Post Match Thread: Election 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
why? 572 seats have gone to parties who have promised Brexit, and an end to free movement. If Labour put a 2nd referendum on the table another election would be called and they would be thrashed. Corbyn had to make extensive commitments that there would be a reasonable Brexit.

Why would they be thrashed.

Labour supporters now emboldened(?) and believe that a win is possible. Remainers emboldened and now believe this can be overturned. The young emboldened and now believe this can be overturned.

Think it's pretty clear that if a second referendum was held the vote would be to remain and if Labour came out and backed no Brexit I would expect a big win.

Depending on how they handle indyref2.

I know the reasons, but it is still strange to have such a positive reaction being aired about Labour being 50 seats behind and not able to form Government. I think Tories will have enough to go on governing, and I don't think they would dare call a re-election unless Labour undermined Brexit, which they have pledged in the manifesto not to do.

That's hypothetical, of course. I think "doing better than expected" does Corbyn a disservice though. Regardless of political affiliation, this is clearly a bit more significant than that.
I agree Ric. As a non Labour voter, I have been impressed with Corbyn who has shown a great deal of credibility throughout this campaign. I think May is dead meat and quite right too. Anyones guess what happens next. Good to see the Nats getting a doing here in Scotland and particularly Salmon gone.

Not sure really. The Tories only had a small majority to begin with. Together with years of unpopular austerity, plus Brexit bad feeling and a horrible campaign by a terrible PM, I would have normally expected the opposition to win.

Do you think the result isn't significant then?!

I would say if the PLP had backed corbyn from day one and not fart arsed about with coups amd strops, Labour may have won.

Quite possibly. It's also quite possible that they would have won with a different leader. They only started from such a low position due to the infighting which probably wouldn't have happened with a different leader.

Why would they be thrashed.

Labour supporters now emboldened(?) and believe that a win is possible. Remainers emboldened and now believe this can be overturned. The young emboldened and now believe this can be overturned.

Think it's pretty clear that if a second referendum was held the vote would be to remain and if Labour came out and backed no Brexit I would expect a big win.

Depending on how they handle indyref2.

Because Labour have promised we will have Brexit. If they renege on that they will go back to where they were, in fact I think there would be a backlash. Remain and young voters have voted en masse, but they've voted for a more conciliatory tone to Brexit negotiations, but they've still voted for it yesterday. A proportion of new Labour voters are new young remain, but many are the UKIP returnees who have come back because the party are now representing their views on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.