PS4 OR Xbox One

The new amazon fire tv looks interesting

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/amazons-fire-tv-hands-on/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/amaz ... -hands-on/</a>

Some of you might be interested to know that OneGuide functionality arrived for the Xbox One on any consoles enrolled in the beta programme. It should be rolling out to everyone in a couple of weeks, given previous beta periods.

The guide works with pretty much any set top box designed for Sky, Virgin, Freeview or Freesat. It has a full TV guide with information on each show and it searches your apps for episodes, series or sequels for the programme or movie. It also allows you to view app content in your guide and control DVR functions, including pausing live TV, where your equipment provides it.

It also now turns your set top box on and off with the console where you allow it to and is fully integrated with SmartGlass, meaning your mobile phone can control all your media and games. The SmartGlass app also has the guide built in, allowing you to look through what is on without affecting the TV picture. You can then click an entry on your phone or tablet and it will take you to that channel.

All in all it is pretty slick!

It is also expected that DX12 and Cortana will arrive in the next couple of betas, which should see a large rise in graphics performance even on games not specifically written for it, as well as meaning the existing voice command system will be replaced with a natural language speech recognition.

The new functionality is coming thick and fast.

Microsoft have just demoed their Cloud Assist technology for Xbox One and it appears to capable of handling a lot more of the physics and graphics workload than people gave it credit for. One of the demos involved firing rockets at a building and blowing it up into thousands of fragments whilst the viewpoint moved. The demo was run on two sets of the same hardware, one with Cloud Assist and one without. The Cloud Assist system maintained the 30fps frame rate of the demo throughout, whilst the system without Cloud Assist dropped right down to 2fps as the physics simulation and rendering bogged it down. It's beginning to look like their investment in the cloud may pay off big time for those of us with an Xbox One and I can't wait to see how far they are able to push the technology.

15ck7k1.jpg

Irwell said:
Microsoft have just demoed their Cloud Assist technology for Xbox One and it appears to capable of handling a lot more of the physics and graphics workload than people gave it credit for. One of the demos involved firing rockets at a building and blowing it up into thousands of fragments whilst the viewpoint moved. The demo was run on two sets of the same hardware, one with Cloud Assist and one without. The Cloud Assist system maintained the 30fps frame rate of the demo throughout, whilst the system without Cloud Assist dropped right down to 2fps as the physics simulation and rendering bogged it down. It's beginning to look like their investment in the cloud may pay off big time for those of us with an Xbox One and I can't wait to see how far they are able to push the technology.

15ck7k1.jpg

It's an interesting idea, especially if you've got a high quality internet connection. But if that is accurate, showing off 30fps as something to be proud of in 2014 is pretty laughable to be honest. It's like Panasonic championing gramophones ;)

Doyaldinho said:
It's an interesting idea, especially if you've got a high quality internet connection. But if that is accurate, showing off 30fps as something to be proud of in 2014 is pretty laughable to be honest. It's like Panasonic championing gramophones ;)
It wasn't meant to show cutting edge graphics, which is why it uses low resolution textures and has a low frame rate. The whole point was to show that they could offload the physics processing and maintain a framerate cap that the system wouldn't have even been close to capable of on it's own.

tailspin747 said:
It pains me to say this as a loyal Xbox and 360 fan but....

I think I'll be going ps4.

Microsoft have missed a trick. I want a games machine not an entertainment hub :(
The Xbox One is a decent gaming machine. If you don't play the games side by side you won't notice the difference between an Xbox version and a PS4 version of a cross-platform game, the Xbox exclusives are generally better than the PS4 ones, there is generally more DLC offered for the Xbox One and Microsoft have a much stronger development pipeline.

As I've said before, if you like mildly higher quality graphics in your exclusives you will probably want the PS4. If you want exclusives with more advanced gameplay (larger worlds, persistent worlds, advanced AI, Kinect functionality, etc.) you are better going with the Xbox One. The PS4 is a more powerful but more basic console whilst the Xbox One is less powerful console but with a more advanced feature set.

More good news for Xbox One owners as Microsoft have announced that universal Windows apps will run on Xbox One, meaning the console should be getting a big wave of apps starting fairly soon. The first one to be approved is Plex, meaning we'll have all the Plex functionality including full DLNA with both pull and push capability as well as cloud streaming.

There are also a lot of rumours flying around that the Xbox One is getting a 360 emulator, which will be good news for those of us with a library of 360 games.

Another set of additions that seems to be coming very soon according to some Microsoft employees are background tasks and Spotify, which would be a nice combination. It should mean you can have your Spotify playlist running in the background whilst playing your game.

Irwell said:
tailspin747 said:
It pains me to say this as a loyal Xbox and 360 fan but....

I think I'll be going ps4.

Microsoft have missed a trick. I want a games machine not an entertainment hub :(
The Xbox One is a decent gaming machine. If you don't play the games side by side you won't notice the difference between an Xbox version and a PS4 version of a cross-platform game, the Xbox exclusives are generally better than the PS4 ones, there is generally more DLC offered for the Xbox One and Microsoft have a much stronger development pipeline.

As I've said before, if you like mildly higher quality graphics in your exclusives you will probably want the PS4. If you want exclusives with more advanced gameplay (larger worlds, persistent worlds, advanced AI, Kinect functionality, etc.) you are better going with the Xbox One. The PS4 is a more powerful but more basic console whilst the Xbox One is less powerful console but with a more advanced feature set.
The only multiplat I have played on both is battlefield 4 and it is most definitely better on ps4 graphics wise dlc seems to be favouring ps4 so far this gen with ac4, watchdogs and mgs all coming with some ps4 exclusive destiny beta is being released first on ps4 and i think maybe some exclusive dlc but not so confident on that one. If your talking about game development then I would say if last gen is a bench mark sony brought a more varied amount of exclusives hell in the last year to 18 months sony brought 13 exclusive games for ps3 as opposed to 2 maybe 3 from ms. I was always a ps fan and probably always will prefer the ps, never had an xbox till I got the xbox1 a couple of weeks ago and although it is impressive with kinect which blows ps camera to shit tbh apart from the home screen navigation there isn't really a lot of gaming options with it unless you count the fitness app as some sort of game though kinect did work well with the fitness app for the 10 minutes I had it on. I think the most I have done is tell Lara croft to switch weapons with kinect in game. So far from what I have seen and heard of planned releases ps4 will be the main gaming station for multiplat games and xbox1 will be for exclusives or if they do a good deal on a game like the half price tomb raider they had on xbox live last weekend

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.