Qatar Stats - This is Truly Pathetic. What a Joke.

mike o said:
Read my previous posts.

I understand why it won and understand why Russia won. I'm not criticising Qatar or their bid. In fact given the economic climate there probably the only two countries who'll have enough money to put a world cup on in 2018/2022

I'm criticising the previous point that its tough luck for someone who feels scared to enter a country and that they need to man up.

We aren't talking about someone avoiding Italy because of Ultras or avoiding Russia through fear of how iffy its reputation is. We're talking about someone being scared to set foot in a host country due to their ethnicity and due to a fear for their life. And that my friend is fucked up.

If Qatar really can pull it off then fantastic but theres as much diplomatic off the pitch work to be done as their is stadium and infrastructure work

It's going to be that way regardless of who hosts the World Cup.

The United States would make Cubans and Iranians in particular feel uncomfortable. Japan would make Koreans and Chinese uncomfortable. India would rule out Pakistanis. Turkey would rule out Greeks. Israel would rule out Arabs.

Those Israelis have no reason to fear for their lives from the Qatari government. If they fear for their lives, it will be from terrorists or crazies that can strike in any country. I have never heard of a Jew being killed in Qatar because he was a Jew. Do you have some event to suggest why a Jew should "fear for their life" in Qatar in particular?

The advice to Brits (not specifically to israelis and/or jews) is as follows:

•There is an underlying threat from terrorism in Qatar. Attacks, although unlikely, could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. See the Safety and Security - Terrorism section.

•You should maintain a high level of security awareness, particularly in public places. You should avoid large gatherings and demonstrations

NewbBlue said:

The United States would make Cubans and Iranians in particular feel uncomfortable. Japan would make Koreans and Chinese uncomfortable. India would rule out Pakistanis. Turkey would rule out Greeks. Israel would rule out Arabs.

In England we welcome everybody!!
If we had got the World Cup only half of the fans would of gone back home!<br /><br />-- Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:30 am --<br /><br />
Balti said:

•There is an underlying threat from terrorism in Qatar. Attacks, although unlikely, could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. See the Safety and Security - Terrorism section.

•You should maintain a high level of security awareness, particularly in public places. You should avoid large gatherings and demonstrations

http://www.forbes.com/2005/03/25/cz_0325oxan_qatarattack.html
From 2005, although it is 5 years ago but however...
The Doha Players theater was destroyed by a suicide bomb on March 19, which killed one U.K. citizen and injured 15 other people. Lone attackers were responsible for previous anti-Western attacks in Qatar--the 2001 shooting of two contractors and the failed ramming of the gate at the U.S. base at al-Udeid in 2002. The March 19 attack breaks this trend, representing the work of a terrorist network, perhaps a small one, within Qatar.

And on the Aus website
* We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Qatar because of the threat of terrorist attack against Western interests.
* Terrorists have demonstrated the intent and capability to conduct attacks throughout the Arabian Peninsula at places frequented by Westerners, such as commercial and public areas. Further attacks may be planned and could occur in Qatar.
* Statements by international terrorists have called for attacks against Western interests in the Gulf region, including residential compounds, military, oil, transport and aviation interests.
* Medications that are available over the counter or by prescription in Australia may be illegal in Qatar. See Local Laws for details.
* Australia does not have an Embassy or Consulate in Qatar. The Australian Embassy in the United Arab Emirates provides consular assistance to Australians in Qatar.
o Be a smart traveller. Before heading overseas:
o organise comprehensive travel insurance and check what circumstances and activities are not covered by your policy
o register your travel and contact details, so we can contact you in an emergency
o subscribe to this travel advice to receive free email updates each time it's reissued.

mcfcmatt said:
NewbBlue said:

In England we welcome everybody!!
If we had got the World Cup only half of the fans would of gone back home!

-- Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:30 am --

Balti said:

http://www.forbes.com/2005/03/25/cz_0325oxan_qatarattack.html
From 2005, although it is 5 years ago but however...
The Doha Players theater was destroyed by a suicide bomb on March 19, which killed one U.K. citizen and injured 15 other people. Lone attackers were responsible for previous anti-Western attacks in Qatar--the 2001 shooting of two contractors and the failed ramming of the gate at the U.S. base at al-Udeid in 2002. The March 19 attack breaks this trend, representing the work of a terrorist network, perhaps a small one, within Qatar.

And on the Aus website
* We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Qatar because of the threat of terrorist attack against Western interests.
* Terrorists have demonstrated the intent and capability to conduct attacks throughout the Arabian Peninsula at places frequented by Westerners, such as commercial and public areas. Further attacks may be planned and could occur in Qatar.
* Statements by international terrorists have called for attacks against Western interests in the Gulf region, including residential compounds, military, oil, transport and aviation interests.
* Medications that are available over the counter or by prescription in Australia may be illegal in Qatar. See Local Laws for details.
* Australia does not have an Embassy or Consulate in Qatar. The Australian Embassy in the United Arab Emirates provides consular assistance to Australians in Qatar.
o Be a smart traveller. Before heading overseas:
o organise comprehensive travel insurance and check what circumstances and activities are not covered by your policy
o register your travel and contact details, so we can contact you in an emergency
o subscribe to this travel advice to receive free email updates each time it's reissued.

LoL i remember reading the swiss embassy website about my country of kuwait, they say foreigners should excercise extreme caution due to terrorism, that made me lol then and makes me lol now, i have traveled by land to many arab persian gulf nations i didn't threatned nor did the local expat british rugby team in kuwait feel threatened about living in the middle east. Again the only thing you have to fear in qatar is probably teenagers recklessly driving their dodge vipers and ferraris (which might make u feel bad if like me u drive a toyota ;)

Q8-Blue said:
LoL i remember reading the swiss embassy website about my country of kuwait, they say foreigners should excercise extreme caution due to terrorism, that made me lol then and makes me lol now, i have traveled by land to many arab persian gulf nations i didn't threatned nor did the local expat british rugby team in kuwait feel threatened about living in the middle east. Again the only thing you have to fear in qatar is probably teenagers recklessly driving their dodge vipers and ferraris (which might make u feel bad if like me u drive a toyota ;)

Yeh mate but I bet you don't work for Mossad? And Balti is Hamas so we have to be extra vigilant!

Just to make a quick point about this whole Israeli thing. Some are trying to put an ethno-religious spin on a political issue - even comparing it to Nazi Germany in one instance (Bluemoon in Godwin's law shocker!), that many Arab states refuse to recognise Israel until there is a Palestinian state. I'll tell you why this isn't, or shouldn't be, an issue for the World Cup; FIFA already recognises Palestine. As I stated earlier, I hope this proves to be a chance for reconciliation and football has already shown it can lead the way.

NewbBlue said:
rassclot said:
this all sounds very chummy but if i turn up at doha airport tomorrow with an israeli stamp in my passport i'll be told in no uncertain terms to fuck off, held in detention at the airport, put on the next flight out & entered on immigration control's computer so that i would be unlikely ever to be able to visit the country at any future date.

Then don't go.

I don't think Qatar is begging anyone to come. There will be hundreds of thousands who come and buy tickets.

If Israelis don't feel comfortable going, there will be plenty of people waiting to buy those tickets. Their loss, and no one else will care.

you've missed the point entirely. their refusal to allow in israeli passport holders & people of other nationalities with israeli stamps in their passports will remain an inflexible cornerstone of immigration policy up to 2022. then, in the spirit of the all healing world cup, these regulations will be cancelled. as soon as the world cup is over they'll be back in place again. it's the pretence & hypocrisy that gets my arse in all this.

Balti said:

tbf the British government say the following about the UAE:

There is a high threat from terrorism. We believe terrorists may be planning to carry out attacks in the UAE. Attacks could be indiscriminate and could happen at any time, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. You should maintain a high level of security awareness, particularly in public places.

Which is laughable (I hope!).

Qatar will be a great venue for the World Cup; they've got time and plenty of money to get things sorted. Clearly the matter of Israelis being granted temporary admission to the country is laughable but at least they're allowed in. Drinking in Fan Zones and pubs will be fine, so long as you don't go rioting when England get dumped out at the hands of Western Samoa and they're planning to climate control the whole country (in an Environmentally Friendly way) so what's the issue?

Why shouldn't the Middle East host the World Cup? Its been to Europe, North America, South America, Asia and Africa and Qatar is probably the only country in the area, along with the UAE, that is capable of hosting such an event in a relatively short time. Maybe I'm bias because I've lived in Dubai for 20 years but I dont understand the furore. Granted Australia have yet to have it but their time will come :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.