PSG post match thread

Elated with the result. To be honest, I did expect them to take this leg of the tie. I'm glad I was wrong.

Kev is a cracking young player and should only get better. He'll prove himself to be far more valuable than what we paid for him. The lad has a chance to become a City legend. I hope he stays here a good long time.

I thought City gave a very professional, disciplined performance against a very good PSG team. Our two full backs played well throughout and both Mangala and Ottamendi had very good games. Then I read the papers this morning and found not one report based on what the reporter had actually seen but reports by the score based on the peevish comments the curled lip one from Stretford and his vitriolic, Irish ex-team mate. All we had actually been treated to was comical, not to say slapstick defending, which reassured the Independent's Jim White because it showed that the two teams involved in El Cashico couldn't buy a decent defender between them for all theor Arab petro dollars and because neither can possibly win the competition. Fernando will no doubt lead out both teams at the Etihad in City's new strip of enormous boots, long baggy trousers and bright red noses.

One might be forgiven for thinking the defenders would have a very comfortable night when PSG put out a front three of Di Maria, Cavani and some Swedish guy, to face City's powder puff three of Silva, de Bruyne and that little Argentine bloke. Those six have never made a defender struggle in their lives! But, yet again, we see that City, and PSG, are viewed through completely different eyes to the more stablished CL teams, even those who fell by the wayside long before the last eight. What I have noticed over the years, certainly since 2008, is that no team defends in the way they used to. To win anything anywhere now you have to win matches - draws are no good - and to do that you have to score goals; just look at the strikers the best teams have! But you have to have full backs who belie the name of their position, who rampage down the flanks overlapping and undertaking. Your central defenders are really ball playing, deep lying midfielders who launch attacks but rely on cover from other not quite so deep lying midfielders. When you go forward you go forward as a unit.

The trouble is that if you give the ball away soon after transition you have to re-transition before three hugely talented superstars can make you pay. This is what happened last night; Matuidi's brush with Mangala, Ibrahimovici's one on one with Joe, KdB's goal and then Ferna's all resulted from changes in possession due to pressing or misplaced passes in midfield and quick, direct play from top quality players. This is why Guardiola considers losing possession as a more heinous crime than high treason. Yet it happens to Bayern, Real and to Barcelona. The defending of all these teams is, at times "scrambling", "last ditch" and "untidy" though our media never describes their defending as "comical" for some reason. I point out here that I remember very well the loud guffaws in our house at the defending of a certain Roy Keane as he put through his own goal in the tie with Real in 2000, which meant United needed two . Think of the mess Kun made of both Munich CDs last season at the Etihad, or Messi' dumpinh Boateng on his pants in the semi. Ramos and Pepe? It's the quality of the forwards which is hard to believe, not the weakness of the defenders.

As I have said many times before, any team which has Joe at one end to keep them out and Kun at the other to bang them in has to have a chance in any game. If you can put Vinnie, Ferna, Ya Ya, Merlin and KdB between them your chances only get better.

I thought City gave a very professional, disciplined performance against a very good PSG team. Our two full backs played well throughout and both Mangala and Ottamendi had very good games. Then I read the papers this morning and found not one report based on what the reporter had actually seen but reports by the score based on the peevish comments the curled lip one from Stretford and his vitriolic, Irish ex-team mate. All we had actually been treated to was comical, not to say slapstick defending, which reassured the Independent's Jim White because it showed that the two teams involved in El Cashico couldn't buy a decent defender between them for all theor Arab petro dollars and because neither can possibly win the competition. Fernando will no doubt lead out both teams at the Etihad in City's new strip of enormous boots, long baggy trousers and bright red noses.

One might be forgiven for thinking the defenders would have a very comfortable night when PSG put out a front three of Di Maria, Cavani and some Swedish guy, to face City's powder puff three of Silva, de Bruyne and that little Argentine bloke. Those six have never made a defender struggle in their lives! But, yet again, we see that City, and PSG, are viewed through completely different eyes to the more stablished CL teams, even those who fell by the wayside long before the last eight. What I have noticed over the years, certainly since 2008, is that no team defends in the way they used to. To win anything anywhere now you have to win matches - draws are no good - and to do that you have to score goals; just look at the strikers the best teams have! But you have to have full backs who belie the name of their position, who rampage down the flanks overlapping and undertaking. Your central defenders are really ball playing, deep lying midfielders who launch attacks but rely on cover from other not quite so deep lying midfielders. When you go forward you go forward as a unit.

The trouble is that if you give the ball away soon after transition you have to re-transition before three hugely talented superstars can make you pay. This is what happened last night; Matuidi's brush with Mangala, Ibrahimovici's one on one with Joe, KdB's goal and then Ferna's all resulted from changes in possession due to pressing or misplaced passes in midfield and quick, direct play from top quality players. This is why Guardiola considers losing possession as a more heinous crime than high treason. Yet it happens to Bayern, Real and to Barcelona. The defending of all these teams is, at times "scrambling", "last ditch" and "untidy" though our media never describes their defending as "comical" for some reason. I point out here that I remember very well the loud guffaws in our house at the defending of a certain Roy Keane as he put through his own goal in the tie with Real in 2000, which meant United needed two . Think of the mess Kun made of both Munich CDs last season at the Etihad, or Messi' dumpinh Boateng on his pants in the semi. Ramos and Pepe? It's the quality of the forwards which is hard to believe, not the weakness of the defenders.

As I have said many times before, any team which has Joe at one end to keep them out and Kun at the other to bang them in has to have a chance in any game. If you can put Vinnie, Ferna, Ya Ya, Merlin and KdB between them your chances only get better.

Spot on

Thank you BSHR, your are the BM poster of record.

Excellent post although I do think Otamendi has a major flaw in his game - he likes to dive in - usually going to ground too easily - leaving gaping holes behind when he fails to get the ball. Other than that I was pretty pleased with the game. Would love it if we progress as it would be funny to watch the media have to admit we actually have done well! Love the fact that BT think having a Frenchman, Liverpudlian and a Rag gives a balanced view.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.