Raheem Sterling - Done - See main forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not getting it mate. If you buy a player for an amount of money then you accrue it in the accounts REGARDLESS of the payment terms.

But this is not about FFP.

Let me put it as simply as I can. LFC will be forecasting that revenue will increase year on year, especially as they are expanding the stadium. If we give them £40m cash then that would enable them to buy their own £60m player and pay over 3 instalments over 6 years. But they'll still have £20m of our cash in the bank to buy another £60m player on the same basis. They know with better tv money and match day income they can fund the second two payments, so we've enabled them to buy the players.

Another way to look at it is that they need to borrow £200m to develop a stadium. To borrow that cash will cost them £300m over ten years. Now, they need to borrow less so the loan of £160m will cost them £250m over ten years. We've saved them £10m by paying upfront.

Of course I'm simplifying it hugely, but cash upfront is more valuable than cash 'on tick' because of interest rates. I'm not even touching on the interest you can gain by having that cash in the bank.
As I said, for the stadium, the cash now is absolutely better as the contractor will want paying. For players, yes, they can spilt the £40m upfront as down payments on several players, but it depends what state their accounts are currently in. If they've got a hole going forwards due to lack of CL cash, they may prefer £20m now and £20m next year, they may not, neither of us knows. They could be banking on future cash windfalls, but that's what Leeds did...

I wasn't posting it for some dick measuring contest but just to point out how the two previous posts to mine were barking up the wrong tree.

They weren't far off. You'll still need to pay FSG back at some stage and the Sterling money could be used for that. Seeing as Sterling will be a huge one off profit and the stand a huge one off expenditure it'd be a more suitable use of the cash than squad investment, which as an ongoing process should be done from ongoing revenue and cash reserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.