PSG vs Istanbul Basaksehir suspended after 4th official accused of racism

He’s apparently referred to someone as “the black guy” to distinguish them sat on the bench from the other players.

If it is that...Is that racism?

Genuinely open question to anyone with an opinion.

In general I think it's unwise to refer to someone simply by the colour of their skin, but it's important to remember there's a translation mix up here as well.

Game to be re-started tomorrow at 6.55pm Paris time according to Five Live (with a new team officiating).

Listen to what Ba is saying. He's asking why black guy is being used when if it was a white guy it would simply be that guy. Why does he have to use the colour of his skin when he wouldn't if it was a white guy?
That's the issue. It's lazy. Casual racism.
What if the bench was 5 black fellas and one white fella?

I genuinely think people are losing their minds over this.

Listen to what Ba is saying. He's asking why black guy is being used when if it was a white guy it would simply be that guy. Why does he have to use the colour of his skin when he wouldn't if it was a white guy?
That's the issue. It's lazy. Casual racism.

If United and Gill get involved, will save him a ban.

He’s apparently referred to someone as “the black guy” to distinguish them sat on the bench from the other players.

If it is that...Is that racism?

Genuinely open question to anyone with an opinion.

That's the exact conversation I've been having with friends in the last hour. If it is racist, then I am completely ignorant to it and apologise if I've ever referred to someone by their skin colour. Which i have, many many times.

Systemic racism I think is what they call it? Racism that previously went unnoticed but is now at the forefront of all conversations.

In general I think it's unwise to refer to someone simply by the colour of their skin, but it's important to remember there's a translation mix up here as well.
There's not. He said negru, which is black.
A quick Google shows white in Romania is 'wit'. If it was a white player he wouldn't have have said wit.

I agree with this, especially if it can be helped but if there’s a room full of people and there’s one white fella and the rest black guys, or vice versa, picking them out by that description, isn’t racism.

I believe the allegation is stronger than that - this isn't Ba but its someone from the bench accusing someone of calling a black player a negro? Even if its misunderstood this is not a great week for racism in football.

The Romanian 4th official said "negru" a lot. He was saying "Send the black one off". Pierre Webu and Demba Ba thought he was saying negro or n***** and got upset.

There was then a bit of a confrontation and Ba asked the referee why he'd refer to him as "the black one", after all he's not the only black person on the bench and he hadn't referred to anyone else as just their skin colour.

IMO the referees could have deescalated this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.