Players have their say - and we should listen

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
Can I play devil's advocate here for a minute, do you think there is a chance that, at least in part his professional image/style is brought about at City because he is was an unpopular figure from the moment he was appointed. In otherwords the club has been forced into this type of action, because they know that the manager has a lower level of goodwill from the fans than someone else might have?

Possibly. Who can say whether that is part of his motivation.

The one thing you can say for certain though is that if his managerial performance had been up to scratch during his time here then he would not have to be in spin/excuse/dampening expectations/bullshitting overdrive 24/7.

When he was at Blackburn though he was still always full of excuses, even if they were going fairly well. His major target then though was referees. He was (although I don't think he has been too bad re refs whilst here) as bad as, if not worse than, Fergie when it came to trying to blame every poor result on the standard of refereeing. I used to slaughter him for it regularly to my mates so I remember it well. He would swear black was white rather than admit that they had not been hard done by at times.

In fact, that was my only reservation when he was appointed here and I discussed it on here at the time. Not a big enough reservation for me not to want him, just something that I didn't like in him whilst at Blackburn. I don't like it in any manager and there are/were a few other candidates who do the same thing who I would have similar reservatons about.

As I've said though, he has not been too bad when it comes to blaming refs for his setbacks whilst here - which has pleasantly surprised me. But he has more than made up for it with his scatter gun approach to blaming everyone, anyone and anything else for anything that has gone wrong for him.

Even if he felt that he had a lack of goodwill here initially - which I completely disagree with, I think he had plenty of goodwill for at least the majority of last season and for the early part of this season - then I don't expect the manager to be the sort of petty character that sees that as a signal to adopt a "But it wasn't meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" approach. It's bollocks. I want a leader. Someone who knows what they are responsible for and is honest about it. Someone who, at the very least doesn't attempt to shift the blame to all areas and take people for idiots with constant rewritting of what is a reasonable expectation (and I'm not just talking about this season).

PS: What I find hilarious, in a flaberghasted type of way, is that hours after this thread is started that puff piece appears in the Evening News, backing up the two articles on here. The campaign continues. A myriad of reasons referenced as to what and who is to blame for results and expectations. And never a single mention of what the manager might have contributed to this. It is so ridiculous that it is laughble. The campaign is in full swing once again and it is a fucking insult to everyone who it is designed to influence.

Mods - any chance of removing those daft faces from that quote? I look like a real self praising **** with them in their - (although I obviously agree wholeheartedly with their sentiment and respect the poster as a man of great wisdom)

Spot on JMA

I don't know anyone who goes to the games and doesn't give the players full support.

To be honest, I don't know anyone who goes to the game and gives the manager stick - other than a few choice words at the end of another shit result.

This urging to get behind the players keeps getting aimed at people who think Hughes is a chancer but there's very little evidence for it not occuring. Yes, there are some nobs who might go just to abuse people but they are a miniscule percentage of the crowd so to keep urging people to support the players kind of comes across as a way of suggesting that those on here who don't rate Hughes are prone not to support the players.

I know that's not what you are trying to say but the volume of people urging that on here makes it seem that there is a huge problem at the ground regarding that and it is linked to discussions on here. In my experience there definitely isn't so I don't understand the volume of people urging people to get behind the team.

Dhenry said:
If one starts to question the players' statements and motives as well - I'm sorry, but pass your ticket on to someone who actually wants to be there.

I don't believe everything a player says about a manager, I still remember the same people praising Keegan, then slagging Keegan, praising Pearce, then slagging Pearce, praising Sven, then slagging Sven. It's just the way football is.

Does that mean that I don't want to be at the match any more?

moomba said:
Dhenry said:
If one starts to question the players' statements and motives as well - I'm sorry, but pass your ticket on to someone who actually wants to be there.

I don't believe everything a player says about a manager, I still remember the same people praising Keegan, then slagging Keegan, praising Pearce, then slagging Pearce, praising Sven, then slagging Sven. It's just the way football is.

Does that mean that I don't want to be at the match any more?
Face it - You don't believe anything except Hughes out.

GaudinoMotors said:
Face it - You don't believe anything except Hughes out.

Considering I've said on a number of times this season that he shouldn't be sacked you are of course, talking shit.

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
I don't know anyone who goes to the games and doesn't give the players full support.

To be honest, I don't know anyone who goes to the game and gives the manager stick - other than a few choice words at the end of another shit result.

This urging to get behind the players keeps getting aimed at people who think Hughes is a chancer but there's very little evidence for it not occuring. Yes, there are some nobs who might go just to abuse people but they are a miniscule percentage of the crowd so to keep urging people to support the players kind of comes across as a way of suggesting that those on here who don't rate Hughes are prone not to support the players.

I know that's not what you are trying to say but the volume of people urging that on here makes it seem that there is a huge problem at the ground regarding that and it is linked to discussions on here. In my experience there definitely isn't so I don't understand the volume of people urging people to get behind the team.

Where I'm sat I've been treated to a orchestra of abuse at the defence, manager, and pretty much everyone else for quite a while. And apart from that it's been quieter than ever before.

Moomba, sorry mate but you missed my point there - was a harsh way to put it, as really I was meaning something slightly different. But the idea was that believe the players or not (as I said in the first post), they want your support at the stadium, not the moaning - and hurling abuse at anyone on the mcfc payroll here or at the stadium is not going to do a whole lot of good, anyway. The owners (sorry if I offended anyone with the 'saudi lads' line earlier on, it was intended with irony) are not silly people, and I wholeheartedly trust whatever they decide in regards to the managerial situation at the club.

JohnMaddocksAxe said:

I don't know anyone either, but I've seen it. And if we don't achieve good results quickly I fear we'll all be witnessing "Big Mal's Cigar" style outbursts

Dhenry said:
Moomba, sorry mate but you missed my point there - was a harsh way to put it, as really I was meaning something slightly different. But the idea was that believe the players or not (as I said in the first post), they want your support at the stadium, not the moaning - and hurling abuse at anyone on the mcfc payroll here or at the stadium is not going to do a whole lot of good, anyway. The owners (sorry if I offended anyone with the 'saudi lads' line earlier on, it was intended with irony) are not silly people, and I wholeheartedly trust whatever they decide in regards to the managerial situation at the club.

Fair enough, I don't think we can presume that people who tee off against Hughes, or the players on here aren't 100% solid supporters at the ground.

And if we're going to moan, I can't think of a better place for it than here.

Sure you'll get the odd one or two moaners at the ground, that will build up as performances and results get worse. Unfrotunately it's the way it's always been.

To be honest I'd rather the players shut the fuck up and actually upped their game on the pitch. As much as Hughes is to blame for the recent results the players are at fault too. I don't need them telling me to leave the manager alone or that they are really the culprits, just fucking get on with it and start winning.

Matty said:
To be honest I'd rather the players shut the fuck up and actually upped their game on the pitch. As much as Hughes is to blame for the recent results the players are at fault too. I don't need them telling me to leave the manager alone or that they are really the culprits, just fucking get on with it and start winning.

Exactly, id rather see Santa Cruz cuttin it on the pitch, something ha has so far completely failed to achieve (injury this, injury that blah blah blah). Then i might give more credence to his wafflings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.