Post Match Thread: Election 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
worst election campaign maybe ever, biggest turnout in 20 years for labour and yet they still didn't come close to winning. its very hard to see how labour can win an election or get a majority, unless it moves to the centre.

This.

The electorate has been moving to the right for 40 years, to the point that the majority are essentially somewhere between Blair and Cameron, in terms of ideology. For a hard-left party to win, it needs the majority to be brought back to a left-centric position that they haven't had in decades. I don't think this is impossible, but I don't think it can be done quickly, or even over the course of a parliament or two. It would take a decade or more I think for the voting demographic to change sufficiently for Labour to win on their current ticket.

Heard that the DUP want the triple lock on pensions as well, interesting times ahead, DUP may let them get in with Brexit but may well scupper some home policies

i think davis would be the best option though. he seems quite good at speaking and getting his point across. boris is too much of a risk imo.
I agree. I really like the guy and felt that he was about the only reasonable and informed voice on the Brexit side leading up to the referendum. I don't share his politics but I recognise that he is rational and articulate, and is neither egocentric nor boring. Basically, the Tories' antithesis to Theresa May. He would be their best option for leader so I hope it doesn't happen. I recall he lost out to Cameron in a leadership election 10 years ago or so, so might fancy another crack at it.

This.

The electorate has been moving to the right for 40 years, to the point that the majority are essentially somewhere between Blair and Cameron, in terms of ideology. For a hard-left party to win, it needs the majority to be brought back to a left-centric position that they haven't had in decades. I don't think this is impossible, but I don't think it can be done quickly, or even over the course of a parliament or two. It would take a decade or more I think for the voting demographic to change sufficiently for Labour to win on their current ticket.

Would agree entirely that it would take years. The irony for me is that Corbyn supposedly was a remainer but the economic decline that will be seen post Brexit could very well end up being good news for Labour as thousands see jobs and living standards head south.

Genuinely don't understand how anyone voted for Tory. Everything they've lied about the opposition doing, they are now doing. Everything they promise, they either fail or u-turn on.

Zero principles, full of lies.

It must be my weird sense of humour but I am finding the whole situation hilarious (but in a very dangerous way).
May calls an election to gain a massive majority, is too conceited to meet the public or even debate on TV.
Labour were supposed to implode, but instead galvanised its support and made large gains in many areas.
Scottish Labour advised their supporters in places to vote tory, splitting the left vote and gaining seats for the Tories that will allow them to form a minority government.
And then we have Northern Ireland, & what a total cluster that is.
SF collapse the assembly.
Assembly elections return more of the same.
SF & DUP can't agree to form the assembly.
Despite (or because) of this, at the Westminster elections they get every seat (apart from one independent).
About ram the shinners must have been ecstatic, their hardline over Stormont vindicated by the electorate, either there terms or direct rule.
But by 6am, their arch enemies appear to be going into a coalition government.
WTF is going on?
Politics is sure better than any fictional soap opera

Not the guy last night (bout 3:30 ish) said that an open Irish border was a danger to Ulster from EU citizens coming in.
Maybe it was just his opinion though and not party line.
Definitely not the party line.
They are rather unsavoury to my taste but they are Pro-brexit, soft irish border. And as it won't be a coalition they only need to vote to pass the queens speech and their job is essentially done.

Genuinely don't understand how anyone voted for Tory. Everything they've lied about the opposition doing, they are now doing. Everything they promise, they either fail or u-turn on.

Zero principles, full of lies.

Probably because Corbyn and the Labour party sounded like they were telling turkeys how good Christmas was going to be with all the presents, eating, drinking and generally having a fabulous time. But when the turkeys asked how all of this would be paid for there was no explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.