Prostate cancer

Sorry to hear this but it must mean that they’ve caught this very early.

I have a good prognosis but mine was judged slightly too late for this option - the coward in my is secretly glad.

Just back from The Christie because I had my brachytherapy session yesterday. Overall it wasn’t too bad. Lots of waiting around. I had a general anaesthetic so was out for it all, and then I was wheeled back to my private room with a catheter. I wasn’t in any pain but I hardly slept because with the catheter and saline drip attached, side-sleeping wasn’t a realistic option. So I just lay propped up listening to music for about 5 hours!

CT scan this week to be followed by three weeks of radiotherapy in a couple of weeks.
hope your well soon mate.its the catheter that im a bit worried about tbh.my dad had one after a stroke and he kept pulling it out and getting water infections.i must admit im not looking forward to the op or afterwards.nobody has really mentioned brachytherapy to me just radiotherapy and prostatectomy.

My brother passed away last week . Initially diagnosed with colon cancer and after an op last November was given the all clear . He had no follow up appts despite trying to get some as his recovery seemed to be awfully slow and lack of mobility . Turned out they missed some of the cancer which then spread to his liver and bones, meaning he was straight into palliative care from June . My message is good luck fighting your illness blues , it doesn’t necessarily mean the end of your life , but listen to your body and if it doesn’t feel right either pre or post diagnosis , raise up complaints to ensure you are listened to and have the correct diagnosis/ treatment going forward .

My brother passed away last week . Initially diagnosed with colon cancer and after an op last November was given the all clear . He had no follow up appts despite trying to get some as his recovery seemed to be awfully slow and lack of mobility . Turned out they missed some of the cancer which then spread to his liver and bones, meaning he was straight into palliative care from June . My message is good luck fighting your illness blues , it doesn’t necessarily mean the end of your life , but listen to your body and if it doesn’t feel right either pre or post diagnosis , raise up complaints to ensure you are listened to and have the correct diagnosis/ treatment going forward .
Sorry to hear of your brother’s experience, but thank you for posting his story to encourage others.

hope your well soon mate.its the catheter that im a bit worried about tbh.my dad had one after a stroke and he kept pulling it out and getting water infections.i must admit im not looking forward to the op or afterwards.nobody has really mentioned brachytherapy to me just radiotherapy and prostatectomy.
I’m guessing that they will only consider a prostatectomy when there is a very good chance they can get all of the cancer out in one go without the chance of it already having spread.

In my case it was borderline but the consultant was considering it initially even though he said he thought because my cancer was “poking out of the prostate slightly” it was probably not a good option. I’ve had nearly 5 months of hormone treatment, which stops the cancer growing, Abiraterone which wipes out testosterone completely and the brachytherapy burns the cancer with radiatiation. Hopefully the upcoming radiotherapy will kill it off.

As time goes by, the amount of data they must be building up on what works best for each type and stage of cancer must be pretty large, and so I tell myself that what they have suggested must be best for me. At the next meeting with your consultant, it’s certainly worth asking why they think prostatectomy is the best option and what are the alternatives. If they explain this then I’m guessing that you will feel happier about the reasons even if you are not looking forward to it.

Best of luck and keep posting on here - we can all help each other through this.
That is terrible, my condolences to you. Hard to believe that there were no follow-up appointments after such a major operation. It just goes to show that if you think something is wrong, you have to keep pushing.

Sorry to hear this but it must mean that they’ve caught this very early.

I have a good prognosis but mine was judged slightly too late for this option - the coward in my is secretly glad.

Just back from The Christie because I had my brachytherapy session yesterday. Overall it wasn’t too bad. Lots of waiting around. I had a general anaesthetic so was out for it all, and then I was wheeled back to my private room with a catheter. I wasn’t in any pain but I hardly slept because with the catheter and saline drip attached, side-sleeping wasn’t a realistic option. So I just lay propped up listening to music for about 5 hours!

CT scan this week to be followed by three weeks of radiotherapy in a couple of weeks.
Sounds almost the same treatment I had. The radiotherapy in itself is pain-free but the fatigue that follows can be a bit of a shock. You will be told to drink lots of water before every session. A word to the wise. On your trips to your sessions avoid speed bumps as bladder control gets worse for a few weeks.
I finished my radiotherapy sessions at the end of April and finished my hormone tablets in mid June. Just waiting now until a follow up PSA check the week before Christmas. It's a long wait and it will be my first opportunity to know if the treatment has been successful.
As others have said good luck to everybody going through and about to go through treatment. If you can get yourselves checked out. In my case I was totally symptom free.

Sounds almost the same treatment I had. The radiotherapy in itself is pain-free but the fatigue that follows can be a bit of a shock. You will be told to drink lots of water before every session. A word to the wise. On your trips to your sessions avoid speed bumps as bladder control gets worse for a few weeks.
I finished my radiotherapy sessions at the end of April and finished my hormone tablets in mid June. Just waiting now until a follow up PSA check the week before Christmas. It's a long wait and it will be my first opportunity to know if the treatment has been successful.
As others have said good luck to everybody going through and about to go through treatment. If you can get yourselves checked out. In my case I was totally symptom free.
Thanks, it’s good to know what to expect. My radiotherapy will be 15 sessions over three weeks.

How long were you fatigued for and how does the bladder control improve over time?

I had back and hip pain (felt like in the bones) and had a PSA test done. Came back at 18.4 (0-4 normal range). Had an MRI scan done - two growths , one on each side - graded at a 4 and a 3. Given the above and the amount of pain I was in, I thought not good. Subsequently I had a bone scan - all good to my disbelief. Biopsy followed a week later - with a telephone call from the consultant - result "benign". They just want to monitor my PSA every two months (should be in 2-3 weeks) and I guess if need be subject me to more biopsies. Perhaps I need to understand the significance of the benign lumps/growths in the future and on-going high PSA levels if it doesn't recede.

If you notice any change in your waterworks (even just a change of pressure) get in there and get a PSA test done. It takes a few minutes. You can even get them on Amazon for a few quid - just suggests positive or negative rather than gives you an actual score - but better than nothing.

Don't give DREs (digital Rectal Examinations) much credence; they are fairly ineffective (didn't detect my lumps). So if you get a DRE make sure you also get a PSA test as well

Thanks, it’s good to know what to expect. My radiotherapy will be 15 sessions over three weeks.

How long were you fatigued for and how does the bladder control improve over time?
Bladder control probably at 85% of a normal level now some 5 months after radiotherapy and 3 months after completion of hormone tablets. If you haven't had them yet you will get medication that will help.
It didn't stop me from going for small walks but I made sure any walks passed places I could call in at should the need arise. My walk passed a McDonald's, Weatherspoons and Sainsburys.
Re the fatigue I am still struggling although there is improvement. I have a friend who had the same treatment and his fatigue didn't fully go for about 15 months. I've been told that there is no hard and fast rule to how long it lasts although it will be at its worse about 7-10 days after your last radiotherapy session.
Be aware that you will feel uncomfortable at The Christie in the half hour before your radiotherapy sessions. Prior to your sessions you have to empty both your bladder and rectum. You will get a supply of enemas which help. Don't let it worry you as everyone else in the waiting room is in the same boat and stories do get swapped between patients.
Sorry that this has been a bit of a ramble but I hope it helps you and others.

Bladder control probably at 85% of a normal level now some 5 months after radiotherapy and 3 months after completion of hormone tablets. If you haven't had them yet you will get medication that will help.
It didn't stop me from going for small walks but I made sure any walks passed places I could call in at should the need arise. My walk passed a McDonald's, Weatherspoons and Sainsburys.
Re the fatigue I am still struggling although there is improvement. I have a friend who had the same treatment and his fatigue didn't fully go for about 15 months. I've been told that there is no hard and fast rule to how long it lasts although it will be at its worse about 7-10 days after your last radiotherapy session.
Be aware that you will feel uncomfortable at The Christie in the half hour before your radiotherapy sessions. Prior to your sessions you have to empty both your bladder and rectum. You will get a supply of enemas which help. Don't let it worry you as everyone else in the waiting room is in the same boat and stories do get swapped between patients.
Sorry that this has been a bit of a ramble but I hope it helps you and others.
No apology necessary - I’ve asked and you’ve supplied the exact information I need. I realise it will be different for everybody so we’ll see how it goes. Thanks again for sharing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.