Raheem Sterling | Joins Chelsea for £50m

Status
Not open for further replies.
35M for what is a clearly regressing player with one year left on his contract is fine business.

It really isn’t. He’s 27, he’s English, he scores on a regular basis, he makes great runs, he draws half a dozen penalties a season and, from a City perspective, he’s possessed of particular attributes that the squad as a whole is severely lacking in, most notably pace - not so much in running with the ball as without it.
There’s always been aspects to his game that I personally think have been somewhat lacking (lack of technique/control when dribbling or finishing), but they’re balanced out by the strengths, and I’d be reluctant to let him go at all - particularly given that the similarly mobile and tenacious Jesus is also heading for the exit - let alone for a paltry £35m. We should be asking double that, even allowing for the fact that prospective buyers might be put off when factoring wages into any deal, because the cost of adequately replacing him will be very expensive

Sterling will be a big loss to us as well if we can’t bring in the goals.

As it stands we’d be replacing the 21 league goals Sterling and Jesus scored between them last season with Haaland and Alvarez. Personally I’d back them to easily do that. There’s no reason why Foden couldn’t get 15 league goals either, and if Palmer plays more he’ll score too as he’s a brilliant finisher.

Chelsea getting better while they weaken City... Chelsea are big winners in this deal! Especially if there is no replacement.

It really isn’t. He’s 27, he’s English, he scores on a regular basis, he makes great runs, he draws half a dozen penalties a season and, from a City perspective, he’s possessed of particular attributes that the squad as a whole is severely lacking in, most notably pace - not so much in running with the ball as without it.
There’s always been aspects to his game that I personally think have been somewhat lacking (lack of technique/control when dribbling or finishing), but they’re balanced out by the strengths, and I’d be reluctant to let him go at all - particularly given that the similarly mobile and tenacious Jesus is also heading for the exit - let alone for a paltry £35m. We should be asking double that, even allowing for the fact that prospective buyers might be put off when factoring wages into any deal
His wages are the main issue unfortunately,there are only 2 or 3 clubs able to satisfy his salary demands,thankfully Chelsea are one of them.

50m would be amazing....but 35m,considering the above,and his right to walk away in 12 months,is not to be sniffed at.

It also allows us to plan for the future,which is imperative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.