Rainbow laces campaign

So anyway a very successful campaign for inclusion... didn't notice a single city player wearing rainbow laces. The rainbow city badge attracted 12k angry faces (I appreciate it got significantly more likes) and numerous comments attacking the club. What followed was a series of attacks generally based on people's religious beliefs telling them they aren't welcome at the club which is ironic seeing a number of our players are religious such as silva & toure and of course our owner. Great work by stonewall / paddy power.

Couldn't tell on TV if any players wore rainbow laces, but Fernandinho wore a rainbow armband, which is a more visible display of support.

Are you suggesting we shouldn't have supported the campaign because of the subsequent fall out on social media? We're a progressive, forward thinking club and should be challenging any bigoted views on homosexuality, whether they're for religious reasons or otherwise.

Couldn't tell on TV if any players wore rainbow laces, but Fernandinho wore a rainbow armband, which is a more visible display of support.

Are you suggesting we shouldn't have supported the campaign because of the subsequent fall out on social media? We're a progressive, forward thinking club and should be challenging any bigoted views on homosexuality, whether they're for religious reasons or otherwise.
I also never understand the line of reasoning "you can't criticise some religious views as some of our players and owner are religious".

It makes no sense whatsoever. I have no interest in their religious views. Their views on Top Gear or which book they are reading at present. I happen to support them when they are kicking a ball about for my club and that's it.

oh no some religious/homophobic nutters dont want to support us anymore.

moving on....

I couldn't see one player wearing them - and am pretty sure it would have been highlighted if they did (just as it was that Vardy wore them).

In terms of the captains arm band I don't think its proper to force someone to wear that - and as Fernandinho is an evangelical Christian its likely to be against his beliefs whether you agree with them or not.

In terms of the whole campaign I don't think it should have happened - someone's sexuality holds no interest to me and what someone gets up to behind closed doors is up to them and doesn't concern me. In the same way someone's religion is a private matter and whilst it will no doubt influence how they behave in public, and could well influence their opinions on homosexuality that's between them and their God and Im not going to attack them for it.

I couldn't see one player wearing them - and am pretty sure it would have been highlighted if they did (just as it was that Vardy wore them).

In terms of the captains arm band I don't think its proper to force someone to wear that - and as Fernandinho is an evangelical Christian its likely to be against his beliefs whether you agree with them or not.

In terms of the whole campaign I don't think it should have happened - someone's sexuality holds no interest to me and what someone gets up to behind closed doors is up to them and doesn't concern me. In the same way someone's religion is a private matter and whilst it will no doubt influence how they behave in public, and could well influence their opinions on homosexuality that's between them and their God and Im not going to attack them for it.

Who said he was forced to wear it?

I also never understand the line of reasoning "you can't criticise some religious views as some of our players and owner are religious".

It makes no sense whatsoever. I have no interest in their religious views. Their views on Top Gear or which book they are reading at present. I happen to support them when they are kicking a ball about for my club and that's it.

On the same basis I have no interest in whether our fans/ players/ management etc are homosexual so why do we need a campaign regarding it? I pay for a season ticket to watch City (I don't use it much as I don't live in England) - not watch displays about homosexuality etc.

For me if someone says something at a football match which is offensive to someone's sexuality they should be punished as per the law, just as you would be punished for saying something offensive about someone's race and that's it. All this other nonsense distracts from what im paying my money for - to watch City hopefully win.

Who said he was forced to wear it?
Every captain in the Premier League was given a rainbow armband to wear - whilst I appreciate he could probably have declined to be captain I doubt very much he could have declined to wear the arm band without making a statement which would have led to a ban / fine.

Every captain in the Premier League was given a rainbow armband to wear - whilst I appreciate he could probably have declined to be captain I doubt very much he could have declined to wear the arm band without making a statement which would have led to a ban / fine.

I doubt he was as bothered about it as you appear to be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.