Pre season games compared to other clubs

A question on our pre-season.
We seem to be back in training a week or in some cases two weeks after other clubs. Will this mean we go into the first league game with certain key players not fully fit like last year at Spurs?
The likes of De Bruyne and Grealish who are still on holidays were they given extra time off due to their participation in the Nations League?
The league starts earlier than normal this year.

If so, why?
I guess we want to be top in May not August. Leave that to united and their annual ‘top after two games’ trophy

A question on our pre-season.
We seem to be back in training a week or in some cases two weeks after other clubs. Will this mean we go into the first league game with certain key players not fully fit like last year at Spurs?
The likes of De Bruyne and Grealish who are still on holidays were they given extra time off due to their participation in the Nations League?
The league starts earlier than normal this year.

If so, why?
I wasn't aware that Grealish and De Bruyne had been given extra time off?

Last season was a bit of a weird one. City returned to training on the 19th July. Pep gave players who had gone deep into the Euros (final played 11th July) and Copa de America (final played 10th July) another few weeks off (they all returned on the 10th August). If he hadn't have done so players would not have had any sort of break whatsoever. We played Spurs on the 15th August, which meant we really were undercooked.

Depending on if you take the first game of the season to be the 30th or 7th, it's still much longer with a full squad than what we had last year. Don't think we will be as nearly undercooked as we were last year. I actually think we'll start the season stronger than we have for some time.

I wasn't aware that Grealish and De Bruyne had been given extra time off?

Last season was a bit of a weird one. City returned to training on the 19th July. Pep gave players who had gone deep into the Euros (final played 11th July) and Copa de America (final played 10th July) another few weeks off (they all returned on the 10th August). If he hadn't have done so players would not have had any sort of break whatsoever. We played Spurs on the 15th August, which meant we really were undercooked.

Depending on if you take the first game of the season to be the 30th or 7th, it's still much longer with a full squad than what we had last year. Don't think we will be as nearly undercooked as we were last year. I actually think we'll start the season stronger than we have for some time.
Saw on instagram yesterday that KDB and Grealish were still away but maybe they're back in pre season today, wasn't sure

We don't need the money unlike the dips and scum.

If Pep feels pre season is better served getting players fitness up over playing 6 or 7 pre season games then that's his call. It hasn't done us much harm.

Although it would be nice to get another academy friendly but allow us in to watch some of the fringe players in the flesh

I think we were also very light in terms of numbers by the end of the season. We had one for CB and Walker was also out. We had to play a 38 year old DM at CB.

I agree about the 14 point lead. It was anything but. Liverpool had a stretch of easily winnable games and they did that. We were very unfortunate away at Palace and should have won comfortably and were much better than Liverpool too.

I feel Sky badly wanted a title race this season after last season was anti-climatic. Good, winning it in dramatic fashion was worth it.

Cheers.

Makes you realise what a coach and their management and fitness teams really want when it comes to pre-season, and how far away from that we are every season. What we have instead is a fucking joke! and why I never pay any attention to any of them. The preparation these athletes get for their season ahead is pitiful.

World tours for the suits to have jolly-ups and sell a load of tickets to people who can’t even use the right name for the sport.
Bayern long times did differently - but in the recent years it is the same. That is the sign of the time. European football more and more goes international to grab the dollars from everywhere - and the off season is the time to serve the fans in other parts of the world.

In Pep's second year there was a long USA tour - in Pep's third it was Asia. And in my eyes especially in Asia Bayern (atleast the key players) had a very big marketing programme as the Bayern's marketing partners have a big market there. E.g. Volkswagen (or daughter Audi) make 40% of their sales in China.

Really wish City played a pre season game in Asia, we have sister clubs in those regions and what's the point if we don't maximise the potential.
Remembering the last time we went to Asia and the pitches were terrible due to it being rainy season over there. Much rather we avoid unnecessary injuries to our players thank you very much.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.