Carlos Tevez
Joe Hart
Vincent Kompany
Yaya Toure
Pablo Zabaleta
David Silva
James Milner

Imagine they died tomorrow.

Imagine it. How would you feel? Imagine how Manchester, as a city would feel.

Ok.

Now imagine it's 2068, imagine you were born in 2032, imagine you're a United fan. How would you feel about the fact that Pablo Zabaleta died in a plane crash in 2013? I'd wager it wouldn't really register with you, that you wouldn't really have any feelings one way or the other about it. That's the scenario many City fans (myself included) today find themselves in. It's over half a century since the crash, a crash which occured pretty much 2 decades before I was born, to a team I don't support, to players I don't remember, can't name, don't know what they look like. I fail to see why this crash should have any relevance to me. I don't disrespect those who died, I don't chant about it, I don't ruin minutes silences, but I also don't really care all that much about the whole thing. Maybe that doesn't sit well with some, so be it, I can't, and won't, force fake emotion.

Matty said:
scall said:
Sergio Aguero
Carlos Tevez
Joe Hart
Vincent Kompany
Yaya Toure
Pablo Zabaleta
David Silva
James Milner

Ok.

Now imagine it's 2068, imagine you were born in 2032, imagine you're a United fan. How would you feel about the fact that Pablo Zabaleta died in a plane crash in 2013? I'd wager it wouldn't really register with you, that you wouldn't really have any feelings one way or the other about it. That's the scenario many City fans (myself included) today find themselves in. It's over half a century since the crash, a crash which occured pretty much 2 decades before I was born, to a team I don't support, to players I don't remember, can't name, don't know what they look like. I fail to see why this crash should have any relevance to me. I don't disrespect those who died, I don't chant about it, I don't ruin minutes silences, but I also don't really care all that much about the whole thing. Maybe that doesn't sit well with some, so be it, I can't, and won't, force fake emotion.

does that mean we can use the M word again now?

mancityvstoke said:
Matty said:
scall said:
Sergio Aguero
Carlos Tevez
Joe Hart
Vincent Kompany
Yaya Toure
Pablo Zabaleta
David Silva
James Milner

Ok.

does that mean we can use the M word again now?

No, because that would fall under the "....I don't disrespect those who died, I don't chant about it..." part of what I wrote.

There's quite clearly a difference between not really caring about the whole thing, and actively using it as a way of antagonising, attacking and pissing off United fans.

Matty said:
scall said:
Sergio Aguero
Carlos Tevez
Joe Hart
Vincent Kompany
Yaya Toure
Pablo Zabaleta
David Silva
James Milner

Ok.

A-fucking-men.

Blue Mist said:
spam1967 said:
rip to all that perished in the crash.

plus a special mention the the 146 that perished (most of them from manchester.) in tenerife Dan-Air Flight 1008 in 1980.

one chap from fallowfield lost 3 daughters.

And that is my objection to the continued hand wringing and crocodile tears over Munich. There have sadly been many tragic incidents where lives have been lost which never get a mention, the rags had a so called Charity match for the victims families (remember the one, c*ntona charged them a huge amount to appear) 40+ years after the event, not that they were milking it or anything and yet the families of the Tenerife disaster were left/made to get on with it. The Bradford fire took the lives of many football fans but you wont see one article about that in the main stream news.
It is time to move on from Munich or we will be celebrating the 250th anniversary and people will still be stood outside the swamp with hankies to their wallets, sorry eyes.

(remember the one, c*ntona charged them a huge amount to appear)
===========================
No he didn't charge 'them'....
He took £90k expenses (appearance money) from the FUNDS raised. The families got little over £40k...

And MUFC advertised the game as 'THE KINGS RETURN'

And some rags want him to be their manager after ferguson! Cuntona is right description!

levets said:
Blue Mist said:
spam1967 said:
rip to all that perished in the crash.

plus a special mention the the 146 that perished (most of them from manchester.) in tenerife Dan-Air Flight 1008 in 1980.

one chap from fallowfield lost 3 daughters.

And that is my objection to the continued hand wringing and crocodile tears over Munich. There have sadly been many tragic incidents where lives have been lost which never get a mention, the rags had a so called Charity match for the victims families (remember the one, c*ntona charged them a huge amount to appear) 40+ years after the event, not that they were milking it or anything and yet the families of the Tenerife disaster were left/made to get on with it. The Bradford fire took the lives of many football fans but you wont see one article about that in the main stream news.
It is time to move on from Munich or we will be celebrating the 250th anniversary and people will still be stood outside the swamp with hankies to their wallets, sorry eyes.

(remember the one, c*ntona charged them a huge amount to appear)
===========================
No he didn't charge 'them'....
He took £90k expenses (appearance money) from the FUNDS raised. The families got little over £40k...

And MUFC advertised the game as 'THE KINGS RETURN'

And some rags want him to be their manager after ferguson! **** is right description!

I think Cantona gets a bit of an unfair press on here about that - from what I can remember, the £90,000 covered the costs in getting the players that made up his Rest of The World XI over to Old Trafford for the match - I'm not sure he himself benefitted financially. For me, the question should be asked of United as to why they allowed the 90k to be deducted from the fund-raising pot rather than paying it out of club funds as a goodwill gesture. It's not like they were skint at the time.

You're spot on that the match seem to be billed more as the return of Cantona rather than a Munich memorial match. A little bizarre in a way but bigging him up probably helped ensure a full house as going back to Matty's point, younger United fans, while aware of Munich, probably had more affinity with Cantona as he had only left the club a year or so earlier.

So Cantona got bad press ? I jst put a few details into the old computer and found the below extract.....
But it emerged that after last August's match, organisers received a bill revealing Cantona and his side had brought up to SEVENTY family and friends with them and booked in at the four-star 132 room De Vere hotel

Did the players really need 70 family and friends ? did they really need to go 4 star? may be they did but not at the expense of a charity.

Blue Mist said:
So Cantona got bad press ? I jst put a few details into the old computer and found the below extract.....
But it emerged that after last August's match, organisers received a bill revealing Cantona and his side had brought up to SEVENTY family and friends with them and booked in at the four-star 132 room De Vere hotel

Did the players really need 70 family and friends ? did they really need to go 4 star? may be they did but not at the expense of a charity.

Good spot mate - I wasn't aware of that. I agree that it's wrong to claim those expenses back.

Blue Mist said:

Spot on.

I have always thought the Mancs have milked the Munich disaster but kept the thoughts to myself, at least now I can see people sharing the same view.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.