him since he left City.
[bigimg]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/05/16/article-2630633-1DA7319D00000578-495_634x421.jpg[/bigimg]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.