Prostate cancer

ive seen the surgeon today and its been decided im having robotic prostatectomy probably in december or january.he says my prognosis is very good but as with all surgery there are risks.if im honest im not looking forward to the catheter but im just going to have to suck it up.i know the nhs gets slated but they have been great since my psa came back raised.the urology nurses ringing regularly checking on me and my appointments.been very impressed.but as snake said in the first post get checked if your over 50
Good luck with this.

Maybe I can put your mind at rest with the catheter as I had one in overnight a few weeks ago for my brachytherapy. In terms of pain there was no problem with it being in there. It hurt for about 10 seconds whilst it was being taken out (about 5 out of 10 pain) and then for about 5 seconds on first urination, and that was it.

The main issue was that because of the catheter and drip connected for my overnight stay, I had to lie on my back all night and couldn’t sleep. So I just stuck my headphones on and listened to music all night.

good luck fella
Thankyou so much.
I changed the blood tests from 3 months to six months because I find it stressful waiting for the appointment and result, this one came back way below normal I don’t know the exact but at least six points below.
Even going for the dye through your lungs came back clear.
I had cancer first in 92 then it was found again in 2016, that was cured it stayed in the colon.
I recon I’ve had so much good luck even though it was the most aggressive invasive type so far it’s stayed in the colon.
Just to let everyone know 92 to 24 30 years still here and still fighting but trying to reduce hospital visits except the one at Salford for a reversal
It’s good to know I’m not on my own it’s common and new treatments all the time

Thankyou so much.
I changed the blood tests from 3 months to six months because I find it stressful waiting for the appointment and result, this one came back way below normal I don’t know the exact but at least six points below.
Even going for the dye through your lungs came back clear.
I had cancer first in 92 then it was found again in 2016, that was cured it stayed in the colon.
I recon I’ve had so much good luck even though it was the most aggressive invasive type so far it’s stayed in the colon.
Just to let everyone know 92 to 24 30 years still here and still fighting but trying to reduce hospital visits except the one at Salford for a reversal
It’s good to know I’m not on my own it’s common and new treatments all the time
Great words and a great outlook you have KB all the very best and keep us all posted.

Chris Hoy - Terminal Cancer

Bit of sad news here - shows the importance of testing well before the age of 50, especially if prostrate cancer has happened within the family already. Not sure whther this article mentions, but apparently Chris Hoy's father and grandfather had prostrate cancer ....
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/he...S&cvid=fceb45e2fead457094b0455b6c0d024a&ei=11
His interview in the times does mention it mate, he was 48 but looks like he was refused a test because of his age .
Wrong in my opinion especially if it’s running in the family, Harsh facts are probably would have saved his life , his interview is heartbreaking tough reading on a personal level . Difficult to keep emotions in check.
If there’s ever a story like many of us have our stories to get checked sadly this is another one.
I wish him his wife and children nothing but happiness in the time they have together.

His interview in the times does mention it mate, he was 48 but looks like he was refused a test because of his age .
Wrong in my opinion especially if it’s running in the family, Harsh facts are probably would have saved his life , his interview is heartbreaking tough reading on a personal level . Difficult to keep emotions in check.
If there’s ever a story like many of us have our stories to get checked sadly this is another one.
I wish him his wife and children nothing but happiness in the time they have together.
Trying to get what on the surface might appear to be a simple symptom checked with a test is the hardest part, so many people say the same thing it was ignored or brushed off.
After you see the doctor and he says nothing to worry about, if it’s still the same go back and ask for a test insist on it next day.

Scans really are one of the most useful tools and now blood tests the one I have is a CEA test it’s not part of any other blood test I copied this from WIKI

“I The carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) test measures the level of CEA in the blood. CEA is a protein normally found in the tissue of a developing baby in the womb. The blood level of this protein disappears or becomes very low after birth. In adults, an abnormal level of CEA may be a sign of cancer“

ive seen the surgeon today and its been decided im having robotic prostatectomy probably in december or january.he says my prognosis is very good but as with all surgery there are risks.if im honest im not looking forward to the catheter but im just going to have to suck it up.i know the nhs gets slated but they have been great since my psa came back raised.the urology nurses ringing regularly checking on me and my appointments.been very impressed.but as snake said in the first post get checked if your over 50
Apologies, Very long post alert.
Like you, I was quite worried about having a catheter, but it was all ok.
I just want to reassure you & share my experience following my successful rezum surgery at Stepping Hill Hospital in February.
I was told pre surgery that I would have the catheter in for 10 days. It was fitted whilst I was in theatre under the anaesthetic, so I didn’t feel a thing.
Upon waking up, more or less first thing I did was take a look. The tube going in was larger than I was expecting, about the thickness of a pencil. There was no pain at all, just a feeling of being a little uncomfortable. There is a short tube attached to a small bag (500ml) known as the day bag, which is strapped to your thigh by adjustable elastic straps with Velcro fastening & has a tap at the bottom of the bag so you can empty it. When the time comes to empty the bag, you just point it down the loo & open the tap. You don’t get the normal feeling of needing a pee, you just get a sensation of ‘passing’ fluid into the bag. You will probably be surprised how often you need to empty it. I was encouraged to drink plenty of fluids & emptying mine up to 10 times a day.
You soon get used to having the bag. There is no chance of accidentally pulling it out as It is held in place with a fluid filled ‘bladder’ inside your bladder which holds the catheter in position.
For overnight, there is another larger (1500ml) bag with a long tube. This is the night bag. This is attached to the tap at the bottom of your day bag & typically will sit on the floor next to your bed. Once connected to the day bag, just open the day bag tap & you are all set for the night.
I was a bit paranoid about the bag leaking, so I put my night bag into a washing up bowl on the floor next to the bed.
every morning I awoke to find both bags full, sometimes it seemed they were full to bursting & I was very quick to empty the bags. However the chances of the bags actually bursting are nil.
Emptying the bags in the morning are simple enough. Just open the tap at the bottom of the night bag into the loo & both bags will drain away.
The night bags are single use & get binned once emptied.
Just close the day bag tap & unplug the night bag tube.
The day bag gets changed after 7 days.
In my case, this was done by a visiting district nurse. The nurse was organised by the hospital & I didn’t know anything about it until she rang me a day after I got home to make the appointment for the 7 day change.
Changing the day bag is straight forward. They just unplug it from the tube & plug a new bag on. The tube remains in place & is not changed.
You can shower normally with the day bag strapped to your leg.
I was sent home with a carrier bag full of kit. 10 night bags, 1 day bag & a couple of spare leg straps to use when the straps get wet when showering.
When it’s time for the catheter removal, you will attend a trail without catheter (TWOC) appointment.
At the TWOC the catheter fluid bladder is drained via a syringe that is attached to an outlet at the catheter valve. The catheter tube is then removed.
I was worried that this would be painful after 10 days, but I didn’t feel any pain or discomfort at all as the tube was being pulled out.
You will be at the TWOC clinic for quite a while as once the catheter is removed. You are monitored closely & have to drink fluids & empty your bladder, twice, before you can go. Once you have pee’d twice, your bladder is scanned to check it is empty. If you are managing to empty your bladder successfully, you can go home.
If you can’t empty your bladder, then another catheter will be fitted at the clinic & you will be sent home.
Assuming all is good & you get home without another catheter fitted, the TWOC clinic will give you emergency contact details & instructions on what to do if you find you can’t pee when you get home, but it’s basically a case of get to A&E where a catheter will be fitted.
Overall, you will soon get used to having the catheter in place.
I have some tips I would suggest.
The taps on the day & night bags are simple lever taps & I found it was easy to accidentally open the day bag a little when the lever caught on my clothing, so I just wrapped a little pvc tape around the tap to stop this & just removed the tape each time I emptied the bag.
I used a washing up bowl to sit the night bag in next to the bed.
Don’t wait until the day bag is full before emptying it. The fuller it gets, the more it weighs & is more likely to pull on the tube when you walk around, which can be quite painful.
Finally, after surgery, you can expect to be passing blood & tissue into the bag. Don’t be alarmed, this is normal. I was told to expect this for the first few days, but I had this for more than a week & mentioned this to the district nurse, who reassured me it was nothing to be worried about.
Hope everything goes well with your surgery & if I can help with any questions you have, just get in touch.
Apologies again for this very long post.

Apologies, Very long post alert.
Like you, I was quite worried about having a catheter, but it was all ok.
I just want to reassure you & share my experience following my successful rezum surgery at Stepping Hill Hospital in February.
I was told pre surgery that I would have the catheter in for 10 days. It was fitted whilst I was in theatre under the anaesthetic, so I didn’t feel a thing.
Upon waking up, more or less first thing I did was take a look. The tube going in was larger than I was expecting, about the thickness of a pencil. There was no pain at all, just a feeling of being a little uncomfortable. There is a short tube attached to a small bag (500ml) known as the day bag, which is strapped to your thigh by adjustable elastic straps with Velcro fastening & has a tap at the bottom of the bag so you can empty it. When the time comes to empty the bag, you just point it down the loo & open the tap. You don’t get the normal feeling of needing a pee, you just get a sensation of ‘passing’ fluid into the bag. You will probably be surprised how often you need to empty it. I was encouraged to drink plenty of fluids & emptying mine up to 10 times a day.
You soon get used to having the bag. There is no chance of accidentally pulling it out as It is held in place with a fluid filled ‘bladder’ inside your bladder which holds the catheter in position.
For overnight, there is another larger (1500ml) bag with a long tube. This is the night bag. This is attached to the tap at the bottom of your day bag & typically will sit on the floor next to your bed. Once connected to the day bag, just open the day bag tap & you are all set for the night.
I was a bit paranoid about the bag leaking, so I put my night bag into a washing up bowl on the floor next to the bed.
every morning I awoke to find both bags full, sometimes it seemed they were full to bursting & I was very quick to empty the bags. However the chances of the bags actually bursting are nil.
Emptying the bags in the morning are simple enough. Just open the tap at the bottom of the night bag into the loo & both bags will drain away.
The night bags are single use & get binned once emptied.
Just close the day bag tap & unplug the night bag tube.
The day bag gets changed after 7 days.
In my case, this was done by a visiting district nurse. The nurse was organised by the hospital & I didn’t know anything about it until she rang me a day after I got home to make the appointment for the 7 day change.
Changing the day bag is straight forward. They just unplug it from the tube & plug a new bag on. The tube remains in place & is not changed.
You can shower normally with the day bag strapped to your leg.
I was sent home with a carrier bag full of kit. 10 night bags, 1 day bag & a couple of spare leg straps to use when the straps get wet when showering.
When it’s time for the catheter removal, you will attend a trail without catheter (TWOC) appointment.
At the TWOC the catheter fluid bladder is drained via a syringe that is attached to an outlet at the catheter valve. The catheter tube is then removed.
I was worried that this would be painful after 10 days, but I didn’t feel any pain or discomfort at all as the tube was being pulled out.
You will be at the TWOC clinic for quite a while as once the catheter is removed. You are monitored closely & have to drink fluids & empty your bladder, twice, before you can go. Once you have pee’d twice, your bladder is scanned to check it is empty. If you are managing to empty your bladder successfully, you can go home.
If you can’t empty your bladder, then another catheter will be fitted at the clinic & you will be sent home.
Assuming all is good & you get home without another catheter fitted, the TWOC clinic will give you emergency contact details & instructions on what to do if you find you can’t pee when you get home, but it’s basically a case of get to A&E where a catheter will be fitted.
Overall, you will soon get used to having the catheter in place.
I have some tips I would suggest.
The taps on the day & night bags are simple lever taps & I found it was easy to accidentally open the day bag a little when the lever caught on my clothing, so I just wrapped a little pvc tape around the tap to stop this & just removed the tape each time I emptied the bag.
I used a washing up bowl to sit the night bag in next to the bed.
Don’t wait until the day bag is full before emptying it. The fuller it gets, the more it weighs & is more likely to pull on the tube when you walk around, which can be quite painful.
Finally, after surgery, you can expect to be passing blood & tissue into the bag. Don’t be alarmed, this is normal. I was told to expect this for the first few days, but I had this for more than a week & mentioned this to the district nurse, who reassured me it was nothing to be worried about.
Hope everything goes well with your surgery & if I can help with any questions you have, just get in touch.
Apologies again for this very long post.
Absolute superb shared experience MB !!!
You couldn’t have shared it any better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.