Premier League (Midweek) Games 16/17 March '22

Exactly, our team is more than capable of winning 9 on the bounce.
We’ve done 12 on the bounce prior to the draw at St Mary’s. We need to get the belief back and give everything in each game. We are just as capable of winning each game… but improvement’s in aspects of our game are required; particularly our finishing.

I look at it this way. Liverpool have won their last 9 but been lucky on occasions. Tonight Ramsdale would have saved that first one most days, and Jota would have been taken off if there had been a break in play seconds before he scored.

The second goal came from a lucky ricochet to Robertson - OK bad clearance if you like - off Saka, but if that doesn't seem to happen to us - and a cross which led to another goal I thought the keeper should have saved.

Just prior to their first goal Odegaard shoul have scored for Arse.

My point is, does anyone think they're going to be as lucky for the next 9? I don't. I know they're only a point behind us but the key word is "behind" - they have to beat us to stand a realistic chance and even if they do, I don't necessarily think it will be decisive. 27 points to play for, that's a lot of points.

What you describe was blatantly obvious to everyone last season, we failed to address the issue and may miss out on the PL and CL because of it.

Liverpool can play poor for 75 mins but still win a game because they will take the chances they create. We don’t have that luxury.

From an attacking perspective, we’ve regressed every year since the Centurian season.

We’ve gone from a side with one of the most lethal finishers in the world and genuine pace in wide areas to support him, to a side with no genuine striker or pace in the attacking third.

I understand that we share goals around the squad unlike other sides, but the downside to that is that we are incredibly wasteful and struggle to take key chances at big moments.

I know Sterling gets a lot of shit for wasting big chances but Foden is just as bad IMO and he seems to be our starting false 9.
I guess the point is Liverpool are a top side, they should be challenging with the squad they have. Why is anyone acting surprised that they are firstly? It's not some massive mistake by City that Liverpool are in with a shot. It's not normal for teams to win as much as these two teams do in the PL. They still gave away a lead at the start of the season themselves after City's tougher start, as did Chelsea. So I'm not having it that they don't have it in them to drop points themselves, they've shown it, I've seen it.

Secondly, people are doing themselves no favours building Liverpool up beyond what they need to do. You might think things are perfect over there for them right now but they'll have their own flappers pulling their hair out, saying they weren't good enough tonight. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

It's true that not everything is perfect at City, we should have bought a striker two seasons ago but it didn't happen for various reasons(availability, FFP, cost etc). The other way of looking at it is, what we are doing without any strikers or any 20+ goals a season forwards is really quite incredible. We won the league once already that way and are still in with a very good chance of winning it back to back. If we sharpen up a little and start being more ruthless(and the gap being closed might be enough to do that) then I think we will do it, which would be even more incredible. It's still in our hands. Think of what an achievement it will be if we win the league in these circumstances against this "incredible Liverpool team" with all those scoring options, more than what a "failure" it would be if we don't.

Last edited:
Felt for Paul Merson tonight. Quite rightly still backs City for the title but faced with two Dipper Twats. Who is worse - Carragher or Souness??

I thought Arsenal away was gonna be their hardest game (apart from us). But in hindsight it wasn’t, nowhere near. It was inevitable that Arsenal would bottle it
I thought Arsenal did well, Liverpool a bit scabby with both goals but to be fair they are the better team and you would expect them to win. Long way to go yet, don't let the hype get to you guys - they still have to play us, Spurs, Southampton away which is never easy, then the Ragd for the last game. You would hope they will at least raise their game for their last game, esp. as it's likely to be Ronaldo's last.

I thought Arsenal did well, Liverpool a bit scabby with both goals but to be fair they are the better team and you would expect them to win. Long way to go yet, don't let the hype get to you guys - they still have to play us, Spurs, Southampton away which is never easy, then the Ragd for the last game. You would hope they will at least raise their game for their last game, esp. as it's likely to be Ronaldo's last.
The rags isn’t the last game

I think we might have to face the unpalatable truth that at this moment in time Liverpool are marginally the better team.

Not by much,but in a Key area where it matters most scoring Goals.

Many of us felt it was criminal,us going in to this season without a decent 20+ goal striker.That eventually it would be our undoing.

I thought it was very telling that Pep didn't use Sterling, or Jesus, on Monday.In a game we needed to win.Even now i am shocked he didn't go all out to try and win that game.Shows you how Pep really feels about those 2,that he decided not to even use them.

Still many twists,and turns, to go this season.

We are more than capable of hitting a rich vein of form and securing our 4th Title in 5 years.

My Gut instinct though, is telling me our inability to score open Goals is going to ultimately cost us in the end.

Hope i am wrong.

And that isn't me throwing the Towel in.That is me thinking how it is likely going to turn out based on what i am seeing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.