Racism in Football

Racist? Us? “We even employ some Asian people at the Spanish FA”

Only one way they’ll be motivated to try and do anything about it and that’s if high profile black players make it known they’re not interested in playing there.

I’m Jewish and I hate it but there’s no point arguing with Spurs fans because they think it’s their G-d given right to call themselves that. Even if they’re not Jewish.

Also I’ve been drunk off my tits plenty of times and managed to not be racist, that guy has no excuse.
Spurs fans calling themselves Y***s is the same psychology as black people calling themselves n****s. They think it lessens the impact of the word elsewhere but I’m not so sure. See also gay people calling themselves queer.
Overall, best not done at all.

Only one way they’ll be motivated to try and do anything about it and that’s if high profile black players make it known they’re not interested in playing there.
Teabag supports a political party that advocates expelling Muslims. He’s a bad joke.

Spurs fans calling themselves Y***s is the same psychology as black people calling themselves n****s. They think it lessens the impact of the word elsewhere but I’m not so sure. See also gay people calling themselves queer.
Overall, best not done at all.
Gentile Spurs fans calling themselves a slur aimed at JEWISH people isn’t the same thing as black people using the n word. Supporting Spurs doesn’t make you a Jew.

Gentile Spurs fans calling themselves a slur aimed at JEWISH people isn’t the same thing as black people using the n word. Supporting Spurs doesn’t make you a Jew.
Well yes, but those fans are not claiming to be Jews, they say they are merely supporting the idea that calling themselves Y***s robs the word of its power.
I said it employed the same psychology, not that it was the same.

If only there was a fit for purpose European group , who could ban the Spanish clubs from competing in European competitions, until they showed substantial and ongoing progress in dealing with racism…

As it’s not going to happen from within.

What has happened in Spain lately is awful, the same happens in Italy as well. For some reason it’s built into their cultures and goes deeper than football unfortunately. Like others have said if a very high profile black footballer refused to move there or asks to leave because of it the football authorities may do something about it, but it would only be paying lip service to a more deep rooted societal problem. We have a similar problem here as well, being of Italian heritage there are some posts that stereotype Italians on this forum and if I was less pragmatic I would raise concerns, what I am trying to say is that society still has a long way to go, both here and abroad on this topic. It’s the 21st century and it’s amazing that we still have to have these discussions on race and religion!

Not racism, but interesting how certain clubs in certain countries are able to deal with unsavoury incidents quickly.

AZ Alkmaar issue 43 stadium bans after West Ham fans attacked

Valencia are talking a good game. Let's see if they follow through (I know working out who did a racist chant can be a bit more difficult).

On the wider point of people blaming Vinicius Jr for this, and point out that other black players don't get the same treatment (not anyone on this forum), that's how it always is. Jack Grealish gets booed up and down the country, but when Sterling got the same treatment, it was always accompanied by a thinly-veiled (and sometimes not at all veiled) undercurrent of racism. When a white player misses a penalty that knocks their team out, they get a bit of stick (anyone remember any widespread abuse of Carragher for the penalty miss that knocked England out in 2006?). When a black player does it, they get racial abuse and threats to their family. And every black person knew it was coming, because that's the point of racism. When you're winning, doing well or merely 'behaving', you're treated as an individual. As soon as you do something bad (which might not be bad if someone of a different race did it), you become a representative of your race. Racists don't target every black player, but they are quicker to target black players than they would be white players who did similar things, and then will make race a part of it when they do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.