Pre season games compared to other clubs

I don't mind the club traveling to America to increase revenue, it's the way football has gone. I do feel that City should do more to help out local teams though.

We should play 2 or 3 friendly games at lower league clubs within 30 miles of GM every season. Imagine the helping hand it would give clubs like Altrincham, Chorley, Chester etc. Builds our 'reputation' closer to home, gives fans some good away trips to look forward to and helps raise the standard of football in the area. We should have arranged something like that for Bury and still could help Oldham/Macclesfield.

City is ran to constantly increase revenue, which is necessary, but reputation helps that and being seen as a club that does it's part to help the pyramid would go a long way.
There would need to be regime change first though. City shouldn’t be helping to enrich appalling club owners like the twats formerly at Bury and currently at Oldham

I'm of the opinion that you'd prefer a high number of pre-season games if the club has a new manager or is in any other way implementing major changes. Looking at today's United-pool game it may have been quite useful for Ten Hag but I'm not sure exactly what Klopp got out of that game playing 3 different 11s after 30 mins each. I'm not sure playing a game like this is any better than regular training sessions, just more money for club.

We are a settled squad, even if we have quite a few transfers this year. I'm sure Pep already knows what the squad is going to look like come West Ham game and everyone at the club knows the general way we play.

I think they’ll have better and more productive 90 minute games against each other in training than they would most friendlies to be honest.

I remember three pre-season games I was at for all for the wrong reasons could be getting to near end when we did it …
Doncaster Rovers away svens first game
Macc away when we found out SWP had been sold to Chelsea , And I think Burnley away we scored six and thought we were going straight back up… we got relegated.

I remember three pre-season games I was at for all for the wrong reasons could be getting to near end when we did it …
Doncaster Rovers away svens first game
Macc away when we found out SWP had been sold to Chelsea , And I think Burnley away we scored six and thought we were going straight back up… we got relegated.
Lee Bradbury with a brace...... we had a new hero up front.......

They are useful for trying different tactics and players without losing points against decent teams.

I'm of the opinion that you'd prefer a high number of pre-season games if the club has a new manager or is in any other way implementing major changes. Looking at today's United-pool game it may have been quite useful for Ten Hag but I'm not sure exactly what Klopp got out of that game playing 3 different 11s after 30 mins each. I'm not sure playing a game like this is any better than regular training sessions, just more money for club.

We are a settled squad, even if we have quite a few transfers this year. I'm sure Pep already knows what the squad is going to look like come West Ham game and everyone at the club knows the general way we play.

That's right, but I would add that the players come back fit anyway.
The main work is getting the new players assimilated and tweaking patterns of play.
6 friendlies increase the risk of injuries.
We will be ready.

I miss our annual ”friendly “ at Stockport, usually got battered and the bloke on the PA would take the piss. Different times, different club.

Three i remember.

1-1 draw for the opening of the cheadle stand, niall quinn scored.

Lost 4-1 the other game. Weah scored for us. I got Nicky Weavers autograph after travelling down from a family holiday in scotland at like 6 am to see us play like that.

The other was a 2-2, we scored a late penalty to equalise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.