Queen Elizabeth II

I am no Royalist but the death of Diana was a far bigger deal for me, if only because it was someone so young and lost her life because of a tragic accident.

And far more importantly this country has had wars/ Terrorist attacks which put the passing of a 96 year old lady in prospective, and I say that in no disrespect to the Queen in any way.
I agree that "Biggest event in this country since WW2" is definitely an over-statement. I think a more accurate comment would be the most newsworthy death since the assassination of JFK though. You don't have to be a Monarchist to see that (and I'm probably on the fence with regards to the Monarchy). As far as deaths of famous people go, it really is a huge deal. Not just in this country but worldwide and that will be reflected when we see how many people from other countries will be at her funeral next Monday. I bumped into a mate on Saturday who is a pretty staunch Republican but he respects the job the Queen has done, and said that if the anthem is played as part of a tribute at Wednesday's game then it will be the one occasion where he will join in and sing it. And to give an insight into how people in other countries have reacted, he lived in Germany for a few years and has plenty of friends from over there. He was telling me that on their group chat one of the German lads was really gutted upon hearing the news. I've read that her death had a big impact in France as well. Actually, the more I read the more I begin to think that the Queen was loved more elsewhere than she was here which seems pretty mad. Perhaps part of that could be that she was such a constant throughout the lives of many of us (I don't mean directly in our lives of course - more that she was always in the background) that maybe we've just grown to take her for granted.

Left wing or right wing, somewhere in the middle, honestly the nasty, dismissive stuff I've seen posted by people on social media really has got me wondering if there is any semblance of respect left for human life and loss of life. Were all too busy to care if anyone outside our immediate family dies, too busy to stop and be silent, too wrapped up in our own lives to care at all, if we can't care about Someone in death then we can't really care about them in life and It really makes me sad.
Exactly mate.

I find the idea of going to see anybody "lying in state" outside of immediate family just ghoulish. Who would want to take a day off work to go to London and stand outside Buck House? How does that help anyone?

I get this and I wouldn't do it, again it's probably tradition as it would be the only way to prove the monarch was dead in the past.

That being said she wont have an open coffin and the people paying their respects wont get a glimpse of her.

People this morning getting phone calls cancelling loved ones funerals next Monday , obviously Royal grief outweighs the grief of mere plebs .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.