Premier League Games 12-18 Jan '23

Ciao Felix (apologies if it’s already been posted - couldn’t be arsed trawling through the thread :)

I go off his education abroad. What he did there. Then Swansea. He didn’t get the Brighton gig, a big step up, for nothing. I can see why he would go to Chelsea but I think he was clouded by the step up and didn’t think about what the situation was at the club.
He is a football man but he needed the right step up from Brighton. Chelsea wasn’t it due to their turmoil. I think he would have been sounded out a year earlier to come here, prepared himself, and slotted in to carry on what Pep had done.

Fair enough, maybe I just haven't seen what others and the media have been seeing. He was a good manager, not debating that, but the next big thing capable of taking over from Pep, I never really bought into that, and certainly don't now. Maybe with a bit more time he might have been.

Either way agree Chelsea was a terrible move for him. But it was also at the best possible time and moment for him. I'm not sure he could have got a move to a top club at any other point, or that he could have sustained the hype and position he and Brighton found themselves in when Bohley went for it. It was a terrible move for them too, it seems.

The difference is though he’d move here to a squad of players who know each other, who have the ethos of a family. Not just players bought and thrust into each others lives. He was never going to succeed there.

It’s ashame for him because he is completely clued up. I also feel sorry for Sterling as he’s in the same shit hole of a club.

Interestingly I just saw this clip with Kieron Dyer and he said he’s talked to players who have played under both Tuchel and Potter and they’re night and day in terms of managerial ability and that Potter doesn’t know how to handle a squad of big names. I guess he would have more info than us, whether it’s true or not

But that goes back to what I was saying, just because you have a good understanding of tactics and coaching, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re cut out to manage a big club. You can say we have an ethos of a family at city, but part of that might be all the players happy to play for Pep. People used to say similar about Utd under Ferguson, the players soon started downing tools for managers after that. Chelsea also wasn’t always a toxic environment, players used to love playing for Mourinho there.

That can soon change with millionaire footballers if they’re not happy with the manager. Our club wouldn’t be immune to that if we made a wrong appointment.

Pep has always had very positive things to say about Potter and his tactics.

To be fair, Pep has blown smoke up quite a few arses over his time with City. I can never decide whether he's taking the piss or not.

As for Graham Potter, I think his success at Brighton was due more to decent, but relatively unknown, players being given a shop window in the PL, and realistically lower expectations of fans and owners.

Dealing with 'superstars' is a different kettle of fish, and the fact that he inherited a group only recently attracted by Tuchel has left him out of his depth.

He's a good coach. If he gets through this season with the backing of the owner, he'll do better next season.

I don't see him as a Pep replacement in the short term, but I certainly wouldn't write him off for the future.

To be fair, Pep has blown smoke up quite a few arses over his time with City. I can never decide whether he's taking the piss or not.

As for Graham Potter, I think his success at Brighton was due more to decent, but relatively unknown, players being given a shop window in the PL, and realistically lower expectations of fans and owners.

Dealing with 'superstars' is a different kettle of fish, and the fact that he inherited a group only recently attracted by Tuchel has left him out of his depth.

He's a good coach. If he gets through this season with the backing of the owner, he'll do better next season.

I don't see him as a Pep replacement in the short term, but I certainly wouldn't write him off for the future.
Oh I definitely don’t see him as a replacement for a Pep, I wanted him as the England manager though.

Was he really ever as good as he was made out to be? Or overhyped.

He did really well with Brighton, for their expectations. But so did the guy that replaced him. He is terrible at Chelsea. Yet even today a sky pundit said 'it is onvious he is an incredibly talented manager with clever tactics, it jaut hasn't clicked for him at Chelsea'. Obvious how, based on what? On the fact it has been repeated a number of times by the media and just accepted.

He could have shown it with more time, or could have been found out. He has rushed it. I agree, he would have had a better place with more space here, and better foundations to work with. Doesn't mean he is good enough though.
I don't think Eddie Howe is any better than Potter - he's just gone to a club with lower expectations and no big name signings. Potter is a decent mid level PL manager, but it's a massive step up to go to a club that's expected to be competing for PL and CL.

I don't think Eddie Howe is any better than Potter - he's just gone to a club with lower expectations and no big name signings. Potter is a decent mid level PL manager, but it's a massive step up to go to a club that's expected to be competing for PL and CL.

Don't disagree with any of that. But wouldn't consider Howe the right man for us either. Or a conventional top club, including Chelsea. Which is my exact same point about Potter.

Oh I definitely don’t see him as a replacement for a Pep, I wanted him as the England manager though.
Without wanting to sound flippant, I honestly think that the England job could be done by anyone. Good players played in their natural positions shouldn't need or expect much coaching at international level.

Once the squad is selected, it's 90% managing the media and 10% managing players.

It's a poisoned chalice - I wouldn't even wish it on someone with rag connections.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.