Premier League Games 13/14/15 April '24

Having looked at it a few times I think VAR has to overturn it and they made the right decision.

Initial contact looks to be outside the box.

Fouls continuing into the box according to Law 12 have to be holding offences. He’s not held him, just impeded him so first contact is what matters for this type of foul.

Clear and obvious isn’t relevant here. It’s a line decision, has to be either inside or outside. Like offside it’s not considered subjective but binary. Tricky but looks more out than in so it’s pretty much the only decision he can come to.

The VAR official has just followed a simple process there and I can see why that’s the decision he had to make.
The defender is stood on the line. The line is considered inside the area according to the laws. Var stopped the replay before contact…..

Doesn't sound very clear and obvious!

As I stated about three lines below this - clear and obvious isn't part of the process for line decisions. It is either in or out. Like whether the ball has gone out of bounds or deciding offsides. The clear and obvious guideline is only for fouls and handballs, so the VAR has to give the decision he thinks is most correct on the balance.

You can say that is a shit process because the technology is too limited to make binary decisions like that, and I would agree. But that is the process as it exists today.

For what it's worth, I think the handball one is also not a penalty.

Having looked at it a few times I think VAR has to overturn it and they made the right decision.

Initial contact looks to be outside the box.

Fouls continuing into the box according to Law 12 have to be holding offences. He’s not held him, just impeded him so first contact is what matters for this type of foul.

Clear and obvious isn’t relevant here. It’s a line decision, has to be either inside or outside. Like offside it’s not considered subjective but binary. Tricky but looks more out than in so it’s pretty much the only decision he can come to.

The VAR official has just followed a simple process there and I can see why that’s the decision he had to make.
Perfect summary. It wasn't a holding offence, so the foul is where first contact was made. The fact that they tumble into the penalty area means nothing really. Correct decision. Maybe should have been a caution.

The defender is stood on the line. The line is considered inside the area according to the laws. Var stopped the replay before contact…..

Yeah but the contact isn't made by his foot, his hands are out in front of him so his foot positioning is irrelevant. What matters is where the Bournemouth player is.

I don't know how anybody can look at this and claim the Bournemouth player is in the box. He's not even close:

1713038185856.png

And this is the frame where in the reverse angle it clearly shows contact.

Yeah but the contact isn't made by his foot, his hands are out in front of him so his foot positioning is irrelevant. What matters is where the Bournemouth player is.

I don't know how anybody can look at this and claim the Bournemouth player is in the box. He's not even close:

View attachment 114078

And this is the frame where in the reverse angle it clearly shows contact.
I agree and on seeing the reply earlier I knew it would be overturned. If it had been City id have been gutted to concede that as a pen. On the other hand, the raggie pen is a joke. Couldn’t wait to give it. The pens this lot get are unreal. Im still furious every time I see that one against Jack in the cup final. Without the helping hand where would this lot be?

I agree and on seeing the reply earlier I knew it would be overturned. If it had been City id have been gutted to concede that as a pen. On the other hand, the raggie pen is a joke. Couldn’t wait to give it. The pens this lot get are unreal. Im still furious every time I see that one against Jack in the cup final. Without the helping hand where would this lot be?

I totally agree mate, they get plenty of soft ones, and get away with plenty more besides. I think some blues quite rightly are habitually defensive about it so sometimes are a bit hyperbolic, which is fair because there's no question in my eyes they get the rub of the green on so many things.

I think the handball rules have been totally unworkable for decades now and with VAR they're not fit for purpose. Needs a total re-think. Along with the VAR process. And timekeeping.

But FIFA and PIGMOL are useless so none of that will happen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.