Queen Elizabeth II

We’d be far better if we could write right to left.

As we write, we can’t see the word we are writing, whereas you can when using your right hand.
I'd NEVER thought of that.
I barely write these days - take notes at work but these notes just build up and get forgotten about.
Thank christ for keyboards.

We’d be far better if we could write right to left.

As we write, we can’t see the word we are writing, whereas you can when using your right hand.

Never really thought of the reasons before but that makes sense.

When I was in junior school we used to have some lessons where the chair had a little table fixed to it. On the right obviously. That must have been even more fun for lefties.

When I was in junior school we used to have some lessons where the chair had a little table fixed to it. On the right obviously. That must have been even more fun for lefties.
I think right handed people don’t always appreciate how much the world is crafted around them. It doesn’t bother me, because the maths dictates it that way, and everyone has to adjust to the world around us to some extent, but it’s definitely something you have to deal with as a lefty.

The hardest thing for me wasn’t writing, it was learning to use scissors. By the time my school had sourced and bought left handed scissors, I’d learned to cut with my right.

That and using a fountain pen, as someone has already eluded to. That’s probably the other major reason for our poor handwriting. Our hands can’t rest on the page on wet ink.

When I was at primary school my handwriting was so poor thst my teacher asked my to try writing with my right hand for a couple of days. Once she’d had a look, after half an hour she told me to switch back!
Remember seeing / hearing about “left-handed ruler” and thinking someone was giving me the “long stand / tartan paint” bollocks, but they really are a thing. My lad’s left-handed and showed me how it worked! Scales falling moment!

Remember seeing / hearing about “left-handed ruler” and thinking someone was giving me the “long stand / tartan paint” bollocks, but they really are a thing. My lad’s left-handed and showed me how it worked! Scales falling moment!
I think it’s less pronounced for me because I am right handed at golf (if I played) and cricket, so I am obviously more ambidextrous than many lefties. I am left handed at darts, snooker/pool, bowling and tennis, and right footed.

So basically, I am a fuck up.

The hardest thing for me wasn’t writing, it was learning to use scissors. By the time my school had sourced and bought left handed scissors, I’d learned to cut with my right.

That and using a fountain pen, as someone has already eluded to. That’s probably the other major reason for our poor handwriting. Our hands can’t rest on the page on wet ink.
Not sure I’d classify it as empirical evidence but 80% of the children at my school who have an EHCP are left-handed; of which 65% have a diagnosis for either ASD or ADHD.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.