Post match City v PSG

Well done City! KDB back in our side has made all the difference.

Bizarre strategy by PSG. Needing to score, they played possession football, never playing it long and not playing ultra-attacking to create havoc. Consequently, they rarely threatened our side.

It seems to me that we're pretty solid when the opposition has the ball.

It's when our fullbacks (or centerbacks) press forward on offense and then the ball turns over that we're extremely vulnerable.

Credit to Pellers... our defense was extremely cautious, so on the rare occasions that we turned the ball over on offense we were in good shape defensively.

Yes. When we keep our shape we don't get floored by sucker punches.

Not saying we should always play that way but credit indeed to Pellers last night. It was a pragmatic performance - exactly what was needed. That extended to selection, were he showed the courage not to pick Yaya.

last night showed us a great lesson of the season;

When we play possession football, we are too ponderous and end up with 6 around the box and teams tear us apart on the counter again and again, requiring few chances to score goals.

When we play AGAINST a team who is better in possession, we sit a little and begin to see our more direct side come out.

last night showed us a great lesson of the season;

When we play possession football, we are too ponderous and end up with 6 around the box and teams tear us apart on the counter again and again, requiring few chances to score goals.

When we play AGAINST a team who is better in possession, we sit a little and begin to see our more direct side come out.
Agreed. And we're even better, IMO, when we don't play such open, attacking, football with our fullbacks and sometimes centerbacks charging forward every time we have the ball.

We're pretty solid defensively so long as our back 4 are basically in good defensive position. And our attack with KDB, Aguero and Silva in the lineup is potent enough that we'll score eventually in buildup or on the break. It's conceding after a turnover so often that's killing us.

Agreed. And we're even better, IMO, when we don't play such open, attacking, football with our fullbacks and sometimes centerbacks charging forward every time we have the ball.

We're pretty solid defensively so long as our back 4 are basically in good defensive position. And our attack with KDB, Aguero and Silva in the lineup is potent enough that we'll score eventually in buildup or on the break. It's conceding after a turnover so often that's killing us.

agree, it's the obvious choice to be the possession dominant team but our back 4 has been so preposterously exposed this season because of it that we look solid when we play as a tighter unit. we've got the players to be a quick impact team and we'll see a bit more of that under Pep, as well as the defending high up the pitch stuff that he does

The way we were playing, I thought we'd get battered over the two legs and absolutely love being proved wrong.

I think we'll get battered in the semi too... ;)
Haha!

Strangely, with KDB in our side, we've suddenly gone from disinterested to totally motivated to win. I think we can realistically expect a top-3 finish in the BPL, and I'd say we're 50-50 or maybe better if we draw Madrid in the UCL.

Prior to Kevin's return, it looked like the team was mailing it in for all our games. That's totally changed now.

I watched on the box last night and that atmosphere didn't come across at all,it felt,and sounded,very flat....ive attended games myself where the atmosphere has been brilliant and yet when ive watched it on TV later..... again,it didn't do it justice.....so whats going on??

Edit - just seen the atmosphere thread :-)

Wasn't Hamburg level because there was a bigger sense of nervousness around the ground and therefore lulls in singing. Also, the Hamburg game was full of excitement and I think that helped, plus we had it all to play for. It was a lot better than in any previous home CL game. And as good as we've had this season other than Chelsea possibly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.