Pre Match Thread | Sunderland v City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing from the start will do no harm either
I can think of plenty of reasons why (for a start), both Patrick Roberts and Maffeo should start the game. We need to have faith in players like these two. It seems to be working with the scum and whatsisname, and I think that Roberts is a superior talent to him.

Now's the time Manuel. Give a couple of the young guns a chance. Some of our supporters need to stop living in fear that playing a young player will cause us to lose a game.

This has to be an opportunity to rest some 1st teamers and bring in some of the youth or fringe players to get them game time. We are bang in the middle of 7 games in 22 days so you have to consider resting players who have played every game or every game bar knocks and minor injuries. I’d look at who has been playing v’s who needs a game. So first up who has been playing (* might be injured or not 100%)

Hart
Sagna, Kolarov, Mangala*, Kompany*,
Fernandinho, Yaya
Navas, Silva*, Sterling*,
Aguero*,

Who hasn’t played much or EDS players pushing for involvement:

Caballero
Maffeo, Otamendi, MDM,
Fernando, Alex Garcia
Roberts, Manuel Garcia, KDB, Barker
Bony, Nacho,
(I know that’s 13 players but that is the total of what we have left of the first team squad IMO)

I’d play 442 with: Ottamendi, MDM, KDB, Yaya, Bony, Nacho and Kolarov who finished the West Ham game staying in. Debuts for Maffeo and Roberts. Bony and Nacho together upfront:

Caballero
Maffeo, Otamendi, MDM, Kolarov
Roberts, Fernando, Yaya, KDB
Bony, Nacho.

I'm fine with letting some younger, inexperienced players in, but as long as they are blended in with quality. And by quality I don't mean the likes of Fernando and Bony. Considering the last two defeats, this game has taken on far more significance than it was thought of before. We lose this and suddenly the media will kick off and flappers will be in a right state.

Sunderland maybe dross in the league but how often do you see teams like them get on a run in a cup competition? They don't feel the pressure and stresses of a league game, and play with no fear, even more so against us as nobody will expect them to beat us. Wouldn't be surprised either if they played a full strength team for confidence building etc.

So to underestimate them and think we can play a full second string and walk it is wrong IMO. Fair enough rest the better players where you can, but I'd have insurance in there in a couple of world class players like KDB or even Yaya. Relying on Navas and co. to compliment the youth won't cut it I think.

We need a win back under our belts before we head into a tough away game at Spurs. If we don't win then we're into 3 losses going into potentially a fourth with Spurs away offering no guarantees. It's frustrating this game is now so significant, but the consequences of a loss could set us on a downward spiral from which it could take a while to recover and get back to our peak.

Maffeo has to play surely? Roberts on the bench to get some game time late on would be good. We are seriously undermanned at CB position now so wouldn't be surprised if Humphreys starts.

Am I right in thinking this game could go to extra time and penalties! Defo rest a good chunk of the first team + try and use the subs tactically as early as possible!

Humphries must be on the bench at least as we have 2 of 4 CB’s out. Anyone know who is our next option at LB, we run a risk there with 1 fit player and I would think we will need some cover from EDS in that position. Midfield we are ok with Fernando coming back in, Nasri (who I missed – assumed injured above) and KDB fit and having not played too much. Strikers we are ok – we just need some signs of form from Bony!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.