Punk and New Wave thread.

Rather than dump this in the 'what are you listening to now' thread I thought I'd dump it in here.

40 years ago I bought this 7" EP from the underground market paying just 75p for it! Seems like yesterday and it still sounds great, especially the title track.

One - Two - Three - Go
I've got an ego
It won't let me go
What am I gonna do?
A - B - C - D
Paranoia's killing me
I'm dying on my aching feet
What a way to go
Roll up - Roll up
People always stroll up
Say "Why don't you grow up?"
No thank you!
Big cats, small cats
Some cats are fat cats
Those cats are bad cats
What we gonna do?
There's an awful lot of people in the world today
There's an awful lot of trouble in the streets these days
And it doesn't seem to matter what you do or say
If a change is gonna come you've got to help it on it's way
A change is gonna come before too long I know
Peace has gotta come, well, I could be wrong I know
But I just don't know what I can do
You don't trust me and I don't trust you
I bet you wish you did and I know I do

Rather than dump this in the 'what are you listening to now' thread I thought I'd dump it in here.

40 years ago I bought this 7" EP from the underground market paying just 75p for it! Seems like yesterday and it still sounds great, especially the title track.

One - Two - Three - Go
I've got an ego
It won't let me go
What am I gonna do?
A - B - C - D
Paranoia's killing me
What a way to go
Roll up - Roll up
People always stroll up
No thank you!
Big cats, small cats
Some cats are fat cats
Those cats are bad cats
What we gonna do?

Did you buy it off the tall blonde women with the stall?

No. I think you're on about 'Marianne faithfull'(as we called her) from the collectors records stall.
That's the one!
In the mid 90's long after the underground had gone, I took the kids to Blackpool. During a shower we nipped into some kind of arcade and there she was with her stall selling the vinyl! Seemed chuffed when I said I used to buy records from her in the underground.

That's the one!
In the mid 90's long after the underground had gone, I took the kids to Blackpool. During a shower we nipped into some kind of arcade and there she was with her stall selling the vinyl! Seemed chuffed when I said I used to buy records from her in the underground.
Her stall in Blackpool was definitely still trading in 2010 according to a good mate of mine who is an encyclopedia of punk. We used to go to the underground together and wagged much of the 5th year(school) down town and the underground market was our sanctuary. 'MF's Collectors records specialized in bootlegs picture discs promos etc and most of it was out of our price range as kids. Discount records was our go to place for latest vinyl and gig tickets.

Mensi(Angelic Upstarts) turned up to sign copies of 'Im An Upstart' but I wasn't there unfortunately, I bought the single though.

One - Two - Three - Go
I've got an ego
It won't let me go
What am I gonna do?
A - B - C - D
Paranoia's killing me
What a way to go
Roll up - Roll up
People always stroll up
No thank you!
Big cats, small cats
Some cats are fat cats
Those cats are bad cats
What we gonna do?

Never heard of that/them before. Not bad.

Never heard of that/them before. Not bad.
You'd have been in in Canada a couple of years or so if you left in 78 mate. They were on Crass records but unlike Crass they could play a bit. Their jangly guitar sounds remind me of early Smiths stuff and it wouldn't surprise me if Johnny Marr was inspired by punk. I know drummer Mike Joyce was having once been in Dukinfield's finest, The Hoax. I think @Mad Eyed Screamer will most probably know.

Also thinking about The Underground market evoked hazy memories of the punk/goth clothes place Habeas Corpus. I'd almost forgotten about there but a glint in my old grey matter has me there almost like yesterday. Bought quite a bit of punk gear from there.

Blimey, showing my age now, that was 40-42 years ago.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.