Racism in Football

On this particular case, it is clear for anyone that understands the idiosyncrasy of Argentinian football chants, that the players aren't trying to be racists. If anything, it's a song related more to colonialism than racism. Either way, the song is ignorant and still has transphobe lyrics (which, again, I doubt any of the players singing it pays any attention to it).

I'm not trying to excuse the players, just giving you context. You can't judge the actions of a group of people based on your own set of principles.
Well if they aren't trying they're doing a fucking good job of being racist. The song wasn't aimed at you so you have absolutely no right to say that it is or isn't racist. The fact is that many of his French teammates found the song to be racist and it is absolutely their prerogative to deem it as such.

The lyrics to the song imply that because the French players are of African descent they can't be classed as French, despite being born in France and having French passports, and questions the legitimacy of their World Cup win.
If you can't see how that comes across as racist then you are part of the problem

Trust the Argentine to be an apologist for his compatriots' wrongdoing

Last edited:
I see both perspectives, and you are right in that it works both ways, didn't Mahrez train at Clarefontaine and grow up in Paris but represented Algeria internationally?
Yep. 200 of the 630 players registered to play in the Africa Cup of Nations weren't born in Africa, and of those, France was the most common country of birth with a whopping 104. So basically 1 in 6 of the players from their entire continent's top competition was born in France, yet they're accused of 'stealing' African players. Morocco only had nine players actually born in Morocco, and it was a similar story in the last World Cup, but nobody was claiming that Morocco only got to the semi-finals because of European players.

Fuck me what a horrendous take

You think it’s more likely the players were deliberately filming themselves singing it to appeal to the Argentine fans to get their support? Because that’s the theory I replied to after already making clear I thought it was racist and they’ll all get deserved bans.

But yeah, I still think it’s more likely they’ve just normalised the song and don’t think about its meaning than that this was part of a deliberate scheme to win over their racist fans.

If you think the ultra conspiracy is a better take, I guess that’s your right.

Last edited:
Lol, I'm guessing she's had too many beers also.

I love how you’ve completely reduced what I said to the the fleeting mention that alcohol was involved, which was a minuscule part of my post and very obviously not the argument I was making.

Completely dishonest, but then again, I need to remind myself I’m replying to someone who thinks it’s part of a conspiracy to win their fans support (despite winning 4 tournaments in a row).

It's also a bit pathetic when someone is suddenly claimed by the country of their ancestors because they happen to be good at something. Like all of Japan suddenly claiming Kazuo Ishiguro when he got the Nobel Prize for Literature, or Naomi Osaka when she won the US Open, when plenty of them wouldn't give the time of day to a "hafu' normally.

Just reminded me of that classic Lucy Liu scene from Kill Bill where she decapitated the Yakuza for disrespecting her heritage that paragraph!

Toni Kroos has continued his mask slipping fall from grace by promoting domestic abuser Alex Zverev to be Germany’s flag carrier at the olympics less than a week after telling German TV he was scared for his daughter to walk around in Germany because of all the immigrants.

I love how you’ve completely reduced what I said to the the fleeting mention that alcohol was involved, which was a minuscule part of my post and very obviously not the argument I was making.

Completely dishonest, but then again, I need to remind myself I’m replying to someone who thinks it’s part of a conspiracy to win their fans support (despite winning 4 tournaments in a row).
I was talking about the players that played for clubs with a strong fan base of fascist ultras.

Besides fans or not, I think the VP stance on this matter shows you all you need to know. @Crooked_rain @better dead than red and my posts pointed at Argentina having a history of racism but in all your wisdom, you brushed it aside and chalked it down as the players having a "jolly, drunk moment", you know, just "boys being boys".

Well if they aren't trying they're doing a fucking good job of being racist. The song wasn't aimed at you so you have absolutely no right to say that it is or isn't racist. The fact is that many of his French teammates found the song to be racist and it is absolutely their prerogative to deem it as such.

The lyrics to the song imply that because the French players are of African descent they can't be classed as French, despite being born in France and having French passports, and questions the legitimacy of their World Cup win.
If you can't see how that comes across as racist then you are part of the problem

Trust the Argentine to be an apologist for his compatriots' wrongdoing

The song is racist, it’s not even a point of opinion, it’s just flat out clear as day racism.

in all your wisdom, you brushed it aside as the players having a "jolly, drunk moment", you know, just "boys being boys".

Yeah like I said, completely intellectually dishonest and now you’ve upgraded it to an outright lie.

I didn’t write it off as boys being boys, I put up a different theory as to why otherwise not racist people might find themselves singing a racist song and then post it publicly.

You think they posted it to win over the fans who they already have the full and unconditional support of after an unprecedented few years of success, I think it’s more likely because the songs has become normalised to them to the point where they didn’t see anything wrong with singing it publicly.

You’ve also obviously decided that me saying “they’re probably not racist or trying to win over racists, they just got carried away singing a song they’ve heard nonstop for 2 years without thinking what it’s really saying lyrically” to be a full endorsement of them singing it, despite my making it completely clear I thought it abhorrent and they all deserved bans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.