Queen Elizabeth II

I live in Ramsbottom, which is a relatively traditional area. Tory MP. Went heavy on the jubilee etc. I was expecting there, if anywhere, would feel sombre and show signs of real grieving. Literally nothing has changed. Everyone acting normal. No bunting, no pics of the queen. Shops open. Staff, old and young, wittering away as friendly as ever, acting normal. The country absolutely isn't in mourning. Some are, Im sure, but for the vast majority life is identical. Not spoke to a single person yet who's brought it up in conversation since Thursday. In truth, the press is acting how they feel they're expected to act and projecting that onto the wider public, when in truth they're expressing the feelings of the vast minority.

What did you expect? People to be openly crying? or bunting up in shop windows? Life goes on and obviously lots of people are sad about it.

How do you know people aren’t sad or upset about it based on listening in for a few moments? (Shop staff, old and young) lots of people are sad about a number of things and don’t tend to openly show that in public.

I’ve had a different experience and heard lots of people talking about it. I think your downplaying the effect it’s had, whether small or large because your not that bothered yourself. I think it also works the other way and people are going over the top about how much mourning there is. It’s somewhere in the middle.

Basically people who aren’t bothered are saying no one cares. Likewise the other way round - everyone cares.

Last edited:
Well he never did when he was PM, so every fucking cloud. Thanks for that. We need every chink of light in these difficult times and the aversion to watching our teams, as the guilt we would feel by being disrespectful, unlike our middle class Rugby clubs sorts, who seem to be able to cope. What would we do without them?

Apart from winning wars, building every fucking thing, holding the line during a pandemic, picking up the tab for Etonian pricks 12 years of economic destruction of our economy, but not their bank balances.

In short, we would be ok being respectful, sad a good old bird died, I liked her a lot and I am not a monarchist, I just liked her. I feel more than I ever thought I would. But would she want us moping about? Not watching football? Not looking forward? I don’t think so.

She never struck me as a woman who would want that.
Good post

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.