Raheem Sterling - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that. Had he had a shocker there would have been an extra 10 pages of the usual suspects chatting bollocks.

He had a good performance...first one for quite some time, at home to a side who scraped past relegation last season...perhaps it would be sensible to reserve full judgement until he has done it 8/9/10 times this season (i.e. consistently) against better teams....one swallow does not make a summer etc etc etc.
In addition, people are entitled to their opinion and to imply, as your post does, that those who disagree with you are the "usual suspects chatting bollocks", reeks of an unpleasant arrogance.

Credit where it is due, I have been vocal in my criticism of the lad, he performed exceptionally well after a torrid summer. Hopefully he can continue this improvement.

He had a good performance...first one for quite some time, at home to a side who scraped past relegation last season...perhaps it would be sensible to reserve full judgement until he has done it 8/9/10 times this season (i.e. consistently) against better teams....one swallow does not make a summer etc etc etc.
In addition, people are entitled to their opinion and to imply, as your post does, that those who disagree with you are the "usual suspects chatting bollocks", reeks of an unpleasant arrogance.
No, it's fair to give him plaudits for a game in which he performed very well. Not sit back and wait for his first poor touch and jump all over him. I stand by my post because even now a few days later there's an absence of comments from some of his biggest detractors last season.
I'm sorry if you think that reeks of unpleasant arrogance but it is what it is. Even with your post you had to add caveats to his very good game. That's more telling than anything I wrote.

Put simply, there are people far more willing to criticise than they are to praise. That's the "chatting bollocks" I refer to, not their opinion of him as a footballer.

Last edited:
Good to see him 1- play on the right and 2- being given a licence to run at people instead of run, stop, pull back. It didn't always come off but he looked ten times better in this role and should get better and better. Pep's definitely given him a bit of confidence already, great to see.
Been saying for ages, lets have a look at him on the right, on his stronger foot.

some on here were saying oh but he prefers the left....well he might do, but young unconfident wide players,under presssure from the media and every set of opposing fans might not be the best person to ask where they want to play.It was obvious ,to me, that playing on his weaker side only sought to exacerbate his predicament.

Lots more room for improvement yet,first season drama under his belt and out of the way,lets hope the real raheem sterling can now take over,..for his pace,trickery,low centre of gravity and battling qualities are a real benefit to our squad.

Having been critical last season, I'm very happy to have seen that performance by Stirling. Seeing him out wide and taking on his full back is exactly what he should have been asked to do last season, but, he just looked lost for 80% of the season.
Whilst the team is obviously a work still in progress, it's all an improvement imho - and especially so with Stirling - a goal or 2 soon and he'll be flying.
The lads name is Sterling.

Been saying for ages, lets have a look at him on the right, on his stronger foot.

some on here were saying oh but he prefers the left....well he might do, but young unconfident wide players,under presssure from the media and every set of opposing fans might not be the best person to ask where they want to play.It was obvious ,to me, that playing on his weaker side only sought to exacerbate his predicament.

Lots more room for improvement yet,first season drama under his belt and out of the way,lets hope the real raheem sterling can now take over,..for his pace,trickery,low centre of gravity and battling qualities are a real benefit to our squad.

He's too easy to defend against when he's on the left. Opposing teams double up on him knowing that 80% of the time he's gonna bring the ball back on to his right foot. The only way it's can work on the left if he's given the space to run at the full back one on one, which to be fair happened more times in one half on Saturday than it did the whole of last season combined. I'd start him on the right for a while to give him licence to run at defenders but he can move over to the left at any time if the team is doing the right things around him.

He's too easy to defend against when he's on the left. Opposing teams double up on him knowing that 80% of the time he's gonna bring the ball back on to his right foot. The only way it's can work on the left if he's given the space to run at the full back one on one, which to be fair happened more times in one half on Saturday than it did the whole of last season combined. I'd start him on the right for a while to give him licence to run at defenders but he can move over to the left at any time if the team is doing the right things around him.
One of the commentators picked up that Raheem and Sergio were swapping positions every now and then...

And the most important thing for me was that he started on the right, which gave him confidence,then when asked to switch to his weaker side the confidence just carried on. the hesitantancy of last season was gone, the tendancy to recv the ball on his weaker foot and have to think about what he ws going to do next( a common feature of a player playing on his weaker side) only amounted to a few seconds, but in football at this level it can make all the difference.
In my book, all professional footballers should be two footed, thru extra training and professional pride, but it just doesn,t happen that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.