Question for 'older' City fans

I'm 50 and a season ticket holder and have been for decades. The game is less interesting to me now because the premier league is just a circus of mega-rich superstars with no real loyalty or local connection.

I keep going because of habit, because I can afford it and because the standard of football is good, but I don't fool myself that City have anything to do with Manchester any more than any big club has anything to do with their locality.

Premier league stadiums are full of older fans like me. I don't see any young lads going on their own or with a friend or two on the spur of the moment and paying admission with a few coins from their back pocket. That's what used to happen.

Compared to thirty years ago top matches are dull like a pop concert for a middle of the road act like Coldplay. The real passion has gone.

I am 43 first game 1972/3 great times now to be a City fan. I am still so excited about our owners takeover and was a Hughes inner but I really think we are on the verge of sometimg great.

terryphelan said:
It's probably a bit silly to aim a question at older City fans on a fan forum, I'm guessing the average age on here seems to be around student age, but my question for any older fans is:

Do you worry that you are losing touch with City a bit? I'm 30 but I've recently had a couple of conversations with some City fans in my dad's generation, 50-60s, who feel exactly the same way. One didn't renew their 20+ years season ticket last season just for this very reason.

It's not a Mancini thing because these conversations were before yesterday, but I guess this just amplifies it.

They didn't feel like there were any true 'City' players left anymore. I'm too young for Lee bell and Summerbee but even my generation there were players who were City through and through, they absolutely loved the club, could speak intelligible English in interviews which helped - you felt more of an affinity with them. If they lost a derby they were truly gutted, almost as gutted as us the fans.

I'm talking about the likes of Paul Lake, David White, Ian Brightwell, Quinny, even Richard Edghill. Even some of the foreign players like Kinky - he still comes to see us play now and again, I can't imagine Adebayor doing the same.

Now with a foreign manager and I'm not going all Nick griffin here by the way, I detest racism, but it just feels like the older fans are somehow losing touch with the club.

I hope this isn't the general consensus, just interested to know your opinions. If you're younger than mid 20's this question/thread isn't really for you, I don't want a backlash please!!
With what has gone on in the last 24 hrs the owners of my club have moved the goalposts for our support that's for sure.
This guy wont be here in the summer & he probaly knows it,we will now do what chelski do, if the manager doesn't look like he is going to get us in the champs league in the 1st half of the season he will be gone,but that's the nature of the beast so to speak.
Our owners aren't here to please us they are here to showcase a winning project & they want to put it on the big stage.
They wont have a clue that bringing in mancini & all his staff for 6mths will send ripples through our support & cause a huge upheavel at Carrington......they wont care tbh.
They will in the end get what they want & it's upto the individual if they can stomach how it will be done.
As for the link with the players bit we have a good few players that i can connect with,BUT that may change.
Match going Blue since 67 mate, so no agenda with that lot,it's just the way it is.

I'm 41 but still get butterflys every Saturday. I love to watch all the politics that go with City. The one thing about being a City fan is it's never been boring no matter how old you are.

I am 48 and I dont feel this way but I do on one particular aspect.

I cant get into the mindset of any supporter who would take Top 4 over a trophy.

Football is about Glory and memories for me, not finishing third or fourth.

LateBlue said:
I'm 41 but still get butterflys every Saturday. I love to watch all the politics that go with City. The one thing about being a City fan is it's never been boring no matter how old you are.
Agreed & welcome to Bluemoon.
I don't think we've got off the 1st page yet,the next 5yrs will be something even those of us that have seen us win trophys will be gobsmacked by.

ifiwasarichfan said:
I am 48 and I dont feel this way but I do on one particular aspect.

I cant get into the mindset of any supporter who would take Top 4 over a trophy.

Football is about Glory and memories for me, not finishing third or fourth.
Europe is seen as the ultimate showcase for the project to our owners,but i want a trophy.

i,m 56 i have supported city since 66 i class myself very lucky that the first 5 years i saw them win almost everything, i want my kids and gdkids to have and see the same,i think every city fan has the right to his opinion right or wrong, but i honestly think we should all get behind the team has i think we are on the verge of something big, but yea city are in my blood i have had fights and arguments over city in the last couple of years, you dont support a team for 43 years without it being totally in your system, i wake up the first thing i think about is city, about what has happened over the past few days it,s move on and get on with it but the media and the f a are looked upon by me with total disgust, the more things go wrong the more fanatical i become it,s like a form of sadism, nobody other than another city fan can call city to me, city are my life, i don,t get the same tingle when i go to the games now but my mind is more on city than what it has ever been, i really hope we beat them trafford boys and you all get a trip to wembley because you all deserve it, the support you all give city is fantastic but when we do win a trophy it will feel like the best leg over you have ever had?

I would class myself as an "older" fan.

Throughout all the years following City, I've seen the lowest lows and the highest highs... during the bleak late 80's my support never wavered.

I can only ever think of a couple of times when I felt I had had enough... Pearce's final season, when for the only time ever I seriously thought of packing it in... and Hughes.

Never took to the bloke for a variety of reasons, and I have to admit that I've been on a high these last 24 hours as I believe we are now set for take-off, having barely scraped along the ground this past 18months.

I am buzzing again. More enthusiastic than I've been for some time, and I think the old days of away games may be back on the agenda!

Age has nothing to do with passion. Trust me!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.