Rate The Season

7/10

A good first half and joint top at New Year was pretty good. Then a poor period. After his injury it took Aguero a long time to get back to form. That combined with losing Negredo before the season commenced took its toll. Added to which Dzeko and Jovetic did not contribute much. That really hampered a team whose main objective is to outscore the other team rather than concentrate on clean sheets. Followed by a better finish than most of you were expecting.

I stopped going to FA Cup and Capital One cups this season so those performances were not an issue for me.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
7/8 out of 10?! people are blindly generous.

4/10 for me, carried by Kun for most of the season, stars such as Vinnie, Nasri, Yaya, Dzeko have failed, new signings haven't shone, miserably pathetic exit from the domestic cups, sneaked through in the CL, with our highlight of the season in Rome. Having a manager who failed completely this season, and needs to go, and a miserable surrender of our title once again, by the same core of players, with regular under-par performances and results.

Bad season and much surgery is needed for a new era next season. Least we know who's worthy of staying though.

Some of us actually enjoy going to the game and are not glass half empty

grim up north said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

4/10 for me, carried by Kun for most of the season, stars such as Vinnie, Nasri, Yaya, Dzeko have failed, new signings haven't shone, miserably pathetic exit from the domestic cups, sneaked through in the CL, with our highlight of the season in Rome. Having a manager who failed completely this season, and needs to go, and a miserable surrender of our title once again, by the same core of players, with regular under-par performances and results.

Bad season and much surgery is needed for a new era next season. Least we know who's worthy of staying though.

I enjoy going to the game.

Just too often this season I haven't enjoyed the leaving part after a miserable result and performance.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
grim up north said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

Just too often this season I haven't enjoyed the leaving part after a miserable result and performance.

I'm obviously going to different games than you then

grim up north said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
grim up north said:

Obviously, you must have missed our 9 draws and 14 defeats this season.

JoeMercer'sWay said:

looking a the number of posts you have made it looks as though you pore over your computer instead of watching football and learning a bit
I suggest you get out a bit more - maybe watch a bit of footie!!
There is no doubt we need some changes but fuck me - FFP completely banjaxed our transfers, completely banjaxed the squad for champs league and if you had been able to watch a few games you might have worked out that a lot of key players were playing with knocks, injuries etc for a considerable period of this season- they do not become bad players overnight and the gods were against us this season - add to that the fact we have had some seriously poor refereeing decisions against us.
we will actually win the league next year - it will happen just because we are the best team - it did not happen this year but really we are not a bad team, we have a very good squad which can be improved no doubts and we have a manager that thinks well and is not an absolute twat unlike many of his adversaries in the Prem!!

JoeMercer'sWay said:
grim up north said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

Well at home in the Premier League which is what most people watch it is 14 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats. I can live with that.

I don't think anyone, from the fans to the players to the boardroom would identify this season as a positive one, but all in all it could prove to be the making of us. This season has finally answered a lot of questions that have been lingering for the past few seasons.

- Harts standout performances in the champions league (especially Bayern and Barca away) put to rest any doubts about his future and contribution to the team. Every keeper has a wobble now and again, but Hart's form over the course of the season gives us assurance that he will be our number one for a fair few seasons after this, and it still seems there is a level or two in him yet.

- this season has also brought to light our over dependence on our top, top players, highlighting the areas around them weak and at times ineffective. The reputation of some players, in particular the likes of Kompany, Zabaleta and Fernandinho, was so cast-iron that we took their contributions as a given, as they usually provided match defining moments that didn't particularly involve much contribution from the rest of the team. With a post world cup hangover, and not much improvement to the squad with the new additions, formerly untouchable players became a cause for concern, and their dwindling leadership affected the rest of the squads ability to put together consistent match winning performances.

Silva and Aguero have arguably had their best seasons of their career, with Silva adding goals to his game and Aguero showing up more and more each game, that 4 goal performance against Spurs looked like a striker who was playing for fun, knowing full well he was many levels above the opposition, and his hat trick in the comeback game against Bayern highlighted his status as an elite player who could play for, but also compete against the very best in the world.

The group of players who have- for all their great contributions to the team- always had doubts over their ability, commitment and mentality have given us reason to believe they may need to move on from the club. Toure, Dzeko, Nasri and Kolarov have all endured less than favourable seasons, contributing to our vulnerability at the back and our bluntness up front. players that have provided moments of individual brilliance but are often erratic, and don't contribute enough to the entire teams philosophy. There will now no doubt, or sentiment, attached to the decisions over their futures, sentiment being the very thing some players played on at times, when really they needed to constantly be proving themselves worthy to the team.

All in all this season has been a major kick up the arse, having ignored the lessons we learned after the summer of 2011/12, we finally seem to be identifying major areas of weakness in our team, and touting young, hungry, semi proven players to replace them, so they can grow into a system designed to make them into a formidable team domestically and in europe. sometimes it takes a step back like this to take two forward, and it seems big changes are going to be made in order for us to make that jump from premier league challengers to champions league ones.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
grim up north said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

yes I must have, will return my season card immediately

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.