Points of Blue Meeting

I don't know what the answer is but to introduce a ballot you'll still have the scenario of standing in the queue and someone jumping in front of you that's just turned up and doesn't deserve to be there?
There's no easy answer but the main objective should be to have a system whereby people don't think they have to buy tickets they don't intend to use just to keep their place in the queue but where regular attendees aren't disadvantaged.

I'd be interested to hear what the club think on this.

Last edited:
"Points whoring" is an emotive phrase which doesn't help the discussion. I know you go to virtually every game and that you presumably had every intention of going to Anfield when you bought the tickets. The problem is that the ticket points system encourages people to buy tickets even if they know they can't use them.

Someone else asked me the same question. He can't go to Spurs but he got the ticket for his mate. Did that make him a points whore? My response was that he bought a ticket he knew he had no intention of using therefore he's potentially deprived someone of a ticket who might be legitimately entitled to one. I've personally witnessed conversations where people work out how many tickets they can buy (with all the people on their F&F lists) and then discuss who they're going to give the spare ones to. Imagine standing in a queue, like we used to in the old days and the people in front are letting their mates in. I think I know you well enough to know you'd be very quick say something.

And I've gone through the Cardiff ticket thread again and counted 34 tickets definitely being offered. There's another 3 tickets acquired very early on by the first couple of posters therefore someone's DM'd them. Then there's someone who bought 2 tickets on Facebook before getting 2 on his own account but I suspect he offered these to one of those early posters who was looking for two. So I'll leave those out, plus one I'd double-counted, which makes 37 definite spares and that doesn't include anyone who's asked for one and been sorted out by someone else who hasn't advertised a ticket. There was also a post that said "we've had drop outs" so that's more than one, which I've counted as 2 though it could be more.

'Points whoring' is an emotive phrase but it also helps the discussion because it precisely defines a specific type of behaviour; I'd say points whoring is systematically buying tickets when you have no intention of attending games just to keep your own points total high.

It's qualitatively different than occasionally selling on a ticket when you can't go at the last minute or simply change your mind.

Points whoring is a problem, someone unable to go a game at short notice who passes on a ticket to a mate (or someone on here) is neither here nor there.

So I should have just lost the £60?

Bare in mind that I haven’t missed a home or away game yet this season, bar Liverpool.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, sometimes the gut reaction is not the best. I have always thought of you as one of the”real” City supporters and I understand your point of view. However, it is the system that annoys me. At the moment I can’t suggest a better system than points for every game you attend, but the allocation of tickets to supporters clubs, some of which give out their own points for attending a pub meeting regardless of the length of time a person has attended matches and sometimes cup tickets to members who are not even on the cup schemes and others buying tickets when they have no intention of going themselves really goes against any fair way of allocating tickets. I made my statement because I feel every ticket should be used by the recipient. In your case and similar it was the fault of City in not giving you the option of returning it thus making it available to the next in line. I did like the idea of actually picking up your away ticket at the away venue. This worked(for me) for some Champions league away games but on others the City admin was not fit for purpose and I had to go miles and wait hours to queue for my ticket.
It would be good if the club invited the people who attend most away games to make suggestions as to how to solve this problem. It will only get worse the more successful we become.

I don't personally see any other option than keeping the current system. I believe it rewards the fans that were most loyal during the unsuccessful period. What I'd like to see is every away game certain % of tickets have to be collected on the day of the game, almost like a spot check situation. Only the person who bought the ticket can collect.

I don't personally see any other option than keeping the current system. I believe it rewards the fans that were most loyal during the unsuccessful period. What I'd like to see is every away game certain % of tickets have to be collected on the day of the game, almost like a spot check situation. Only the person who bought the ticket can collect.
They did that for the Champs League away games and it was shit. Agree with your first point to stick with the current system

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, sometimes the gut reaction is not the best. I have always thought of you as one of the”real” City supporters and I understand your point of view. However, it is the system that annoys me. At the moment I can’t suggest a better system than points for every game you attend, but the allocation of tickets to supporters clubs, some of which give out their own points for attending a pub meeting regardless of the length of time a person has attended matches and sometimes cup tickets to members who are not even on the cup schemes and others buying tickets when they have no intention of going themselves really goes against any fair way of allocating tickets. I made my statement because I feel every ticket should be used by the recipient. In your case and similar it was the fault of City in not giving you the option of returning it thus making it available to the next in line. I did like the idea of actually picking up your away ticket at the away venue. This worked(for me) for some Champions league away games but on others the City admin was not fit for purpose and I had to go miles and wait hours to queue for my ticket.
It would be good if the club invited the people who attend most away games to make suggestions as to how to solve this problem. It will only get worse the more successful we become.
Thank you for your thoughtful and considered response.
My Liverpool tickets arrived on the Friday before the Fulham game and we left to go to Hoffenheim early on the Sunday morning.
I began to have my doubts when I read that Atkinson was given the job on the Monday night. At that point I couldn’t take them back, and we didn’t get home until Thursday afternoon. During the game I got so frustrated with the referring that I wondered “what’s the point”. As many of the apologists say ‘if you think it’s bent why do you go?’, hence I changed my mind and decided to sack it off but, as you say City won’t take them back.
Whilst out and about in Heidelberg on the Wednesday I bumped into a friend and told him he could have mine. Clearly a blue, clearly goes to games.

Regarding the allocation of tickets for games I can see the pros and cons in all that’s been suggested.
I know some on lower points would prefer a ballot, and I can see why. But I go to games with my wife, neither of us would go unless we were both successful. Which means I’d sack it off completely as the uncertainty and the cost of travel would be prohibitive leaving it whilst City sort out a ballot.
Some on here shout for a ballot as they want to go to United, Liverpool or a big cup game, other than that they won’t go. Hardly trekking to Swansea mid week or Sunderland for a league cup game.

If Supporters Clubs and corporate weren’t given an allocation then there would be many more available for independent fans on their points. In fact that allocation could be given to a ballot. Then if you have the points you would get a ticket, if you don’t, then go in a ballot with everyone else, and not a ballot to see if your face fits.

I wasn’t a fan of the ticket collection from the off. In Kiev I was on my own and it wasn’t much hassle to walk 25 minutes to collect it although it was snowing lol.
However Paris was a real pain in the arse. Me, the Mrs and our three kids had to trek half way across Paris at some considerable expense and time. Whereas if I could have collected our family tickets it would have been much easier. The issue reached a head in Glasgow when four of us queued for an hour and a half in the rain to get into the dry and a fight started as some ‘fans’ decided they weren’t going to wait in the rain and stormed the entrance.
To top it all my other daughter was late for the game as she drove up direct from work. Had to park up, queue and collect her ticket, and then drive and park up near the ground. Again why couldn’t they let me have her ticket and me give it to her. There has to be an element of trust as four out of our family of five were there.

Unfortunately the club doesn’t speak to its fans or listen to what we have to say although hopefully that will change.
The latest ticket chaos has seen Supporter Services ignore its twitter feed and it takes ages getting through on the phone.
I’m not aware that those that are regular awayers are on the fan groups, but I know some that pick and choose, for whatever reason, are.

The club don't need any excuse to take away more aways tickets from teh merit based system.

I would not be surprised if the fans reps end up the scape goat when the club gets rid of points. From the pics there are not many regular awayers, and I doubt the majority would accept changes that allow them more access.

The club doesn't send tickets out in advance as they say they do. They claim 2/3 weeks in advance on email confirmations, where it has ended up more like 2/3 days for some, so there way of returning them if plans change. The club are going backwards on the ticketing front. Collections with ID penalise 1000s of fans who share season tickets also, which is a growing reality these days.

The club don't need any excuse to take away more aways tickets from teh merit based system.

I would not be surprised if the fans reps end up the scape goat when the club gets rid of points. From the pics there are not many regular awayers, and I doubt the majority would accept changes that allow them more access.

The club doesn't send tickets out in advance as they say they do. They claim 2/3 weeks in advance on email confirmations, where it has ended up more like 2/3 days for some, so there way of returning them if plans change. The club are going backwards on the ticketing front. Collections with ID penalise 1000s of fans who share season tickets also, which is a growing reality these days.
I took this up with them a couple of weeks ago.
The email telling me the tickets were on their way stated that away tickets are usually sent out two to three weeks before the game. I pointed out to them the tickets had arrived three days before the game and asked, sarcastically, if there had been a misprint with weeks/days.

'Points whoring' is an emotive phrase but it also helps the discussion because it precisely defines a specific type of behaviour; I'd say points whoring is systematically buying tickets when you have no intention of attending games just to keep your own points total high.

It's qualitatively different than occasionally selling on a ticket when you can't go at the last minute or simply change your mind.

Points whoring is a problem, someone unable to go a game at short notice who passes on a ticket to a mate (or someone on here) is neither here nor there.
I agree, but the current system encourages people to buy tickets for others (whatever you call them), and I have both benefited from others, and helped others in the past.

I've almost given up on getting away tickets now (even through the SC), as my points are too low (well over 12000), and by the time the points do get low enough for me, I've organised something else (usually work) which I can't get out of, I stopped doing platinum a few years ago too, so even when I do go, I get less than someone on platinum and still fall further behind.

We need to change something somewhere, though I have no sensible suggestion, as there are now too many with lots of points who will always buy, whether they go or not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.