Raheem Sterling | Arsenal Player (on loan)

I’ve accepted that all I’m ever gonna get from Sterling at Chelsea is the occasional purple patch for a couple of games and then long stretches of average to poor games. Big flop.

I have always thought there was a big difference between pre and post lyon miss Sterling. Pre lyon miss Sterling was brilliant. But after that he opened the door and Foden displaced him in the starting 11.

Even when we played you in the CL final and Pep showed the ultimate faith in him by shelfing our system by taking off Rodri/ Fernandinho for Sterling in the big game.. he never raised his game.

We did get the purple patch as well where his cross to Gundo vs Villa started the epic turnaround in the 22 finale but honestly with his tendency running into goal posts and knock himself out.. that might have contributed to Pep losing all his hair and deciding to move him on!

I have always thought there was a big difference between pre and post lyon miss Sterling. Pre lyon miss Sterling was brilliant. But after that he opened the door and Foden displaced him in the starting 11.

Even when we played you in the CL final and Pep showed the ultimate faith in him by shelfing our system by taking off Rodri/ Fernandinho for Sterling in the big game.. he never raised his game.

We did get the purple patch as well where his cross to Gundo vs Villa started the epic turnaround in the 22 finale but honestly with his tendency running into goal posts and knock himself out.. that might have contributed to Pep losing all his hair and deciding to move him on!
That cross for Gündoğan's first goal was the only real quality we’d seen from Raheem in quite a while.

Looking back now, it’s clear that his star had started to wane well before that game.

When you say Raheem Sterling "never raised his game" in the Champions league final against Chelsea....

You do realise that Sterling was played on his weaker left side,by Pep...
And was marshalled superbly by Reece James..in my opinion the best Right Back in the World...when fit..
To understand Football you have to take into consideration being asked to play on the left in the biggest game of his life,by a manager who ..had his reasons to do so.

If you watch the footage of that champions league match,early doors Sterling does as much as he possibly can to get round James,but James followed him adroitly,every twist and turn ,and put in strong clean, tackles... every time ..,even in the 6 yard box when sterling drifted in on his stronger right foot .James was there to block,at risk of giving away a penalty. It was,in my opinion...A fascinating battle between two Great players,but Sterling was hampered ...by having to attack from the left...not his natural ,instinctive game. He still ran at James at full pelt multiple times going inside and out to the dead ball line but James had the pace dexterity and the perfectly timed robust challenge. Every time.

When Pep first came to City,Sterling had been in a wretched run of form with fans on his back under Manuel...playing on the left
Pep turned up, and in a pre season friendly ,away ,put Sterling on the right...
The players relief was instantly tangible..He could now express himself and attack on his stronger side,he played well in that match and carried his good form on into The season..scoring a lot of goals for City,important goals ..

Sterling did his absolute best for City v Chelsea champions league final ,he just had a very very good player marking him. That happens...at the highest level of football.

Just as an aside...think back to the European cup between Forest and Hamburg...the media asked Clough before the game about the danger of Manny Kaltz..arguably the best Right Back in the World at the time...
Clough said something like we have a young man by the name of John Robertson......Robertson was a truly two footed player. He played left side and created numerous goals for forest by swinging accurate crosses from the left dead ball line,with his left foot...but in the European cup final,he surprised Kaltz by cutting inside and swerving a great shot into the far corner with his right foot...his favoured foot.
John Robertson was an amazing player,the exact opposite of Sterling in every way... When he took penalties, he used his right foot,for example the one he stuck away at the Stretford end in the league cup final replay against Liverpool. Right foot.

Pep would have loved to coach John Robertson. A true versatile wing wizard.Sterling didn't have the confidence on his left side but had blinding pace..
Difficult to say who was the better player tho....all things considered.

When you say Raheem Sterling "never raised his game" in the Champions league final against Chelsea....

You do realise that Sterling was played on his weaker left side,by Pep...
And was marshalled superbly by Reece James..in my opinion the best Right Back in the World...when fit..
To understand Football you have to take into consideration being asked to play on the left in the biggest game of his life,by a manager who ..had his reasons to do so.

If you watch the footage of that champions league match,early doors Sterling does as much as he possibly can to get round James,but James followed him adroitly,every twist and turn ,and put in strong clean, tackles... every time ..,even in the 6 yard box when sterling drifted in on his stronger right foot .James was there to block,at risk of giving away a penalty. It was,in my opinion...A fascinating battle between two Great players,but Sterling was hampered ...by having to attack from the left...not his natural ,instinctive game. He still ran at James at full pelt multiple times going inside and out to the dead ball line but James had the pace dexterity and the perfectly timed robust challenge. Every time.

When Pep first came to City,Sterling had been in a wretched run of form with fans on his back under Manuel...playing on the left
Pep turned up, and in a pre season friendly ,away ,put Sterling on the right...
The players relief was instantly tangible..He could now express himself and attack on his stronger side,he played well in that match and carried his good form on into The season..scoring a lot of goals for City,important goals ..
I think Sterling had been playing on the left for a while by then and predominantly played on the left (very effectively on the whole) after Sane fell out of favour. If I remember correctly, he had his most effective goal scoring season playing from the left. He was very poor in the CL final but IMO our defeat was more down to not playing either Rodri or Fernandinho at DM.

I must admit I loved the season when we had Sane on the left and Sterling on the right.

I think Sterling had been playing on the left for a while by then and predominantly played on the left (very effectively on the whole) after Sane fell out of favour. If I remember correctly, he had his most effective goal scoring season playing from the left. He was very poor in the CL final but IMO our defeat was more down to not playing either Rodri or Fernandinho at DM.

I must admit I loved the season when we had Sane on the left and Sterling on the right.
We will have to agree to disagree then 're Sterling in the Champions league final v Chelsea. I just thought Reece had an outstanding game.
If ...Reece DID have an outstanding game...and his team won the match
I'm not sure how that instantly makes Sterling " very poor " that game.
I'll put it back to you...how do you think Reece James played that night ?

Your other points 're Sterling I can't comment / debate as I don't remember enough about the seasons,so I'll assume your correct.

I'll put it back to you...how do you think Reece James played that night ?
To be totally honest I don't really remember how James played that night. I tend to focus more on our players and my recollection is of Sterling having had a poor game. I must admit to not having watched the game since that night though.

Regardless, I am of the opinion that a winger has had a poor game if he can't be effective in some way against the opposing full back. Same for any other player.

Sterling looked as if he had tired with City for 2 seasons before he eventually left.

His match contributions and body language were diminishing.

Sterling was never an elite player despite his goals, high points and his own inflated opinion.

He was technically weak and lacked football intelligence as has been displayed in his performances in 20 months at Chavski.

I didn’t watch the Chav’s game last night but I always felt we had more control of the game when Sterling wasn’t in the starting 11. I’ve looked at last nights line ups and report, it seems the Chavs played well and was reflected in the 3-0 up after 50+’minutes.

Sterling came on and Villa scored late, did he do his usual of trying to beat too many players, running up blind alleys and giving the ball away?

After being booed on Sunday I can’t see anyway the Chav’s will continue with him, they’ll need to get back around £30m for him to avoid a loss on the books, however he’s on 338k per week for a further 3 seasons after this. Unless he’s jettisoned to Saudi there’s no team in Europe who will pay a transfer fee of £30m and commit to around £53m in wages.

I didn’t watch the Chav’s game last night but I always felt we had more control of the game when Sterling wasn’t in the starting 11. I’ve looked at last nights line ups and report, it seems the Chavs played well and was reflected in the 3-0 up after 50+’minutes.

Sterling came on and Villa scored late, did he do his usual of trying to beat too many players, running up blind alleys and giving the ball away?

After being booed on Sunday I can’t see anyway the Chav’s will continue with him, they’ll need to get back around £30m for him to avoid a loss on the books, however he’s on 338k per week for a further 3 seasons after this. Unless he’s jettisoned to Saudi there’s no team in Europe who will pay a transfer fee of £30m and commit to around £53m in wages.

We did very well when selling him to Chelsea and getting £40 million ( ? ) plus his salary at the time.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.