Post Match Thread: Election 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing is for sure, May isn't going to go of her own accord. They are going to drag her out kicking and screaming.

surely even she knows that she can't survive this.

So what happens next.
My guess would be queens speech gets passed. Brexit negotiations start and then when everything is underway May steps down and a new Tory leader is elected. One of: David Davis, Bojo or a.n.other. It will be managed as an accession all agreed internally before it happens.

Lets hope not.he was a so-called firm Brexiteer, but when it comes to it he is like the rest,a dithering waverer.

Probably because Corbyn and the Labour party sounded like they were telling turkeys how good Christmas was going to be with all the presents, eating, drinking and generally having a fabulous time. But when the turkeys asked how all of this would be paid for there was no explanation.
There was, it was costed with a safety net!

I think if someone stands up and tells the public they are going to deliver a whole load of things that cannot be delivered, it is the duty of the press to expose it as they see fit. They didn't seek to crucify him because they don't like his beard; it's because they think his policies are barmy. Should they say nothing in those circumstances? I cannot see a problem with saying it how you see it. And before anyone suggests they are in the Tories' pockets, they supported Blair well enough.[/QUOTE
Genuinely don't understand how anyone voted for Tory. Everything they've lied about the opposition doing, they are now doing. Everything they promise, they either fail or u-turn on.

Zero principles, full of lies.
Agreed this pact they want with the DUP does she have to put it to her party to agree, or can she just decide in other words if 10 MPs said fuck off I don't want this will she have the final say

Rubbish every time he was asked he fudged the answer or mentioned a completely unworkable scheme to pay for it. A neutral third party organisation costed out the labour manifesto and said it had huge holes in its fiscal plans.

Sticking your finger in the air and making up numbers is not "costed". The projections were necessarily ludicrous. "Necessarily" because the circle of huge spending and 95% of the electorate no worse off, cannot be squared. It was a myth, requiring hopelessly optimistic estimates.

Anyway, it matters not. It's history; they didn't win.

Definitely not the party line.
They are rather unsavoury to my taste but they are Pro-brexit, soft irish border. And as it won't be a coalition they only need to vote to pass the queens speech and their job is essentially done.

Do they even have to do that? An abstention at the Queen's speech and budget would still suffice in a C&S agreement.

This.

The electorate has been moving to the right for 40 years, to the point that the majority are essentially somewhere between Blair and Cameron, in terms of ideology. For a hard-left party to win, it needs the majority to be brought back to a left-centric position that they haven't had in decades. I don't think this is impossible, but I don't think it can be done quickly, or even over the course of a parliament or two. It would take a decade or more I think for the voting demographic to change sufficiently for Labour to win on their current ticket.
I was very much of this mind set and thought Corbyn was a busted flush. However what happened in the last week or so with his speeches and rallies, along with spending a lot of time with newly motivated youngsters (being an old timer) I have seen something new and vital emerging.
Old arguments about Trident, IRA etc is ancient history to a lot of the 'kids'. Ironically their political naivety means that basic values of fairness and hope resonate. Economic arguments of austerity have not delivered any economic improvements and debt (personal and national)is no longer a dirty word.
An election soon would instil a belief in youngsters that they can change the world and would pull in a lot more votes going forward. As an old timer I am comfortable with most of the manifesto and suspect its apeal is wider than most people except. I have turned from being a scepticle labour voter at this election into someone who will enthusiastically engage next time. I suspect the prospect that real change will now be seen as achievable will energise many more next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.