Question for 'older' City fans

53 and never stopped loving the blues from 14 years old, great days with Bell,Lee and buzzer, many dissapointments and have fell out with City plenty of times, but first love and all that.

Now a new era IMO feel we are so fortunate to have the owners we have, where would we be if no buyer could have been found? After a few years of not going apart from the odd game now going every home game with my daughter.

The future is blue.

CTID

prima

I'm 55 and seen some shite managers at City and I'm afraid Hughes was one of them. I've also witnessed some great football and footballers even though we've ain't won a been. Football has totally changed, not just City. It's about time fans and the media realised that we can't go back to the golden age of Mercer, Shankly, Busby and Revie when football was played without money getting in the way. I've loved the club through thick and thin. Hate United with a passion that I can't explain (thanks Dad) and couldn't comtemplate not having City in my life!

im 44 and been watching City since 1974 and the game and everthing about the game as totally changed since then,but you just get on with it and follow through thick and thin,like when we moved grounds i was so against it and dont mind admitting i shed a tear on the last game at maine rd,but then we moved into coms realised that we just had to move to help to club progress,then you have the players who yes loved playing for the club back then and they were purely just footballers apart from the odd one,but now these guys are celebrities as well as footballers and paid a hell of alot of money,overpaid imo but if i could get it i would.So for me the players are in it for fame and money as well as football,but i stiil go because of the anticipation that we will get there in the end rather than be the laughing stock of football which we have been for so many years.Also i take my 8 yr old lad with me now and i get a buzz out of watching him at the games thinking of how much alike we were at that age

I know what you're saying but I think football has changed, particularly in the Premier League. We still have the likes of SWP & Superman who I think will always have a bond with the club, although I do agree with your comment about Ade.

I don't think the older fans are losing touch with the club, if anything many may be hoping that the younger generation will be able to watch their beloved club win trophies & be a formidable force as we once were. We've been through many years of more downs than ups, having that team from Salford rubbing their successes in our faces but now the time could be ours. My Dad held a season ticket for donkeys years until a change of job meant he couldn't go every week, he's 67 now & wants to get a season ticket so he can enjoy his football again.

I have been a fan(from afar)Birmingham!since 1955,dont feel any more removed now than then,witnessed first hand, lots of changes mostly Swales and Lee eras,because my offspring,well two of them!insisted on carrying the flag.
We were not overjoyed with Hughes appointment and when the money came even less confident,and how anyone could even imagine he would succeed is beyond us.
On a lighter note we joined the elite when we had an Ex Prime Minister as a Chairman!

Viva Mancini.

Started going in '68 with my Dad. My happiest moment came when he said to me " Go on lad, go and join your mates in the Kippax " I was 14 and I have never waivered since. This is our club and people may want to mess around with it but I have never felt more like we are going onto something special, not since those halcyon days of Joe and Mal. We will shed many skins as a club but deep down we will always be special.

terryphelan said:
It's probably a bit silly to aim a question at older City fans on a fan forum, I'm guessing the average age on here seems to be around student age, but my question for any older fans is:

Do you worry that you are losing touch with City a bit? I'm 30 but I've recently had a couple of conversations with some City fans in my dad's generation, 50-60s, who feel exactly the same way. One didn't renew their 20+ years season ticket last season just for this very reason.

It's not a Mancini thing because these conversations were before yesterday, but I guess this just amplifies it.

They didn't feel like there were any true 'City' players left anymore. I'm too young for Lee bell and Summerbee but even my generation there were players who were City through and through, they absolutely loved the club, could speak intelligible English in interviews which helped - you felt more of an affinity with them. If they lost a derby they were truly gutted, almost as gutted as us the fans.

I'm talking about the likes of Paul Lake, David White, Ian Brightwell, Quinny, even Richard Edghill. Even some of the foreign players like Kinky - he still comes to see us play now and again, I can't imagine Adebayor doing the same.

Now with a foreign manager and I'm not going all Nick griffin here by the way, I detest racism, but it just feels like the older fans are somehow losing touch with the club.

I hope this isn't the general consensus, just interested to know your opinions. If you're younger than mid 20's this question/thread isn't really for you, I don't want a backlash please!!

Stephen Ireland and SWP are two players i consider to be city through and through.

EDIT: I'm soon to be 31.

terryphelan said:
It's probably a bit silly to aim a question at older City fans on a fan forum, I'm guessing the average age on here seems to be around student age, but my question for any older fans is:

Do you worry that you are losing touch with City a bit? I'm 30 but I've recently had a couple of conversations with some City fans in my dad's generation, 50-60s, who feel exactly the same way. One didn't renew their 20+ years season ticket last season just for this very reason.

It's not a Mancini thing because these conversations were before yesterday, but I guess this just amplifies it.

They didn't feel like there were any true 'City' players left anymore. I'm too young for Lee bell and Summerbee but even my generation there were players who were City through and through, they absolutely loved the club, could speak intelligible English in interviews which helped - you felt more of an affinity with them. If they lost a derby they were truly gutted, almost as gutted as us the fans.

I'm talking about the likes of Paul Lake, David White, Ian Brightwell, Quinny, even Richard Edghill. Even some of the foreign players like Kinky - he still comes to see us play now and again, I can't imagine Adebayor doing the same.

Now with a foreign manager and I'm not going all Nick griffin here by the way, I detest racism, but it just feels like the older fans are somehow losing touch with the club.

I hope this isn't the general consensus, just interested to know your opinions. If you're younger than mid 20's this question/thread isn't really for you, I don't want a backlash please!!

i feel a dam sight closer than Ive ever felt, if anybody liked to revel in our under achievement, and trips into the lower divisions. all our better players being sold and only being able to attract the the allcocks and Cunningham's of football there welcome to it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.