Premier League or Champions League?

What do you want us to win more?

• Total voters
If you look back over the last three/four decades, the truly great teams were defined by winning league/CL doubles at some time or other. The CL is a cup competition but it is in no way comparable to the FA Cup, to suggest it is is being deliberately facetious. It's the biggest trophy in club football; fans of every league in Europe tune in to watch it, when was the last time you went out of your way to watch a Serie A game? Or even a La Liga game?

Not winning this is a major mentality block that we're yet to overcome, and we can't keep brushing it under the carpet as though it's not a big deal. I'm desperate to see our club lift this trophy at least once and until we do, we aren't going to be lauded within that pantheon of greats. It's shit, but that's the reality. Regardless, I'm confident we'll win both this season.

This season, simply to shut up all the tossers who say we're not 'Great' yet, I'd say
the CL. Once will do me, and then a never ending string of PL's will do nicely.
Having said that, if we lose the CL and win the Prem this year, I won't be skriking my eyes out,
as many have said, the PL is the biggy.

If you look back over the last three/four decades, the truly great teams were defined by winning league/CL doubles at some time or other. The CL is a cup competition but it is in no way comparable to the FA Cup, to suggest it is is being deliberately facetious. It's the biggest trophy in club football; fans of every league in Europe tune in to watch it, when was the last time you went out of your way to watch a Serie A game? Or even a La Liga game?

Not winning this is a major mentality block that we're yet to overcome, and we can't keep brushing it under the carpet as though it's not a big deal. I'm desperate to see our club lift this trophy at least once and until we do, we aren't going to be lauded within that pantheon of greats. It's shit, but that's the reality. Regardless, I'm confident we'll win both this season.
Even when we win it once, we'll still have the " even Forest have won it more than you" comments

I'd always preferred the premier league but I think this time around it has to be the Champions league.
I can recall nearly all the finals but couldn't tell you most of the teams who won the league titles in their respective countries last year.

Even when we win it once, we'll still have the " even Forest have won it more than you" comments
The "even Forest..." comments say more about the idiots saying them than us - its their quintessential arrogance and contempt for a great achievement - winning one CL trophy is a great achievement in itself though not as great as being the best over 38 games in my view. I've never felt uncomfortable with the fact that Forest won two European Cups and we haven't won any. It is something to aspire to, and beyond. In any case that was the great Brian Clough's great Nottingham Forest side. Yes, two greats in one sentence. I still revere that Forest side and enjoyed their achievements as did many other fans of other clubs. That's just it with Rags and Dippers. Unless it's something that they do it isn't worth anything.

Greatness is not all about winning CLs amd doesn't depend on winning that particular competition.

I really can't stand what Arsenal have become but are we not going to say their Invincibles weren't a great side. Course not and they won no CLs.

Whether City ever win a Chimps league or not we still have witnessed great sides at City who have won 5 PL titles in 10 years and a shed load more.

Here's to much much more, particularly the Premier League.

Last edited:
To be defined as a truly great team, we do need to win the CL in this era. Whilst the league title is the bread and butter, the CL is just so damn hard to win.

We might win 8 of trhe next 10 PL's and in that time only win 1 or no CL finals. It's something the fans will cherish for a long time.

Sorry people, but if you think we'll be defined and recognised as a great team in the eyes of others because we win a CL once, you're living in cloud cuckoo land. The immediate dipper response will be “Wait until you've won it six times, then come back and tell us you're great, la”. The immediate Chelsea response will be… the immediate United response will be… the immediate Forest response will be… (substitute appropriate number of times won). All and sundry – “You're having a laugh with us”.
And if ever we win it six times, it will be “You did it with dirty oil money, it doesn't count”.

You know that this is true.

As for the media, they will not acclaim us as a great side on that basis, because they have a vested interest in bigging up clubs that have millions of clicks from places like Kuala Lumpur, Lagos and San Diego that are so closely connected with Liverpool, Manchester, London. As Solozzo the “Turk” says in Godfather 1, “It's good business, Tom.”

Water off a duck's back, as they say.

I suggest it would be better for our mental health if we stop thinking about what others think of us. For me, I say this calmly and with utter conviction, this team has already achieved greatness — when it won a never-before-achieved domestic treble. And the season before, when it achieved an unparalleled 100 points playing sublime football.

By the way, yes, I very much want to win the CL. I would love to see us lift that trophy in Paris. It would be a proud moment, one among many. Winning against Gillingham was another. Nelly's goal from Buzzer's cross was another. I don't choose to order these moments in a hierarchy. But I suppose only a blue could understand how Dickov's moment could fill their heart with pride, just as lifting that big cup in Paris would fill their heart with pride. Am I ‘desperate’ to win it? Funny, but I don't feel desperate. At all. And I don't think the club does.
But I could be wrong, I suppose.
On the other hand, if we lose out on both the PL and the CL, especially taking account of who we'd be losing out to, I shall be Pretty Fucking Devastated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.