Pre Match Thread | Palace v City

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the piece on the OS, it would appear Fernando won't be ready for Palace, it says something like 'I'll be stepping up training in a couple of days'

Interesting Navas at RB? I presume we will have the majority of the ball so Palace will be running into the space behind whoever is our RB and it will be Kompany covering that side or a midfielder, playing the lad for me won't make much of a difference.

I just think Navas is diligent and quick enough to carry out the right back role against someone like Bolaise.

If Bolaise can't arsed to track back, then Navas has the pace and energy to go beyond him and then link up with KDB or whoever.

My concern with Navas would be any ball targeted at the back post.

Personally, I think this is a game where you have to keep it wide open, playing on the absolute limits. It might be a bit nerve-wracking, but put our match winners on the pitch from the start and score more goals than them.

If we are cagey, we will be asking for it.

I would not be surprised to see this game end up something like 4-2 or 5-3 to us - still three points at the end of the day.

The issue with all the South Americans (Fdinho, Aguero, MDM, Otamendi) will be jet lag. Doesn’t really matter how long they played or burn out whatever you want to call it. It comes down to how quickly they can get their sleep patens sorted after flying home. It would be sensible to see how they are on the day but at the same time this is the first of 7 games in 22 days and is ahead of Juve at home, so to me it is the obvious one to rest them.

I’d take a draw in this and a win at Juve with no further injuries if you gave me the option now. That said, the 3 changes I have suggested should still see us more than strong enough to get a result and set us up nicely for Juve with some key players rested.

I just think Navas is diligent and quick enough to carry out the right back role against someone like Bolaise.

If Bolaise can't arsed to track back, then Navas has the pace and energy to go beyond him and then link up with KDB or whoever.

Personally, I think this is a game where you have to keep it wide open, playing on the absolute limits. It might be a bit nerve-wracking, but put our match winners on the pitch from the start and score more goals than them.

I would not be surprised to see this game end up something like 4-2 or 5-3 to us - still three points at the end of the day.

We need to pick a defender there due to our strict offside line imo. But Navas should probably be on that side to double up & also to push their wide players back.

Agree we have the players we should always for me play open attacking football against teams like these

I reckon Fernandinho would have a good go at RB but then we'd lose his energy In the middle of the park , what's the situation with Fernando?

Is Sagna injured? If not why would we want to tinker with a back four that hasn't let a goal in yet, and drop a player who has been outstanding and replace him with someone completely out of position?

Navas at right back would be great going forward but a potential horror show defensively. 1st issue is holding the offside line, hard enough in most teams but we play offside so often you need to be bang on every time. 2nd issue is aerial ability, Palace have some big units and they could target him all game with crosses to the back stick.

It’s a no for me.

Last edited:
So we have 2 possibly big selection decisions this weekend.

1. RB if Sagna isn't fit
2. CM depending on when Fernandinho got back.

I think we have to play Fernandinho as we there is no one in our squad (or even close from the academy) to fill in. Means Demichelis will be covering centre mid.

As for right back do anything to get Sagna on the pitch and otherwise I think we have to play Maffeo as its possible Otamendi will get only get one training session with the rest of the back 4 before Saturday.

Maffeo should get the nod if Sagna isn't fit. He might not be experienced but he is a natural right back and it is better scenario than playing the likes of Otamendi, Navas or Mangala out of position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.