Post Match Thread: City v Juventus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frustrating.

Lack of movement and flow when we play Nasri, complete lack of defensive coverage too. Against Evra, it might just have been the opponent to get Navas back into some form going forward.

Said it from day 1 but Bony was a nonsense purchase, a very good forward who can not and should not be anywhere near our team under it's current structure... we don't play to any of his strengths and with Nasri we only had Sterling who has any appetite to run in behind when he holds the ball up, any even then his finishing is weak.

Then taking Sterling off for De Bruyne and removing our only threat to turn the Juve defenders - they must have loved it tonight, we set up and played right into their strengths.

Having said all that we were still the better side for the majority of the game and had we finished our chances, could have been 3 up before Manzukic even had a chance. I'm sure it won't be a popular opinion but i can't hep but feel Pellegrini has no idea how to play to our strengths, whats the saying "more by luck than judgement", that's him to a t.

Pogba failed his audition, showed too much of the ball to our midfield, often dispossessed and looked to have a poor temperament - there's talent there, but worth no where near the kind of money quoted during the summer.

Let's face it we've had worse days as City fans – but I couldn't lose interest.
I do agree about the mental block though! For all of Vinnie's stirring words in yesterday's press conference tonight the players showed the same lack of belief the have every year in Europe, and I can't for the life of me see why! Juve weren't great tonight - but neither were we... I don't think Juve could believe how bad we were! They've not won a game all season, we've not lost one... maybe we need to get a sports psychologist in or something, but the lads need to shake off this european inferiority complex quick!
Not losing interest in City but the Champions League has never caught my imagination. The domestic trophies are of far more interest to me. Perhaps it's do with our wretched form. I thought tonight was going to be the night we finally caught fire and showed our true worth but yet again it was the same performance as previous seasons

Oh so indirect with such a slow build-up. Hundreds of short sideways or backwards passes. Any decent Italian side will lap that up and, tbf, Juve defended well and scored a beauty.
This!
Nasri should not have started, he slows things down and runs in circles.
Silva off form today.
Toure actually tried, but Juve midfield outpaced him and never slowed down.
After what happened last year in CL, we might still qualify for the group stage, but we have not made a step forward in Europe yet.

Bright spot is our PL form, so looking forward to West Ham.

Didn't take our chances, simple really, neither team was great and we missed our chances, we can go there and beat them but I feel it's another 2nd place and meet one of the big 3/4 (PSG) in last 16
Really starting to see the CL as a huge distraction from the things I really care about winning

Let's face it we've had worse days as City fans – but I couldn't lose interest.
I do agree about the mental block though! For all of Vinnie's stirring words in yesterday's press conference tonight the players showed the same lack of belief the have every year in Europe, and I can't for the life of me see why! Juve weren't great tonight - but neither were we... I don't think Juve could believe how bad we were! They've not won a game all season, we've not lost one... maybe we need to get a sports psychologist in or something, but the lads need to shake off this european inferiority complex quick!

Juventus are no mugs and they thrive on games like tonight when they know a team are coming on to them and leaving space for them to attack.

One thread popped up around a week ago or so, saying City have got the 4th best squad in Europe, or something similar. I said on that thread, "City may have a quality squad but in terms of CL experience, they have none". For example, buying a player like Sterling for 50m, who is known for scoring against mid table sides like QPR, Villa, Swansea, isn't an ideal player to rely for goals against other great teams in Europe. Not yet anyways. Pelegrini reached Quarters with an average Malaga side in CL, furthest than City ever have so there can't be any blame for the manager.

Not great, but certainly not the end of the world. Defensively we were good, and very little could be done about their goals. Bony doesn't seem to be great at finding space and although he's usually good at holding the ball up, that's mainly useful if he's got a player near him, not when he's isolated with a defender on his shoulder all the time. Playing as deep as we did allowed us to be wary of their pacy attack, but never really let us get into our stride.

That said, I'm sure Pellers wanted us to play out quicker and sit higher, judging from his reactions on the touchline. Fern was great, and once again showed his class in both defence and attack.

I would have liked to have seen KDB on earlier as not only does he keep the ball moving quickly, he's excellent as playing cross-field balls at pace - stretching the width of play. The game was crying out for this. Playing through the centre wasn't working as we were getting out-muscled and knocked off the ball far too easily.

Credit where it's due to Juve, they had a plan and were well drilled and Buffon needed to be sharp. Was surprised how strong they were in the challenge when up against some of our bigger guys. I have a feeling that a few of our lads were struggling with fitness or injury today as there was certainly a spark missing. Plenty more to play for yet, so far too early to condemn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.