Raheem Sterling - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Sterling has missed some sitters. And yes, he should put away a few more of those.
Just a few questions,

1, Has he improved on his finishing?
2, Does he work hard on his finishing?
3, Does he get into enough positions, that create opportunities to score?

To me the answer to these three questions is undoubtably Yes. And to those who think he has no positional aptitude, you don’t get into the areas he does, without being extremely aware of what’s occurring around you!
Yes he may suffer from some kind of brain freeze in front of goal. But he’s the only one in the whole squad, who is consistently arriving for a clear opportunity on goal. Sterling is already on 19 goals this season, with still a possible 21 games to go!
The lad is 23, still learning his trade, give him a break and get behind him.

He’s top of the league......
Nice post. Completely agree.

As an individual - none.
He needs other team members as all scorers do to enable him/them to score

If he hasn't earned us points as an individual then he's never lost, and is never going to lose us points as an individual either.

yawn.

What I have said is true is it not.

And, if you could be arsed to read my posts on Sterling this year I admitted he had won me round. Yesterday he was awful and I commented on that - that is allowed isn't it?
you said as an individual his late goals haven't won us any points,he was the one who scored so he deserves the praise for getting us the points
yawn indeed

you said as an individual his late goals haven't won us any points,he was the one who scored so he deserves the praise for getting us the points
yawn indeed

so, if there were no one feeding him the passes he would score?

My point is it is a team game and no one player can do it on his own. This is not picking on Sterling in any way, but if you think it is, your issue, not mine

That’s the thing though, there have been players playing in the front three in teams playing as well as we’ve been playing this season who’ve scored 50+ goals a season every season for years.

Sterling has the opportunities to be scoring fucking shit loads more than he is and should. He said it himself, “I know it takes me three chances to score and that’s not good enough, I need to be taking two or three of the three that come my way” in that interview with Neville.

He can see it and is open to say it, a lot of fans can see it, Pep has been seeing it and it came to a head yesterday.

A proper elite player getting the opportunities Sterling does would have banged in 30 goals this season. So while 20 is good and is a huge improvement, what’s been laid on a plate for him by our fantastic team and the coaching that’s seen him improve, he’s actually done worse than he should. In the last few weeks his finishing and close control have been pretty awful.

I like him, I want him to do well, but I’m not seeing someone who is going to be a long term mainstay of a Pep team who’ll be going for four trophies every season. We will sign that Sanchez or Mahrez or whoever else we’ll go for next window and it’s becuase Sterling isn’t elite.

Ah so Raz should be scoring shit loads more goals, like the proper elite.

Elite, would that be players like Messi, Suarez, Ronaldo and Bale? All players who have worse conversion rates (in the league) than Raz this season.

Or how about we look at the current top ten goal scorers in the Premier League this season where only Jamie Vardy and Shrek (!) have a better conversion rate than Raz?

Mahrez is not converting as many shots as Raz this season; nor is Hazard. (Sanchez I couldn't check due to change of club).

Sane, Jesus and Sergio are all behind Raz on conversion rate; although the spread across them is not wide, so we have four players doing well on conversions.

At just 23, I think Raz is doing quite nicely and if he can improve his average conversion rate in the coming years, he'll be getting shed loads more goals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.