RB Leipzig (A) | CL | Post Match Thread

I thought Rico was awesome today. I am going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons though and say that today was the first time I felt like we missed Gundogan/David Silva. Foden was being man marked and had no idea how to lose the guy. Haaland was creating enormous amounts of space and there was noone there. Rodri was clearly playing in a more reserved role but it seemed to me like Foden was not playing intelligently at all. Alvarez demonstrated in quarter of an hour how to play a traditional number 10 role.

With regards to wing play. It seemed like Grealish reverted to how he played the season before last and kept being drawn into play unnecessarily, when he should have just been trusting and hugging the touchline. There was a moment where Haaland went to dummy the ball and run to leave to Grealish and Jack was stood just behind him. On the other wing, Bernardo is extremely adept in Champions League football and allowed Rico to have the performance that he did.

We looked really good i thought.

The shape, balance really suited the players and against footballing sides this could be our starting lineup for a while. It's a shame Rodri can't play against the arse :-(

Gvardiol, Rodri, Bernie, Rico and Phil were all superb.

I was surprised Rico started, but wow! He put in a brilliant performance and looked perfect for that right half, number 8, role.

Phil was my motm, he was excellent and took control in the second half.

I enjoyed that tonight, well played CITY!
Said it my my young lad.
Look at the difference when Rico gets a chance.
He ultimately goes out of his way to take it.
Yes that was the best I’ve seen of him, but let’s be fair to the lad. That was coming. He never hides when given a chance.
Compare that as many times as you like to Phillips. I hate being down on the lad. I really want him to succeed, but he hides. He doesn’t take the numerous chances to impress that he has been given. He hides.

Contrast it to Oscar Bobb even. The guy is getting the odd chance this season and he looks like he is determined to take his chance every time he gets on the pitch.

I thought Rico was so positive tonight. On receiving the ball every time, his first thought was to turn and go forward. One great assist and could have had a couple more. So positive.

I thought Rico was awesome today. I am going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons though and say that today was the first time I felt like we missed Gundogan/David Silva. Foden was being man marked and had no idea how to lose the guy. Haaland was creating enormous amounts of space and there was noone there. Rodri was clearly playing in a more reserved role but it seemed to me like Foden was not playing intelligently at all. Alvarez demonstrated in quarter of an hour how to play a traditional number 10 role.

With regards to wing play. It seemed like Grealish reverted to how he played the season before last and kept being drawn into play unnecessarily, when he should have just been trusting and hugging the touchline. There was a moment where Haaland went to dummy the ball and run to leave to Grealish and Jack was stood just behind him. On the other wing, Bernardo is extremely adept in Champions League football and allowed Rico to have the performance that he did.
In fairness, we played an uncommonly defensive set-up tonight. Walker, Dias, Gvardiol, Akanji, Lewis, and Rodri were all playing "behind the ball" so to speak, and it meant Foden got a bit isolated behind Haaland. I think if you switch out Lewis or Akanji tonight for Kovacic, Nunes - or Kevin when he's fit - Foden's trouble off the ball probably wouldn't be quite as pronounced.

Tough game tonight, though. We looked good for the majority. Excellent result as well.

Agree with most points but not this
Their team and tactics did nothing to trouble us. The only time they managed to do a single thing all game was when we sloppily gifted them possession when we had players out of position.

If we’d have been sharper with our passing and decision making tonight that would have been about 0-6.

I thought it was our easiest game of the season so far and we didn’t even play that well.

Could this be his song?

Rico Lewis Ole,
Rico Lewis Ole,
Rico Lewis Ole,
Ole, Ole, Ole...
Ole, Ole, Ole...
(repeat)

Discus!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.