R.I.P to the 23 lost in Munich

One cold and bitter Thursday in Munich, Germany,
Eight great football stalwarts conceded victory,
Eight men will never play again who met destruction there,
The flowers of English football, the flowers of Manchester

Matt Busby’s boys were flying, returning from Belgrade,
This great United family, all masters of their trade,
The pilot of the aircraft, the skipper Captain Thain,
Three times they tried to take off and twice turned back again.

The third time down the runaway disaster followed close,
There was slush upon that runaway and the aircraft never rose,
It ploughed into the marshy ground, it broke, it overturned.
And eight of the team were killed as the blazing wreckage burned.

Roger Byrne and Tommy Taylor who were capped for England’s side.
And Ireland’s Billy Whelan and England’s Geoff Bent died,
Mark Jones and Eddie Colman, and David Pegg also,
They all lost their lives as it ploughed on through the snow.

Big Duncan he went too, with an injury to his brain,
And Ireland’s brave Jack Blanchflower will never play again,
The great Matt Busby lay there, the father of his team
Three long months passed by before he saw his team again.

The trainer, coach and secretary, and a member of the crew,
Also eight sporting journalists who with United flew,
and one of them Big Swifty, who we will ne’er forget,
the finest English ‘keeper that ever graced the net.

Oh, England’s finest football team its record truly great,
its proud successes mocked by a cruel turn of fate.
Eight men will never play again, who met destruction there,
the flowers of English football, the flowers of Mancheste

Less than 30 years ago, 56 people died in a fire at Bradford. If we are having a minute's silence for a football related tragedy, it should be that one.
56 people, just like some of the people on here. Match going fans.

R.I P. to the 56.

Sergio Aguero
Carlos Tevez
Joe Hart
Vincent Kompany
Yaya Toure
Pablo Zabaleta
David Silva
James Milner

Imagine they died tomorrow.

Imagine it. How would you feel? Imagine how Manchester, as a city would feel.

In 1958, club rivalry as we know it didn't really exist. A lot of people watched United one week, and City the next. They wanted football, not a rivalry. The ordinary people of Manchester admired great footballers, and they watched both City and Utd. We, as a city, were graced with some fantastic footballers on both teams, as we are now. Manchester was on the cusp on a great football revolution. City were FA Cup runners up in 1955, then we won the FA Cup in 1956. the Busy Babes were the reaction to that, a rising contender to Man City.

On February 6th 1958, Manchester wasn't 'united' in grief, the city was just in grief as a whole. Nothing to do with bring together the two teams. At the time, there wasn't the rivalry we know today, it was a love of the game. Just watch this:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-sad-return" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-sad-return</a>
100,000 Mancunians lined the route from Ringway to Old Trafford. You can bet no-one counted themselves as "red" or "blue", they were just football fans.

Just remember, 23 people died. 8 of whom were great footballers who people all over the country admired. Forget how the Football League or Manchester United reacted afterwards. Just remember 23 people died. 8 of whom were doing their job. Their job was to play football and please people.

They pleased and entertained that many people that 100,000 people lined the route to bring them back home to the city of Manchester that hosted their talents.

For the 23.
<a class="postlink" href="http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com/originals/61/06/35/61063540a2a61ff461454d552ec41b57.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com/or ... c41b57.jpg</a>

CheethamHillBlue said:
Less than 30 years ago, 56 people died in a fire at Bradford. If we are having a minute's silence for a football related tragedy, it should be that one.

R.I P. to the 56.

Don't you worry. I pay my respects to the Bradford fans. We respect them as much as the Munich 23.

We also pay tribute each week to the 56 fans who died. We go stadiums full of stewards, ground safety officers and fire stewards. they exist because of the 56.

piffy on a rock bun said:
Matt Busby was on his way back to Scotland until city convinced him to stay in Manchester,
Matt Busby was also a true gentleman unlike that gobshite thats in charge of the rags now.

This.

Matt Busby was one of City's greatest ever players, and always had a soft spot for City.

Slur Alex hates us.

Dennis Viollet was my games teacher at school btw.

scall said:
CheethamHillBlue said:

R.I P. to the 56.

Don't you worry. I pay my respects to the Bradford fans. We respect them as much as the Munich 23.

We also pay tribute each week to the 56 fans who died. We go stadiums full of stewards, ground safety officers and fire stewards. they exist because of the 56.
Not to mention he 2 Lincoln City fans who sadly lost their lives in the accident.

Because its the anniversary respects are more likely to be paid, doesnt mean to say we forget about any other tragic disaster (in reference to the top comment)

CheethamHillBlue said:

R.I P. to the 56.
It might help if you post this on the 11th of May i'm sure it will be well respected just like the death of 23 human beings on the 6th of February 58 should be football rivalry is one thing people losing their lives is another. R.I.P. to the 23.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.