Pre Match Thread | Palace v City

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ridiculous considering how we've been going on about what a squad we have and we're struggling to put a team out for palace. Personally I think otamendi will have to play there. With navas in front of him. De bruyne will start v juve in my opinion.
Id hardly say we were struggling to put a team out. Any side with 2 right backs injured would struggle for a well known replacement. There are a few options and its just making sure we have the right one if needed.

We have 2 Left backs and 2 right backs but beyond that it gets thin. Here’s what I think we have, any I’ve missed?

Maffeo = Natural right back, similar style to Zab, small but puts himself about.
Otamendi = Right footed, could play a bit of right back (done it for Argentina?). No idea what he would be like at it.
Denayer = Right footed, has played defensive midfield and is great on the ball would have been an obvious choice if he wasn’t on loan.
F’dinho = Right footed, could potentially play a bit of right back as has a great engine?
Delph = Left Footed, no reason why he couldn’t play left back but don’t know if he has ever done it. Injured!
Mangala = Left footed and doesn’t play LB as far as I know. Used to play striker but in his own words ‘wasn’t technically good enough for a top career at that position’.
Angelino = Natural left back, small wiry type with loads of energy. Currently with NYFC and playing well.

Or how about playing Vinnie at right back and put Martin alongside the Mangler .He is well versed in the offside game, extra height to combat Palace`s big men and has the pace to deal with Bolasie and/or Zaha.

Putting Maffeo in at right back in the Bear Pit atmosphere of Selhurst Park is asking for trouble. I quite like Tolmies idea of Navas but foe me it has to be Otamendi - he has after all played at right back when required for Argentina and previously for the various club sides he has played for.

If Sagna is out then it makes sense to stick Ottamendi there. If thats the case then I think Navas has to play to support the full back as Pardew will target the RB as a weakness and have Bolasie on the ball as much as possible.
Really we just need Silva to have the ball all match.

Putting Maffeo in at right back in the Bear Pit atmosphere of Selhurst Park is asking for trouble. I quite like Tolmies idea of Navas but foe me it has to be Otamendi - he has after all played at right back for Argentina and previously for the various club sides he has played for.

I would ordinarily agree with Otamendi starting at right back only for the fact he may not get a chance to train as right back with the rest of the back four until Friday. Maffeo could at least be working with the other 3 today, tomorrow and Friday.

Playing Otamendi is not without its risks, he will have the Jet lag issue from being in the states (don’t know how much he played) as well as making his debut out of position. Might be a better idea to start with Maffeo and plan to replace with Otamendi or to go 5 at the back at some point in the second half if he is struggling with Bolasie. You could then ask him to man mark him and use Otamendi as cover although I would hope we would be sufficiently bossing the game to leave it as it is.

Looks like Delph wont make this one either (He`s beginning to make Crocky santa cruize look like Iron man for f*ck sake) as he`s broke again ;0(

I think Navas could do a job at RB, playing as a winger he has proved he will get forward like a modern fullback and that he will track back. If not then play Maffeo with Navas just in front for extra cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.