Raheem Sterling - Done - See main forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
United fans in work starting to p*** me off... Saying we have over paid, saying all this about him being a one-season wonder.

The end of the day, United have bought players like Anderson, Zaha, Fellani, Powell, etc. who in my opinion are overpriced. The thing with the Premier League is you can go any buy a £30m player and he ends up having a bad season, and someone like Michu or Kane steal the headlines. United payed £50m for Di Maria and he did nothing to shout about last season. They spent £100m+ and finished 4th with nothing else to play for, we had FFP on our backs and finished 2nd and knocked out of the UCL by the treble winners. Money isn't how you win the league, it's getting the right players. I think Sterling is a great signing, Welcome to Manchester Raheem.

Let's not gild the lily here. He's cost us, and Liverpool got 44+5m for him. The fact they they signed a deal with QPR which means they have to pass on some of that money is by the by. It just means they won't have the full whack available to spend. That's their issue, but it's cost us. We're happy with the deal, they're happy.
The fee has now gone, its not important anymore. I view it as a £44m fee anyway, and if we have to pay the full £5m extra it will mean we have won trophies, probably the Champions League, so it will have worked out. And personally I take great comfort in the fact they have to pay almost £9m to QPR straight away, and the rest could just about all be spent on Benteke.

They're gutted to lose him.

You can look at this a number of ways. On the one hand, £44m cash, regardless of the address, is undoubtedly a lot of money to pay for a 20 year old.

We've had to pay the usual home-grown premium as everyone knows we're desperate for English players. And, as has been said, any transfer is a risk but I'm far happier paying that money for Sterling than I was about paying a lot less for Delph. So you could see it as a bad deal for us and a good one for Liverpool.

On the other hand we've seen what he's capable of at his best plus he's a player that can move the ball upfield quickly and do things with it. Even if that doesn't lead directly to goals for him, it will give Sergio more time and space, which will certainly lead to goals.

Also they've only got a net £35m which will just about get them Benteke. He's a decent enough player but I don't see him really suiting their style. Would we have him? I doubt it.

It's also weakened them significantly and, for the second summer running, they've lost a top drawer player. If Ibe & Firmino do well then it's a gamble that would have paid off but if they don't and Sturridge still has injury problems, they could be in serious trouble a dozen or so games in.

United fans in work starting to p*** me off... Saying we have over paid, saying all this about him being a one-season wonder.

The end of the day, United have bought players like Anderson, Zaha, Fellani, Powell, etc. who in my opinion are overpriced. The thing with the Premier League is you can go any buy a £30m player and he ends up having a bad season, and someone like Michu or Kane steal the headlines. United payed £50m for Di Maria and he did nothing to shout about last season. They spent £100m+ and finished 4th with nothing else to play for, we had FFP on our backs and finished 2nd and knocked out of the UCL by the treble winners. Money isn't how you win the league, it's getting the right players. I think Sterling is a great signing, Welcome to Manchester Raheem.

Neither they, nor us know the future. We've paid a lot, but it's high stakes gambling for us. We might win, we might lose, but nobody knows.
Let's have a look in 5 years time and see how it panned out. Fergie said 'not in my lifetime', and got that wrong too.

No it's true.
Just txt my mate,playing dumb, whose a scouser saying - Orr whose this jerome sinclair you have? Supposed to be good isn't he?
He replied saying, yeah he's going to be the next one coming through. Really top prospect and exciting talent...
It was then down to me to tell him - yeah, well he's just turned down your new deal and told you he's leaving.
Hahaha shit the bed that's funny...but Liverpool are a top club!

Neither they, nor us know the future. We've paid a lot, but it's high stakes gambling for us. We might win, we might lose, but nobody knows.
Let's have a look in 5 years time and see how it panned out. Fergie said 'not in my lifetime', and got that wrong too.

True, we can sit back and relax. I have faith in our backroom staff.

28.1 million in 2001

The most expensive signing in Premiership history at the time

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/1423604.stm

You can look at this a number of ways. On the one hand, £44m cash, regardless of the address, is undoubtedly a lot of money to pay for a 20 year old.

We've had to pay the usual home-grown premium as everyone knows we're desperate for English players. And, as has been said, any transfer is a risk but I'm far happier paying that money for Sterling than I was about paying a lot less for Delph. So you could see it as a bad deal for us and a good one for Liverpool.

On the other hand we've seen what he's capable of at his best plus he's a player that can move the ball upfield quickly and do things with it. Even if that doesn't lead directly to goals for him, it will give Sergio more time and space, which will certainly lead to goals.

Also they've only got a net £35m which will just about get them Benteke. He's a decent enough player but I don't see him really suiting their style. Would we have him? I doubt it.

It's also weakened them significantly and, for the second summer running, they've lost a top drawer player. If Ibe & Firmino do well then it's a gamble that would have paid off but if they don't and Sturridge still has injury problems, they could be in serious trouble a dozen or so games in.

Yep, no matter what mega fee you receive for your best players, replacing them is always an uphill climb at best. If someone came in for Aguero at 100m, we'd still struggle to replace him.
We can work harder as a club to make up any financial impact, but it's harder for them to make up the playing impact.

Looks like another Liverpool player wants out!;)

Pete O'Rourke
@SportsPeteO
Liverpool striker Jerome Sinclair turns down new deal and asks to leave the club. #LFC
0 retweets0 favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.