PSG post match thread

Very sorry but I really can't agree with disciplined, well-organized defending. It was shambolic at both ends. Otamendi was disastrous, he runs around like a headless chicken. If it wasn't for the inexplicable one-on-one miss by Ibrahimovic in the first half, it would've been severely punished.

Mangala did very well on a personal level and with some good tactical & positional guidance (Vinny!) I'm sure he could become a great CB. For Otamendi I have no hope.

Let's face it, if PSG would've been their normal efficient selves, City would've been 2-0 down halfway the first half perhaps even with ten man. I think a lot of referees would've given that first penalty shout and a red card on top of it. There's arguments in favor and against, but PSG had a very strong case there in my view (a lot stronger than the actual penalty they got).

Clichy was not good either. Stupidest of yellow cards by the sideline, totally uncalled for. Also lost posession without being under threat a fair number of times. I thought Sagna did a lot better at the other end, but just like Clichy played way too far from the PSG winger. Every time their wing backes moved forward in the second half there was no City player even close to them, they could freely control the ball, run forward a bit more, pick out their best foot and swing in a lovely cross for Ibra, Cavani and the others.

So organizationally, positionally, tactically, City defense was all over the place. Strong guidance required.

Apart from that City fought hard, looked good going forward and deserved the result. But it could've been a totally different story with Ibra in his normal form.

Sorry to disagree guys.

No need to be sorry for your opinions:) I'm rather happy with the results last night. But you're not wrong in saying that City's defence left a lot to be desired. Nowhere as shambolic as in some of the recent disasters, but I do feel that it needs some more work.

Mangala defended brilliantly last night. Otamendi really needs to curb his rashness. But both of them (and Clichy as well) may have to work on their passing. As BluessinceHydeRoad has kindly pointed out, most chances from both sides were results of sloppy passing during transition. So some of the more hairy moments last night were brought upon by the defenders themselves. Improvement needed in that regard for the second leg.

But I think the referee was correct in not awarding the first penalty. From his position I think he couldn't be sure about the foul so it would only be right to give the benefit of doubt. Such disputes only strengthen the need for instant replays though.

Very sorry but I really can't agree with disciplined, well-organized defending. It was shambolic at both ends. Otamendi was disastrous, he runs around like a headless chicken. If it wasn't for the inexplicable one-on-one miss by Ibrahimovic in the first half, it would've been severely punished.

Mangala did very well on a personal level and with some good tactical & positional guidance (Vinny!) I'm sure he could become a great CB. For Otamendi I have no hope.

Let's face it, if PSG would've been their normal efficient selves, City would've been 2-0 down halfway the first half perhaps even with ten man. I think a lot of referees would've given that first penalty shout and a red card on top of it. There's arguments in favor and against, but PSG had a very strong case there in my view (a lot stronger than the actual penalty they got).

Clichy was not good either. Stupidest of yellow cards by the sideline, totally uncalled for. Also lost posession without being under threat a fair number of times. I thought Sagna did a lot better at the other end, but just like Clichy played way too far from the PSG winger. Every time their wing backes moved forward in the second half there was no City player even close to them, they could freely control the ball, run forward a bit more, pick out their best foot and swing in a lovely cross for Ibra, Cavani and the others.

So organizationally, positionally, tactically, City defense was all over the place. Strong guidance required.

Apart from that City fought hard, looked good going forward and deserved the result. But it could've been a totally different story with Ibra in his normal form.

Sorry to disagree guys.

Or, alternatively, the referee could have judged that Matuidi got the ball caught in his feet and was not fouled by Mangala, that Luiz hooked Sagna's leg and dived for the penalty appeal. This would have got Luis his second yellow and reduced PSG to ten men with the score still 0-0. So City would not have been, as they were not, 2-0 down and we wouldn't have been, as we weren't, down to ten men. Being their "normal, efficient selves" doesn't ever give them a pass completion rate or a chance conversion rate of 100% or anything like - any more than City.

My point is this. Keane, Ferdinand and the media always judge City performances on what would have happened had absolutely everything that could have gone wrong actually gone wrong while our opponents are expected to have everything go right. Thus, City were lucky Mangala was not sent off, lucky Joe saved a penalty, lucky "Zlatan" (their personal friend?) put a good chance over the bar and they were unlucky to concede two sloppy goals but not at all lucky not to have Luis sent off, not at all lucky to be given a penalty that wasn't and certainly not lucky to be given a goal which should have been disallowed. And that's what you are doing, though for very different reasons. No team can play PSG and prevent them creating chances in 90 minutes, as Real will testify from the group games, but against Real PSG didn't stick them away either. They couldn't stop us creating and taking two chances. That is what actually happened. But you can always play the "what if..." game.

Very good for large spells last night and very naive at times! We need vinny to replace otamendi for the 2nd leg and yaya in the middle to keep the ball better! To all those saying we need a new left back get real clichy has been diffrent gravy last 5 or 6 games and there is not much better out there when he plays to that level. Man of match for me closely followed by Fernando yes Fernando!

"To all those saying we need a new left back get real"

Thank fuck you're not in charge of our transfers.

82% of teams who draww 2-2 away in the first leg progress.

14 English teams have gotten a 2-2 in Europe away in the first leg, 13 have progressed.

Or, alternatively, the referee could have judged that Matuidi got the ball caught in his feet and was not fouled by Mangala, that Luiz hooked Sagna's leg and dived for the penalty appeal. This would have got Luis his second yellow and reduced PSG to ten men with the score still 0-0. So City would not have been, as they were not, 2-0 down and we wouldn't have been, as we weren't, down to ten men. Being their "normal, efficient selves" doesn't ever give them a pass completion rate or a chance conversion rate of 100% or anything like - any more than City.

My point is this. Keane, Ferdinand and the media always judge City performances on what would have happened had absolutely everything that could have gone wrong actually gone wrong while our opponents are expected to have everything go right. Thus, City were lucky Mangala was not sent off, lucky Joe saved a penalty, lucky "Zlatan" (their personal friend?) put a good chance over the bar and they were unlucky to concede two sloppy goals but not at all lucky not to have Luis sent off, not at all lucky to be given a penalty that wasn't and certainly not lucky to be given a goal which should have been disallowed. And that's what you are doing, though for very different reasons. No team can play PSG and prevent them creating chances in 90 minutes, as Real will testify from the group games, but against Real PSG didn't stick them away either. They couldn't stop us creating and taking two chances. That is what actually happened. But you can always play the "what if..." game.

I get what you're saying and you're absolutely right about some of the reporting, but that doesn't change the fact for me that the defence, from an organizational point of view, was simply not good yesterday and could've cost City dearly.

Of course even Zlatan will miss the odd chance every now and then but him missing the one-on-one (even more than the penalty, which really was a GREAT save by Hart) I think is something noone expected and will probably happen 1 out of a 100.

What bothered me most was how much freedom the PSG wing backs were given especially in the second half while everybody knows that this is one of the biggest weapons they use.

And I don't think City can complain about the ref last night, but neither did he clearly favor City or whatever. The Luiz penalty probably shouldn't have been given, but Sagna's leg was there to obstruct and if you look at the replay you even see him giving a second nudge with that leg as Luiz (pretends to) skip past. Definitely not a blatant dive to deserve a second yellow. And Matuidi didn't get the ball caught between his feet, clearly pushed from behind by Mangala, only argument in City's favor was the fact that Matuidi didn't have a close control of the ball and the chance was maybe already over. I think that's why the ref judged in City's favor. If he'd given the penalty and the red, I don't think any neutral fan watching would've argued.

Looking at the Mail's stories about the game and apparently it was yet another lopsided foulathon; 15-6, no guesses who's who.

An entertaining game but I thought City were good with some flaws. Joe's punching when there was a clear opportunity to catch and Ota's gung-ho approach to name just two. PSG's willingness to throw themselves to ground was an embarrassment. It would also be lovely to have unbiased commentary on at least one broadcast medium.

I feel very lucky to have read your post. Seriously i agree Luiz should have got a red. A blatant hook & dive. There was no luck in De Bruynes goal. A beauty.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.