Raheem Sterling - Done - See main forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my two cents on this transfer.

We are in desperate need of a HG players and we have just gone and got the best one, who is also only 20. Yes fucking 20 ! We have dreaded facing him and suddenly for people on here is an average joe with just a good half season ! He played 95 games for Liverpool and 16 for England at this age and its not because he is average. Secondly the fee is 44 rising to 49 (depending on trophies I have read) and not 49. I would have put down a fair price at around about 38 million rising to a bit more, but when you here Kane being valued at 40 million, Sterling should be 80. A lot of blues on here questioning the price need to realize if they would want a window like last year where we spend average amounts on average players or one where you want to spend 38 million on some one like Aguero.

He is the one transfer we HAD to make this window.

I will rest my case with the most frustrating clip of Sterling in the 2013/14 season for all those questioning his composure. People don't make Vinny look like that often.
Imagine this with Merlins passing and Aguero's finishing/runs.

13-04-2014-GifNumber-284.gif

What needs to be noted more consistently and vocally is that this figure is effectively what we paid Liverpool. They have only required more money because of the QPR situation. Liverpool have received a fair price. And a little more in add ons if successful etc. I have no issue with QPR taking the rest of that cash from Liverpool and hence us willing to pat that extra because its a fantastic deal for them and more clubs should ensure they secure a slice of young talent when losing them to bigger football clubs.

Also, that goal demonstrates three things which make this signing so important for us and in my opinion justifies the belief that this kid is the best young talent in European football. And this perception offers more than statistics again in my opinion.

1. His pace and reading of the line is unplayable

2. His calmness when receiving the ball in such a high pressured moment in a crucial football match against a world class defender shows a high level of emotional intelligence

3. His composure to not panic and look up and finish in such a calm, clinical and making it look easy fashion is again so impressive for what was at this stage a 19/20 year old player

I would also add - that this was when he was playing at such a high level alongside Suarez - he was unplayable during that run in. I think he burned out a bit physically and mentally last season as he was effectively carrying a big football club on his shoulders post Suarez and Sturridge's injury. They had no strikers really. Gerrard limping to retirement - they looked to this kid to solve their problems and it was far too much pressure to put on someone his age.

At City - he won't have that regardless of fee because we expect top class performances from Toure, Silva, Aguero (and whoever else we sign). He will also develop better as player training with those players as opposed to Danny Ings, Fabio Borini, Ricky Lambert, Jordan Henderson, Joe Allen, Lucas Leiva, who he trained with last season/pre season this year. In other words - he performed to well during that title challenging season because of Suarez. Logic suggests playing along side another top player in Aguero will see him produce this form as opposed to the tail end of last season.

Our owner hasn't spent a red cent on this transfer...

Negredo £23m + Sinclair £2.5m + Nastasic £8m + Tripper £700k + Suarez £4m

I thought the Negredo money went down on Bony?

As for the suggestion that Sterling has only had 1 good half season, its an absolute myth; I've just read he played more than all our midfielders last season, why was that the case if he was so bad? And he was just so average that they trusted him to play as the lone striker for much of the season.

Sterling has had his spells of poor form, as all young players (and flair players) do, but he is one of the (few) opposition players I have always hated going up against, in the same way Suarez was and Rooney is. Signings don't come much more exciting than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.