Punk and New Wave thread.

Watched the first three episodes of Pistol today.

Awful so far.

Firstly, it’s overly didactic, in the sense that cast members insist on telling you about the situationist/anarchist philosophy and motivations behind the band at every possible juncture. The effect of this is rather like a bad PowerPoint presentation where someone just reads out what’s on the slides they have made.

Secondly, the characterisations are cartoonish and superficial in pretty much every case, and the banter that goes on between those characters is neither memorable or funny.

The acting isn’t too bad, and the strikingly beautiful Sydney Chandler is particularly good as Chrissie Hynde. But that’s about it.

My recommendation would be to give this series a miss. It’s nowhere near as good as, say, the movies 24 Hour Party People or Control. Sid and Nancy is also a lot better.
I’m 3 episodes in and thoroughly enjoying it

Finally watched all episodes of Pistol over a 3 day period.
Don't know what to make of it.....ever felt.you've been cheated?

What was the point about the 2 lasses from Huddersfield? And as others have said too much time.spent on Pauline who lived in a tree.
Did McClaren (a good actor but looked very young for the role) really speak like a philosopher in real life in every sentence, similary did Rotten snarl and bite at everyone he came across?
I felt Glen Matlock's role in the band as coming up with the tunes was under played and the constant sniping about his mum and the Beatles a little tiring although the beach scene where Glen and Steve have a chat was good. Glen remarks how at Grammer school he was ostracised for not being posh enough and in the Pistols he was similarly treated for being posher than the rest of the band..... it's bits like that i wanted to see rather than caricatures calling each other cunts every 2 minutes.
I'd like to have seen more about the Bromley Contingent - although the actress playing Siouxsie in the Grundy TV clip and the odd little bit she was in played the part very well.

And the actress playing Helen of Troy looked quite tasty all punked up!
There were bits quite interesting like it all unraveling in America and the Sid n Nancy relationship and downward spiral but it all felt rather rushed compared to the time wasted on Pauline and the 2 girls from Huddersfield and yet no mention of the seminal gigs at the Lesser Free Trade Hall or the Anarchy tour with The Clash / Damned / Heartbreakers.

There was a really good drama in there trying to get out and it didn't manage to get out. Maybe I had read too many books and features on the band (including Steve Jones' book the series was based on) so my expectations were pinned on a more factual rather than entertaining product.
It wasn't bad...... but just could have been so much better......

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.