Raheem Sterling | Arsenal Player (on loan)

We did okay.

You just know though that if we were signing Bayern Paris or Madrid’s (the top teams in each league) top scorer over the last six years who was 27 years’ old, we’d be looking at over £100m… maybe £90m as he was in the last year of his contract.

It’s like the Bernardo Silva fee banded about. He’s the second best player at the best team in Europe, who’s 28 with three years left on his contract; and City put a £80m price tag on him. That’s too low, other clubs would have him as over £100m easily.

All the way back to selling de Jong for £4m right after he was Netherlands’ best player at the Euros, we have a record of getting modest transfer fees in.

Tell you where we did brilliantly, though: Ferran Torres for £50m. That must have been over double what he was really worth.

I think with Bernardo his personal circumstances have come into that set fee. He’s obviously not 100% happy here but if we set the fee too high it will make him more unhappy and we’re left with a supposed £100m valued footballer who isn’t happy.

Who could buy Sterling for £100m and secondly who would? There’s a reason he’s gone to Chelsea for £55m. Mane is a much better player and went to Bayern for less.

If Chelsea weren’t interested then Sterling would have gone for nothing next year as no one would have bought him.

As the tread says i do wish Sterling good luck, thought his excuse for leaving in his interview a little contrived , always thought him an arsenal fan, but now he is gone i thank you for your time here and could you do us a favour, get a long contract on double the money.

Long before Raheem signed for us, I worked with a guy who had encountered him a fair bit during his early development. He would often talk about Raheem as, not the only, but a prime example of why he had fallen out of love with youth development. His rationale seemed to be that he and more so his mum were so driven and the focus was so exclusively on what was right for Raheem that it made her/him more difficult to deal with. Obviously I have no idea the degree to which this was accurate, but given his early life and some of the shit he's put up over his career it doesn't take a big leap of the imagination for his prevailing outlook to be a bit 'circle the wagons' and 'it's us against the world'.
From the outside, his comments strike me as having no obvious substance, to be ill thought through and a bit classless . But at the end of the day he is a professional athlete who had no pre-existing affinity with us and who is focused solely on his own needs. So I can't get particularly bothered or annoyed about him but what it does make me realise is how special those players that do develop a true bond and affinity with the club really are.
On the one hand, it’s a team sport and that single-mindedness isn’t good for a harmonious team ethic.

On the other hand, him and his mum spent a long time absolutely skint, living in a rough arse London council estate dreaming to get out. I don’t blame him/them for wanting to make the most of the opportunity for themselves really.

But him disrespecting the fans, that I can’t and won’t accept. It’s inexcusable.

On the one hand, it’s a team sport and that single-mindedness isn’t good for a harmonious team ethic.

On the other hand, him and his mum spent a long time absolutely skint, living in a rough arse London council estate dreaming to get out. I don’t blame him/them for wanting to make the most of the opportunity for themselves really.

But him disrespecting the fans, that I can’t and won’t accept. It’s inexcusable.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that, just personally I can't get that worked up about him. Generally I enjoyed his time playing at City but at this point he's no huge loss to us and it would appear we're likewise for him. I suppose there's always the chance his recent comments are emotionally driven because he desperately wanted to stay but I assume had that really been important to him he had ample opportunity to make it happen.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that, just personally I can't get that worked up about him. Generally I enjoyed his time playing at City but at this point he's no huge loss to us and it would appear we're likewise for him. I suppose there's always the chance his recent comments are emotionally driven because he desperately wanted to stay but I assume had that really been important to him he had ample opportunity to make it happen.
Likewise, we’re broadly on the same page mate.

He had two years to sort his shit out at city but it just wasn’t happening. He hit his ceiling and I just don’t see him getting anywhere near his 2017-19 levels ever again.

The guy should be grateful, not bitter.

He had an eventful day for Chelsea today.

Scored his first goal (which took a massive deflection), then missed a 1-on-1 that he should have buried, then scored a typical Sterling tap-in where his movement did the work for him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.