Qatar Stats - This is Truly Pathetic. What a Joke.

baylorblue said:
Q8-Blue said:
you miss the point i'm not against the US getting the world cup but they did get it in 94 so about giving someone else a chance, and yes "soccer" is not a major sport here, i've got season tickets to the portland timbers who are going in to MLS nest season so i admit its growing but far from being a major sport. The middle east however considers football to be a major sport.

I can accept the '94 argument but you are also missing my point. If as you say Football is not a major sport in the States (which I would agree with you on), and the Arab world is football mad and FIFA's stated purpose is to grow the game throughout the World then staging it in America would surely do more to accomplish that then staging it in Qatar. You can't have the argument both ways. The only argument I see for Qatar is that the US hasn't had it recently. But giving it to Qatar is questionable and furthermore, unless FIFA changes their rules again, and they likely could, China is now left out of the loop for the foreseeable future.

Thing is though the US has it recently but the middle east a region which is obsessed with football has never held any major sports tournament let alone one with such popularity as the world cup, i don't see how qatar is questionable as a candidate, they have outlines their plans for the world cup for all to see. I will not accept preposterous arguments by many about sharia law, terrorism and israelis not allowed to go, these all have been addressed by the qatari bid. The heat is a valid argument but the al-sadd stadium in qatar is already an open air-coned stadium so will the other stadiums that will be built. Its compact which as i said before can have both advantages and disadvantages. I'm not blind we in the middle east are far from perfect one thing Qatar will need to address and i am sure they will is the human rights and responsibilities to the laborers who will work to build all this infrastructure.

No way USA should get it after hosting it in 94.

The Qatar decision baffles me but I'm sure given the money they have that the facilities and stadiums will be adequate. Ultimately its another continent getting a chance to host the tournament and who are we to deny them?

The Russians were always going to win 2018 and I've no idea what we tried to go up against them given Blatters rhetoric about legacy when he awarded 2010 to South Africa.

Blatter now has his legacy having taken the world cup to russia,africa and arabia. You may not agree and may think hes a bell end but the people on these continents disagree.

Also... I've a friend who works for Fifa at grass roots and she said months ago that it was Russia's to loose as it would leave a lasting legacy. Blaming it on Panorama or blues/villa last night is ridiculous.

Q8-Blue said:
baylorblue said:
I can accept the '94 argument but you are also missing my point. If as you say Football is not a major sport in the States (which I would agree with you on), and the Arab world is football mad and FIFA's stated purpose is to grow the game throughout the World then staging it in America would surely do more to accomplish that then staging it in Qatar. You can't have the argument both ways. The only argument I see for Qatar is that the US hasn't had it recently. But giving it to Qatar is questionable and furthermore, unless FIFA changes their rules again, and they likely could, China is now left out of the loop for the foreseeable future.

Thing is though the US has it recently but the middle east a region which is obsessed with football has never held any major sports tournament let alone one with such popularity as the world cup, i don't see how qatar is questionable as a candidate, they have outlines their plans for the world cup for all to see. I will not accept preposterous arguments by many about sharia law, terrorism and israelis not allowed to go, these all have been addressed by the qatari bid. The heat is a valid argument but the al-sadd stadium in qatar is already an open air-coned stadium so will the other stadiums that will be built. Its compact which as i said before can have both advantages and disadvantages. I'm not blind we in the middle east are far from perfect one thing Qatar will need to address and i am sure they will is the human rights and responsibilities to the laborers who will work to build all this infrastructure.

4.25 square metres of living space per person in Barwa Al Baraha should salve the conscience slightly and avoid futher Human Rights Commission criticism

I'll repeat that...4.25 square metres of living space per person for the workers that will build the infrastructure for a world cup and other rich peoples projects in qatar

sounds more like exploitation to me even if it is a slight step up from the slave camps

If Israel won the WC imagine the outcry from those on the other side of the divide. I'm not jewish but fail to see how you can strip out the religious hatred in that part of the world from such a high profile global event designed to include all sides and focus purely on the sport. Can't happen there sadly.

sweynforkbeard said:
oakiecokie said:
ITS A CONFLICT AND WAR issue .. can u imagine a nazi after WW2 trying to live in the UK ?

Well,yes I can actually !!
His name was Bert Trautman.
Does his name ring a bell ??

I think the terminology that linguists use for that particular wielding of grammatical terminology is ....one nil.

I was trying to be subtle and not come over as a smart arse.
But what the shit,anyway ! lol

Balti said:
Q8-Blue said:

4.25 square metres of living space per person in Barwa Al Baraha should salve the conscience slightly and avoid futher Human Rights Commission criticism

I'll repeat that...4.25 square metres of living space per person for the workers that will build the infrastructure for a world cup and other rich peoples projects in qatar

sounds more like exploitation to me even if it is a slight step up from the slave camps

If Israel won the WC imagine the outcry from those on the other side of the divide. I'm not jewish but fail to see how you can strip out the religious hatred in that part of the world from such a high profile global event designed to include all sides and focus purely on the sport. Can't happen there sadly.

Again i did say that the human rights of laborers is an issue that will and has to be resolved it ends there. Israel has every right to qualify and attend the world cup in safety heck if they do qualify i will celebrate, why? Cause it brings people together, jews and arabs have until 1948 lived together for hundreds of years and we can do it again. Plus if you think that arab leaders have no contact with israeli leaders then you are very naive read wikileaks and you'll know the UAE's foreign minister is a good friend of tzipi livni Israel foreign minister, also qatar has close relations with Israel openning a trade office recently. We are neighbors and our leaders communicate regularly in private, it will take a world cup to make it acceptable for them to communicate openly and in public to solve our differences.

Q8-Blue said:
Balti said:

Again i did say that the human rights of laborers is an issue that will and has to be resolved it ends there. Israel has every right to qualify and attend the world cup in safety heck if they do qualify i will celebrate, why? Cause it brings people together, jews and arabs have until 1948 lived together for hundreds of years and we can do it again. Plus if you think that arab leaders have no contact with israeli leaders then you are very naive read wikileaks and you'll know the UAE's foreign minister is a good friend of tzipi livni Israel foreign minister, also qatar has close relations with Israel openning a trade office recently. We are neighbors and our leaders communicate regularly in private, it will take a world cup to make it acceptable for them to communicate openly and in public to solve our differences.

I hope you're right mate

If it turns out to be a catalyst for reconciliation and peace in the region then it would be an inspired move

BIG IF that

Q8-Blue said:

this all sounds very chummy but if i turn up at doha airport tomorrow with an israeli stamp in my passport i'll be told in no uncertain terms to fuck off, held in detention at the airport, put on the next flight out & entered on immigration control's computer so that i would be unlikely ever to be able to visit the country at any future date.

rassclot said:
Q8-Blue said:

this all sounds very chummy but if i turn up at doha airport tomorrow with an israeli stamp in my passport i'll be told in no uncertain terms to fuck off, held in detention at the airport, put on the next flight out & entered on immigration control's computer so that i would be unlikely ever to be able to visit the country at any future date.

except for when the WC is on when you'll be welcomed with a mazel tov and a nice friendly cold friendly beer ;-)
[bigimg]http://micahanderica.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/beerweb.jpg[/bigimg]

now that i think about...screw the wc...good for qatar and fifa...in 2022 we will have been watching the best team in football for 6 years, have a trophey case the size of a double decker bus and my $ will be spent on champs league trips

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.